Premier League 2023-2024

Started by Dire Ear, July 31, 2022, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

All 3 with very winnable games. All in Everton's hands now.

AustinPowers

I have a  soft spot for  both Everton  and Leicester.  But  one of them  has to go down.  That's a pity , but both  teams (and Leeds)  have had  terrible  seasons tbh

manfromdelmonte

Everton will only stay up because the other teams down there are so bad

bournemouth have already given the Toffees two trimmings this season

statto

The worry for Leicester and Leeds would be that Bournemouth are "on the beach".  I would imagine there be a serious atmosphere at Goodison for this one.  Everton will need DCL fit for this one as Simms and Maupay not up to it.  Would expect Leicester to dispose of West Ham as their focus will be elsewhere and Leeds could well beat Spurs as they are awful.  If Leicester go down be some good signings available in the summer Maddison, Barnes, Tielemens.  Big mistake they made was not replacing Schmeichel Danny Ward and Iversen are championship keepers at best. 

quit yo jibbajabba

Sayin it was DCLs hammy the other day..if he missin could change things. Interesting...

johnnycool

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 23, 2023, 12:10:18 PM
Sayin it was DCLs hammy the other day..if he missin could change things. Interesting...

Michael Keane to be deployed then, he's as many goals and more assists than DCL...

Only joking, Everton need a big one and for Bournemouth not to give a shiny shíte..

Hound

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on May 20, 2023, 08:24:58 PM
Walked in during the Liverpool offside goal VAR review, so I'm assuming I missed something. But can anyone shed any light on why it take so long to review? The furthermost Liverpool player looked several feet offside.
That was a bit of an odd/interesting one.

Ball played to the back post where Diaz was onside and Virgil offside.

Diaz got to the ball and played it backwards across the goal. At this stage Virgil is behind Diaz but closer to the end line and not interfering.
Diaz's cross was intercepted by a Villa player around the peno spot who sent it towards the end line. By this stage Virgil was on the end line, and he sent it back into the danger area where Gakpo scored.

It came down to whether the Villa player deliberately played the ball, or whether it just hit off him and he wasn't in control. If he deliberately played the ball, then it's a new phase of play and Virgil would be onside (as can't be offside from defender's pass). However, if it was accidental / just a rebound, then it's still the same phase of play and while he wasn't interfering when Diaz played the ball, Virgil clearly interfers when he plays the ball so would be offside.

Officials decided eventually that the ball hit the Villa defender rather than the he deliberately played it, so offside was the decision.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: johnnycool on May 23, 2023, 12:19:07 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 23, 2023, 12:10:18 PM

Michael Keane to be deployed then, he's as many goals and more assists than DCL...

Only joking, Everton need a big one and for Bournemouth not to give a shiny shíte..

Set up nicely for Sun. All 3 away teams could be on the subeds already but with the pressure off could actually improve some of them

statto

Quote from: Hound on May 23, 2023, 01:49:41 PM
Walked in during the Liverpool offside goal VAR review, so I'm assuming I missed something. But can anyone shed any light on why it take so long to review? The furthermost Liverpool player looked several feet offside.

Diaz got to the ball and played it backwards across the goal. At this stage Virgil is behind Diaz but closer to the end line and not interfering.
Diaz's cross was intercepted by a Villa player around the peno spot who sent it towards the end line. By this stage Virgil was on the end line, and he sent it back into the danger area where Gakpo scored.

It came down to whether the Villa player deliberately played the ball, or whether it just hit off him and he wasn't in control. If he deliberately played the ball, then it's a new phase of play and Virgil would be onside (as can't be offside from defender's pass). However, if it was accidental / just a rebound, then it's still the same phase of play and while he wasn't interfering when Diaz played the ball, Virgil clearly interfers when he plays the ball so would be offside.

Officials decided eventually that the ball hit the Villa defender rather than the he deliberately played it, so offside was the decision.
From watching it back on match of the day looked pretty clear that was a deliberate attempt to play the ball and goal should have stood.  Liverpool left themselves too much to do and on balance united and newcastle deserve to be in the top 4. 

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Hound on May 23, 2023, 01:49:41 PM

Thanks Hound!

lurganblue

As a Villa supporter, i think it should have stood as a goal.  Konsa does make an action to play the ball, albeit a poor one. I'm not as keen on the calls for a red card for Mings though.  I thought a yellow was right.

TabClear

Quote from: lurganblue on May 24, 2023, 09:04:41 AM
As a Villa supporter, i think it should have stood as a goal.  Konsa does make an action to play the ball, albeit a poor one. I'm not as keen on the calls for a red card for Mings though.  I thought a yellow was right.

I would agree with both points on this. I see very little difference between the Mings incident and the Jota high foot against Spurs and I did not think that was a red.

quit yo jibbajabba

I think it was the comparative outrage on the two incidents which was more annoying, think Mings didnt even get shown on MOTD

seafoid

Both Everton and Leeds were involved in the relegation story last season as well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer