Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardchieftain

Ive been on an Irving Welsh buzz recently, what a talented writer.

Anyone know of any other writers in the same vein?

charlieTully

Quote from: ardchieftain on November 09, 2022, 07:37:03 PM

He's the best. Ive never been able to find anyone remotely close.

Main Street

Quote from: charlieTully on November 10, 2022, 01:47:26 PM

Irvine lads, Irvine.

charlieTully

Quote from: Main Street on November 11, 2022, 12:08:16 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 10, 2022, 01:47:26 PM

Irvine lads, Irvine.

Lol. Never even noticed.

Substandard

Never read this thread, so this may have been mentioned already, but archive.org is a fantastic online library, just search by title or author.  All the books have been scanned, so it feels like you are reading a book moreso than just digital text.
Back reading Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat, such a little gem of a novel.  And if you like the films The Shawshank Redemption or The Green Mile, the original books are so many times better.

Jell 0 Biafra

Welsh usually annoys me.  Only one I unreservedly loved was Maribou Stork Nightmares.

For me, the writer whom I like who is closest to Welsh--in one of his novels only--is Robert McLiam Wilson. The book is Ripley Bogle.  It is terrific.  Homeless Northern Irish bloke in London telling his story.  He is just a superb writer.

Orior

If you like books, and you like history, then I thoroughly recommend "A Short History of Europe" by Simon Jenkins. From Pericles to Putin.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thedice

Just finished

Stuart: A life backwards

Deeply, deeply moving

Any suggestions for the best book I've never read?

andoireabu

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Tony Baloney

Just finishing 'Close to Home' by Michael Magee and it is as good as I have read for years.

AustinPowers

So,  about 10 years ago ,  I bought  Dubliners  and Ulysses by James  Joyce

I  was sick looking at  them on the shelf a few weeks ago I started Dubliners.  A dozen or two pages in, I  thought what  the hell is  this shite ?  , But I  thought no, By Christ I'm gonna fecking read you ya bollix,  if it's the  last thing I do.

It's finished  thank feck , but still  of the  same opinion.  What was that  shite about? 

It might be  another 10  years before I tackle Ulysses . Or  maybe never

Anyway... was Joyce  overrated?  Any thoughts?

LeoMc

Just finished The Coward by Jared McGinnis. A well written autobiography?

StephenC

Quote from: AustinPowers on June 01, 2023, 10:49:36 PM

I  was sick looking at  them on the shelf a few weeks ago I started Dubliners.  A dozen or two pages in, I  thought what  the hell is  this shite ?  , But I  thought no, By Christ I'm gonna fecking read you ya bollix,  if it's the  last thing I do.

It's finished  thank feck , but still  of the  same opinion.  What was that  shite about? 

That's the general feedback on Joyce's work. I've had a stab at Ulysses a couple of times but it's too much like hard work. Having to re-read sections and google sh1t is not my definition of enjoyment.

NAG1

Any recommendations for good audio books for chilling out too holiday wise?

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: StephenC on June 02, 2023, 09:27:07 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on June 01, 2023, 10:49:36 PM

That's the general feedback on Joyce's work. I've had a stab at Ulysses a couple of times but it's too much like hard work. Having to re-read sections and google sh1t is not my definition of enjoyment.

I've had several attempts at Ulysses over the years and I've come to the conclusion is for intellectual snobs who suffer from pretentious condescension. The old adage of "it's doesn't conquer you but you have to conquer it" is applicable here. TBH even beckets plays fall under the same umbrella, has anyone ever figured out "Waiting for Godot" either.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets