Armagh V Monaghan - Round 1 Qualifier - 4 July

Started by AFS, June 06, 2009, 08:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I thought McManus was the best of the young lads. He has taken the step up well and will be a key player.
Clerkin looked to be out of puff after 10 minutes. Eoin Lennon did well to come into it more in the 2nd half.

Schkite

Quote from: Zulu on July 04, 2009, 11:20:12 PM
QuoteYou have a point but all I'm saying is that alot of people lay all the blame with Monaghan, while there's clearly two sides whenever there's a game like that. Monaghan have gained somewhat of a reputation over the last while, which is very exaggerated.

I'm not sure it is exaggerated Schkite, from what I've seen in both league and championship it is well deserved. I would have loved to see Monaghan win something these past few years but I'm not sure ye are playing football anymore.

What have you seen in the league to suggest this? We played some brilliant stuff in the league this year. It's only in the last two games that it's got that bad, and again it's not just down to us.

In fairness I think many teans have recieved a similar amount of criticizim but Monaghan are taking it to new heights IMO, now don't get me wrong Armagh were brutal as well and IMO but Ulster football is suffering from too much analysis and not enough of focus is on playing football which by the way ye are damn good at when ye want to. The view seemws to be that a coach is only good if he can set up a team defensively but most Ulster teams do quite poorly against southern opposition sand IMO this is because Ulster teams are too defensive.

You've a good point there about how Ulster football has gone, too much analysis and not enough football. But that's the way it's been going for a while, and we were whipping boys in this way of playing as it's hard to combat with little resources and a small pool of players. So we adapted and we're now in a position of actually competing. I'm sorry if we can't play like Tyrone or Kerry but we have to make do with what we have.

I still don't think we've took it to new heights at all though.

jimbo

Quote from: Carbery on July 04, 2009, 11:24:48 PM
Can anyone confirm just how bad Finian Moriarty's injury is - I assume he must have an injury to be replaced by Aidan O'Rourke.

How did this man stay on the field - brutal!

Oakleafer1993

The rte cameras showed him and another monaghan player holding a Armagh player ( ithink McDonnell or Clarke) and he is seen punching him off the ball.

Main Street

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 04, 2009, 11:26:32 PM
Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on July 04, 2009, 11:24:56 PM
If their is any justice - Woods should get the same ban as Freeman. He was well caught in the act by the television cameras. Monaghan have brought football too a new low this year. This will be hopefully highlighted on the sunday game. Even a Monaghan player ( i think hughes) going down with the knees on Vernon, at the start of first half,  hoping to clash the head. Dirty shower.

What did Woods do? Did Stevie deserve the red?

Couldn't get over Vinny Corey's blatant attempt to get Ronan sent off. Would have expected better.
I think Woods did the same as Steven McDonnell, strike to the face.

I'd keep an open mind on Vinny Corey, he looked to have got a whack on his collar bone.

jodyb

If their is any justice - Woods should get the same ban as Freeman. He was well caught in the act by the television cameras. Monaghan have brought football too a new low this year. This will be hopefully highlighted on the sunday game. Even a Monaghan player ( i think hughes) going down with the knees on Vernon, at the start of first half,  hoping to clash the head. Dirty shower.

Couldn't get over Vinny Corey's blatant attempt to get Ronan sent off. Would have expected better.
Mone held on to him after the ball had gone and he threw the elbow back. Understandable, but stupid.

Schkite

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 04, 2009, 11:25:48 PM
QuoteStevie McDonnell's outward showing of frustration resulting in his sending off is understandable given  he realises that apart from himself and Ronan Clarke, armagh are one of the worst starting 15 in Irleand.

They honestly need to analyse the behaviour of some of them Monaghan boys on video or something. Dessie Mone, your man Woods, Corey and Dick Clerkin are at a serious amount of badness in every game they play.  Corey could be a great footballer too if it wasn't for that. Dessie Mone would be a half decent half back - he's poor at corner back and his behaviour is a disgrace. Woods could be really good too. Clerkin isn't great though.

Sorry but this is complete bullshit. First of all Corey is very rarely involved in any "badness", I don't know where you got that from. Very lazy statement. I was disappointed to see him go down holding his face for no reason, but apart from that what did he do? Have known him for years and he's not that type of player at all, very honest. He was one of the few players to not get involved in any bullshit in the Derry game and was one of our best players.

Dessie is a very good corner-back, look at how much he concedes from his men! None from play again tonight. Poor corner-back? He's had 2 all-star nominations in the last 2 years, he's hardly poor.

Wish Woods could focus more on the football though, the game mostly passed him by tonight while he was messing with the Armagh boys. He's a fantastic player though, our best against Kerry the last 2 years, MOTM in 07.

corn02

Just in myself and there's not much more to be said, awaful.

Must have been where I was sittinhg but I thought Marty had a grand game, won plenty of break and was an effective link man, also made a number of strong tackles. Bit harsh I thought.

Aidan was not at the races, no surprise to see him come off.

McEvoy steady and dealt well with what he had too.

Mallon is just a class act, his anticpation is superb.

I said Donaghy is the best of our young bunch and, again, he was brilliant. Our best player on the field.

Shannon had another good outing. Two matches, both times men taken off. One bad wide.

Aaron was excellent for me. One of our best.

McKeever had possibly his worst outing in an Armagh shirt. A bad day at the office.

Aidan, as stated, was very poor.

Toner. Non exsistent. Has a midfield ever been cleaned out like that before?

Lavery 0- was doing well , must have been injured.

Vernon - In and out. How the ref did not stop the game when he took that big hit was beypond me.

Duffy - didn't want a piece of it. A number of times McEvoy wanted to give him a short kickout and he turned his back.

Marty- In an out but I thought he done well, looks like I'll be on my own.

Mallon - some good play, hosital pass to vernon.

McDonnell - Poor, poor showing. I think he may retire.

Clarke - a gem of a player. Poor man has had every ref sinning against him all year. How he doesn't lose the rag.

Subs

TK - Will never play a worse matc hin his life. People will probably write him off afater this, but the lad has talent. Just a poor day.

Barnsey - very impressive, very direct.

Forker - Looks a good prospect.

PK - One ballk and was skint by Woods for it. Hopefully he devlops and gives us an option.

Henserson - Not much to say.

O'Neill - nice point.

Titch - not much time to make an impact.

tyronefan

Noticed a few of the Armagh team cramping up mid way through the 2nd half of normal time.

I would think their fitness levels should be a lot better than that at this time of the year

corn02

Also meant to add, a woprd on the ref - disgrace.

But his performance did not lose it for us, we shoulkd have been well beaten in normal time.

While Armagh fans are the bigges louts, Monaghan fans are the most ignorant bunch I have met.

holylandsniper

One positive that hopefully will come out of this -  it is if it becomes the end of the PMcD/JK era

Note to Corn on his ratings pretty spot on execpt on McKeever the jb he was given by the clowns management he done it - pity they didnt realise it was a bad tactic

corn02

Just reading OrchardCounty and Marty is getting a pasting there too so I could be wrong on that one. I thought he done well, he was in the full back line and in the full forward line, covered some ground. But, as I said, it looks like I am on my own. So willing to be proved wrong.

imtommygunn

Schitke Mone is not a great corner back.

McDonnell set up scores and won every ball of him. He's lost a yard of pace and appeared afraid to shoot tonight for some reason. Against Derry Paddy Bradley did likewise and scored two from play. The only reason he only scored two was because every time be beat Mone he'd about two or three others to beat. Not Mone's play I would have said, more that he has people to cover him.

Maybe I'm being harsh on Corey but what he did tonight he did against Derry. He went down holding his face, no-one batted an eyelid, and he kept sneaking a look up to see if the ref or linesman had seen "it". Then when he got no attention he just got up because there was nothing wrong with him. Your goalie did the same... I hate that kind of behaviour.

JMohan

Quote from: Schkite on July 04, 2009, 11:35:51 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 04, 2009, 11:25:48 PM
QuoteStevie McDonnell's outward showing of frustration resulting in his sending off is understandable given  he realises that apart from himself and Ronan Clarke, armagh are one of the worst starting 15 in Irleand.

They honestly need to analyse the behaviour of some of them Monaghan boys on video or something. Dessie Mone, your man Woods, Corey and Dick Clerkin are at a serious amount of badness in every game they play.  Corey could be a great footballer too if it wasn't for that. Dessie Mone would be a half decent half back - he's poor at corner back and his behaviour is a disgrace. Woods could be really good too. Clerkin isn't great though.

Sorry but this is complete bullshit. First of all Corey is very rarely involved in any "badness", I don't know where you got that from. Very lazy statement. I was disappointed to see him go down holding his face for no reason, but apart from that what did he do? Have known him for years and he's not that type of player at all, very honest. He was one of the few players to not get involved in any bullshit in the Derry game and was one of our best players.

Dessie is a very good corner-back, look at how much he concedes from his men! None from play again tonight. Poor corner-back? He's had 2 all-star nominations in the last 2 years, he's hardly poor.

Wish Woods could focus more on the football though, the game mostly passed him by tonight while he was messing with the Armagh boys. He's a fantastic player though, our best against Kerry the last 2 years, MOTM in 07.
I agree with you on Corey - rarely involved in off the ball stuff

Moen is a t***p though - you have to admit it, and when he comes out with the ball he's the least comfortable of the players on the ball. All Star my eye.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Main Street on July 04, 2009, 11:33:04 PM

I think Woods did the same as Steven McDonnell, strike to the face.

I'd keep an open mind on Vinny Corey, he looked to have got a whack on his collar bone.
Yeah, and he was treated for that but why did he go down clutching his face until he seen the ref wasn't buying it?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?