Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Cavan19 on February 07, 2020, 10:26:02 AM
Quote from: Westside on February 07, 2020, 10:19:47 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on February 06, 2020, 09:28:22 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 05, 2020, 10:58:12 PM
Big blow, Niall Murray out for the rest of the league and probably the whole year. Devastating.

Elsewhere Mackey transferring from castlerahan to mullinalaghta.

A loss but hardly devastating.

Our main freetaker who had finally eased our freetaking woes, one of the most experienced players on the panel reaching his peak, in the context of the number of lads who had already left I would agree it's a devastating blow for the team and Niall himself.

Nobody has died and i doubt many will be losing sleep over it.

Its a blow to the team he was one of the best players last year but they are going to have to move on.

Cavan19 - I used the term devastating in terms of football and our hopes as a football team for 2020. I did not use the term in the context of a death in the family. Hope that clarifies things for you.

Cavan19

Quote from: Itchy on February 07, 2020, 11:47:11 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on February 07, 2020, 10:26:02 AM
Quote from: Westside on February 07, 2020, 10:19:47 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on February 06, 2020, 09:28:22 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 05, 2020, 10:58:12 PM
Big blow, Niall Murray out for the rest of the league and probably the whole year. Devastating.

Elsewhere Mackey transferring from castlerahan to mullinalaghta.

A loss but hardly devastating.

Our main freetaker who had finally eased our freetaking woes, one of the most experienced players on the panel reaching his peak, in the context of the number of lads who had already left I would agree it's a devastating blow for the team and Niall himself.

Nobody has died and i doubt many will be losing sleep over it.

Its a blow to the team he was one of the best players last year but they are going to have to move on.

Cavan19 - I used the term devastating in terms of football and our hopes as a football team for 2020. I did not use the term in the context of a death in the family. Hope that clarifies things for you.

Point taken

Look-Up!

Every injury now to players with experience will be magnified I'm afraid. We can't really afford anymore with the bare squad. Hoping for some big performances again this weekend but inclined to temper expectations as inconsistency tends to be the name of the game in this division at the best of times.   

Westside

We 'kicked into gear' at half time during the Meath game 4 years ago but that was the strongest squad we've had in the last decade. Comparisons don't make sense.

The amount of games where we have played well for a full game under Graham is very minimal. Drifting out of games before making spirited comebacks, firing ahead and then letting the other team back into it. Or just entire games of out and out drudgery.

I think the current optimism is wholly unwarranted. That said, i'm looking forward to Sunday.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on February 07, 2020, 03:49:04 PM
We 'kicked into gear' at half time during the Meath game 4 years ago but that was the strongest squad we've had in the last decade. Comparisons don't make sense.

The amount of games where we have played well for a full game under Graham is very minimal. Drifting out of games before making spirited comebacks, firing ahead and then letting the other team back into it. Or just entire games of out and out drudgery.

I think the current optimism is wholly unwarranted. That said, i'm looking forward to Sunday.

You could be right but I would just also point out that it is Laois we are playing, up from Div3 and missing some their best players. The last day we won with a man down and in truth some of our main men didnt play at all - Gearoid and Martin Reilly especially, Gerry Smith intermittently. I am not uber confident but I still think we could have enough to get the job done and that bit of confidence we got last week could be the difference.

Look-Up!

We'll see what the starting team and bench options are like but could be down well as there's a few touch and go apparently.

Look-Up!

Wonder when they'll reschedule the match. At least the break might help clear up a few injuries.

Cavan19

Itchy

1pm Sunday next. Hopefully a few injuries may have eased. Div 2 is looking like a real tough slog, a team on 6 pts has been relegated before and with our score difference after Armagh we need to be aiming for 7 pts. That means Laois is one we really need to be going after.

Itchy

Brilliant result today, unfortunately I couldnt go and was relying on Northern Sound. Seemed like things went our way at critical times of the match, a lucky goal and a black card for Laois in 1st half injury time, a missed penalty which could have ensured a grandstand finish if it had gone in. However winning in dirty conditions like that on the road is real character building stuff and 3-10 is a great score on such a day. If we can go and beat Fermanagh then no reason we couldnt start looking up the table instead of behind us.

Delighted to see Pearson and Gerry Smith knocking over a few scores too, again if they get their confidence up it could be a great help. Sounded like Thomas Galligan did well again and Martin Reilly improved greatly from last week.

Well done to them, the pressure was really on after the Armagh result and the boys have answered  their critics well.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on February 16, 2020, 05:53:13 PM
Brilliant result today, unfortunately I couldnt go and was relying on Northern Sound. Seemed like things went our way at critical times of the match, a lucky goal and a black card for Laois in 1st half injury time, a missed penalty which could have ensured a grandstand finish if it had gone in. However winning in dirty conditions like that on the road is real character building stuff and 3-10 is a great score on such a day. If we can go and beat Fermanagh then no reason we couldnt start looking up the table instead of behind us.

Delighted to see Pearson and Gerry Smith knocking over a few scores too, again if they get their confidence up it could be a great help. Sounded like Thomas Galligan did well again and Martin Reilly improved greatly from last week.

Well done to them, the pressure was really on after the Armagh result and the boys have answered  their critics well.

If anyone says Doughty was going for goal they're delusional  ;D Came at a brilliant time for us though, looked like we had spurned the wind advantage and that would have settled the nerves. We had spurned 3 good goal scoring opportunities in the first half, Gerry Smith went himself when he should have laid it off, James Smith caught a fumbled ball by the keeper and didn't make the most of it and Thomas Galligan missed Gearoid off his shoulder and he was through 1 on 1.

You're exactly right at things going right for us at critical times, I was expecting Laois to come out all guns blazing and instead we put a nice move together and Stephen Murray palmed to the net. After that we never looked in trouble and mopped up nearly everything Laois threw at us. Ably assisted by some terrible shot selection and decision making by Laois.

The players worked exceptionally hard which was one of the most pleasing parts of the performance. Still plenty of things to work on and I'd say we will have our work cut out for us next weekend in Brewster.
Interested to see James Smith develop as an inside forward. There's potential there but still very raw.

Denn Forever

Great win and good use of the bench.  Good discipline on the field.  Didn't seem we were missing players.  Galligan seemed unplayable and Pierson seemed to be everywhere.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Westside

We benefitted yesterday from a referee who let a lot go. Still think our tackling discipline needs to improve. Pierson on 3 occasions wrapped up an opposition player in a bear hug to the disgust/laughter of the crowd. He wont get away with that every day.

Look-Up!

Congratulations to team on massive result Sunday. Great to see new faces stepping up to the plate again and coupled with some big shifts from a few of the older lads. Considering the conditions, it away from home and an unseasoned team it bodes well. We're coping well physically anyway.
3 points more should see us safe barring a crazy set of results (which you wouldn't rule out in this Division). 2 home games and 2 away games so it's doable. Fermanagh next up will be extremely tough and physical especially in Brewster. If we can take something from this game we should be safe with 3 games to ensure it. If we get a win, with 2 home games left and away to Kildare, we could even start dreaming of a day out in Croker.

Itchy

Super result last night in very tough conditions. Pitch looked ok but it clearly wasnt as ball was not bouncing on parts of the pitch. We withstood a lot of pressure near the end and I suppose were a little fortunate with the goals in that they defended them very poorly. 6 day turn around from the last game also on a very heavy pitch would also have been a factor but fitness held up fairly well.

I was very impressed with Holla and Oisin Kiernan, frequently taking on the defensive line and breaking through. I thought Faulkner was pretty solid and Martin Reilly with the old head doing sensible things in shitty conditions. Galligan and Conroy tried hard but were up against two top midfielders, I suppose they broke even overall maybe. Tough day for the forwards, Oisin Pierson got one beauty and another from a mark but it was great to see Gearoid back scoring freely kicking 4 excellent points from play and another from a mark. We deserved the points, just about.

Fair play to these lads who have stuck at it and are clearly a united team, wins in conditions like this and last week are character building. No reason we cant beat Clare and give an under performing Kildare team a rattle too.