The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

It's amazing how wound up some people get about Ryan Tubridy. Like really annoyed about him and even a bit of hatred. What's the big deal?  Don't watch him if you don't like him.  There's are plenty of channels. 

Dougal Maguire

The reason people get wound up is because The Late Late Show is a much loved institution and people hate to see it in poor hands. It would be akin to finding out that Honeysuckle had been sold and the new owner was using her to plough fields
Careful now

Cunny Funt

Even with years of experience in the Late Late show hot seat he always came across as forced/fake personality and uncomfortable in his style of interviewing and presenting the show. 

Itchy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 16, 2023, 09:19:59 PM
Even with years of experience in the Late Late show hot seat he always came across as forced/fake personality and uncomfortable in his style of interviewing and presenting the show.

In comparison to patronizing Gay Byrne and wooden Pat Kenny I thought he was much better. The bar was low. I think he does a great job of the toy show. Imagine Miriam O Callaghan doing the toy show ffs.

Capt Pat

A more comedic light entertainment approach is needed for this show.

AustinPowers

Cut the show  to an hour or 1  hour 15.  Quality not quantity.

Have less dreary   issues discussed

Most interviews on TLLS  I can't wait to  finish.  With tommy tiernan , I  don't want most interviews to end.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Itchy on March 16, 2023, 10:28:20 PM
In comparison to patronizing Gay Byrne and wooden Pat Kenny I thought he was much better. The bar was low. I think he does a great job of the toy show. Imagine Miriam O Callaghan doing the toy show ffs.

At least Gay Byrne had a certain amount of charisma about him. I agree about Pat very wooden. 

trileacman

I couldn't stand Tubridy, hated his fakeness with a passion. But the Tommy Tiernan show grates me an awful lot too. The first few times it was grand but not every interview should descend into a tortured examination of the meaning of life.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

paddyjohn

Tubridy is a proper West Brit.

Glad he's gone.

seafoid

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 16, 2023, 11:14:02 PM

Most interviews on TLLS  I can't wait to  finish.  With tommy tiernan , I  don't want most interviews to end.
The LLS is live and longer.
The Tiernan show is edited and much shorter. So of course it's sharper.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tony Baloney

The LLS is a hard gig to pull off. A 2 hour live show is a big enough challenge but the content varies wildly from light and fluffy to people who have lost children or are dying from something, and everything in between. It also has to get "names" to attract people to watch who otherwise wouldn't bother and it's clearly difficult to get names all year round, hence we have repetition in the guest list. It's not all Tubs' fault - he's great with children but poor with sportspeople as sport in general seems to have passed him by for some reason. Good luck to whoever takes it over (likely to be a woman).

RedHand88

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on March 16, 2023, 10:50:35 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on March 16, 2023, 10:42:30 PM
A more comedic light entertainment approach is needed for this show.
Yer arse. It's not Friday night entertainment if you can't listen to intricate detail of a person's afflictions.

"And how did it make you feel... being treated like that?"

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on March 17, 2023, 06:13:21 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on March 16, 2023, 11:14:02 PM

The LLS is live and longer.
The Tiernan show is edited and much shorter. So of course it's sharper.

Tiernan's show has to be edited as there is always a chance of controversy.

Look-Up!

TLLS can be fairy harrowing alright. The one Kenny done with the GAA man with swollen blood, that was very sad but probably his best moment.

Rudi

I think the route to take is to rotate the host of the late late show on a weekly basis.