Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

I know there has been loads of threads on this subject but....best books read recently anyone????

Cos I'm  a tight hoor I've just got around to reading Paul McGrath's (out in paperback now).....genuinely shocking what that man went through and what he put his family through as well.... I defy you not to be moved by it.

To paraphrase Ferguson when speaking to someone about him when he played against and beat Man United while playing for Derby County at the end of his career.

"How good would he have been if he didnt drink?"

ICON
The Aristocrat Years

J70

I'm reading "Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic" by Tom Holland at the moment. Very easy to read, and a fascinating period in history.

Aerlik

I'm over half way through reading "Mother tongues" by Helena Drysdale.  It's an account of an 18-month journey around Europe cataloguing the progress or demise of some of Europe's lesser known languages.  After that I'll be tackling "1688" again.  A great historical account of a year that, more than most, changed dramatically the world.  I've got hold of a great book for a couple of squid in a library sale here in Oz, called "China: Land of invention and discovery".  Damn they were clever buggers those Chinese. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Out in Front

"Feet in the clouds" - A tale of Fell-Running and obsession (Richard Askwith)
Askwith's an editor with the Independent in London who just got into fell-running.

A bit sceptical when I got this to be honest but it turned out to be a great book which I really couldn't put down.

CiKe

Just started "A Thousand Spendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini author of the "Kite Runner". very good so far. if you haven't read the "Kite Runneri'd definitely recommend it.

ONeill

I have to buy a lad, 52, a Man Utd book. He's retiring. Anything out there of note?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J70

cavanmaniac

Just finished the 'Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. Very unusual but touching book.

pintsofguinness

Just finished "Diffusion of Innovations" by  Everett M. Rogers.

Fascinating!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ONeill

Who read it for you?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrones own

Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill
  Fantastic Reading.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

stephenite

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on June 09, 2007, 10:46:22 PM
Just started the Life of Pi. Havent a baldy what its about yet.

Stick with it Mac - a fantastic read.

Norf Tyrone

Geez lads we're all very intelligent!

I am still reading May's edition of 442 magazine!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Hardy

Quote from: stephenite on June 10, 2007, 04:15:25 AM
Quote from: Mac Eoghain on June 09, 2007, 10:46:22 PM
Just started the Life of Pi. Havent a baldy what its about yet.

Stick with it Mac - a fantastic read.

I second that.

Of everything I've read in the last five years, I'd put Sebastian Barry's "A Long Long Way" at the top of the list. For a good laugh "Tragically I was an Only Twin" - a collection of Peter Cook's comic writings.

Books I've started but didn't bother finishing recently include A Short History of Nearly Everything (where Bryson puzzlingly loses his touch), The Lunar Men and A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian. (It must be a short history thing).

Fishead_Sam

The Ross O'Carroll Kelly books are class the character is such a likeable a55hole, if you a D4 head you will think its funny & if you a Nortside Scobie, Muck Savage Culchie or a Nordie you will funny too.