Armagh V Monaghan - Round 1 Qualifier - 4 July

Started by AFS, June 06, 2009, 08:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: David McKeown on July 04, 2009, 11:57:10 PM
I thought that was absolutely shambolic today, Armagh as poor as I can ever remember but for me it can all be put down to one thing, poor management.  The team that started the game was far too negative I felt and PMcD was far too slow to make the tactical changes.  Midfield in the second half was killing us yet every kick went there and went there poorly, making Toner sprint a long distance before even trying to compete for the ball.

The worst thing about it all for me though is we have the making of a very good team which is 2-3 years from its peak, we now need a manager who can bring them on.

Ref was brutal today for both sides.  The worst incident was when vernon went down after a fair hit but was unable to move.  3 Monaghan players immediately called for the doctor because it looked so serious, the ref on the other hand waited 5 seconds then blew him for over carry as he lay motionless on the ground.  TBH the ref was lucky there Charlie wasnt more seriously hurt.

Armagh don't have the makings of a good side in my view. Toothless up front. And none of the replacements are within an asses roar of SMCD in his pomp. No midfield either. Good defence- no argument there. But thats it for me. Tactics were poor but don't kid yourself thinking Mc Geeney could ressurrect the remants of that.

balladmaker

It was the worst Armagh performance I can remember for a long, long time.  Is up there with the showing against Derry in the Athletic Grounds in the 90's.  Being beaten is one thing, but a team not showing any hunger in championship football is a shame.  Yes, Armagh were never going to win an All Ireland this year, but they could have at least looked motivated in Clones this evening.

Congrats to Monaghan, you're in the bowl tomorrow night and that's all that matters. 

JMohan

Quote from: INDIANA on July 05, 2009, 12:17:27 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on July 04, 2009, 11:57:10 PM
I thought that was absolutely shambolic today, Armagh as poor as I can ever remember but for me it can all be put down to one thing, poor management.  The team that started the game was far too negative I felt and PMcD was far too slow to make the tactical changes.  Midfield in the second half was killing us yet every kick went there and went there poorly, making Toner sprint a long distance before even trying to compete for the ball.

The worst thing about it all for me though is we have the making of a very good team which is 2-3 years from its peak, we now need a manager who can bring them on.

Ref was brutal today for both sides.  The worst incident was when vernon went down after a fair hit but was unable to move.  3 Monaghan players immediately called for the doctor because it looked so serious, the ref on the other hand waited 5 seconds then blew him for over carry as he lay motionless on the ground.  TBH the ref was lucky there Charlie wasnt more seriously hurt.

Armagh don't have the makings of a good side in my view. Toothless up front. And none of the replacements are within an asses roar of SMCD in his pomp. No midfield either. Good defence- no argument there. But thats it for me. Tactics were poor but don't kid yourself thinking Mc Geeney could ressurrect the remants of that.
Agree and disagree ...
Well I thought Monaghan were in big trouble in the first half at midfield - weren't they? Then they took Lavery off.

But yes - apart from Clarke they were dead - the movement was excellent though - the running was outstanding.

McGeeney would do ok .... I think there is more potential there than in Monaghan - the Armagh kick passing was superb, their strength on the ball was good. But they had no game plan and no tactics worth a damn - that's where they lost it.

I counted 4 or 5 kicked wides from play in the 2nd half of extra time ... no excuse for that.

OverThePostsAWide

The standard of tackling and shooting in the game was simply dreadful. And it can't be blamed on the intensity or speed of the game. Armagh were over reliant on the handpass even when it was not the best option. It was like they were playing one of those "keep possession" training games at times? And what was up with Stevie? He seemed to be uncharacteristically throwing his weight about from early on - the cameras caught him "meddling" a couple of times when he didn't need to - I expect it from the likes of Woods but not from him. Surely he has had to deal with "close attention" all of his county career? Did frustration just get the better of him? Reminded me of Zidane in the world cup... Armagh have gone backwards.  :(

Monaghan were cynical (what was with all the face holding? - nothing "manly" about that Banty!) but not as physical or dirty today I thought. Just poor and and very limited without Freeman. They are like Fermanagh's older brother... slower and less skillful but if you mess with him he will drag you down and beat you with his brutal strength and street experience.

I hope they draw Derry next ;)

StGallsGAA

While Armagh fans are the bigges louts, Monaghan fans are the most ignorant bunch I have met.

I thought yiz got on pretty well.  Both fine sets of supporters.

corn02

Quote from: StGallsGAA on July 05, 2009, 12:41:34 AM
While Armagh fans are the bigges louts, Monaghan fans are the most ignorant bunch I have met.

I thought yiz got on pretty well.  Both fine sets of supporters.

Not round me. The most biased fans I have ever encountered.

And the ywere at the British shoit in the hill too, I'd near take our louts over them.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: fitzroyalty on July 05, 2009, 12:00:34 AM
Without dwelling on it too much ref had a huge bearing on the result. Atrocious is not the word, picky c*nt, blind, how he failed to punish Monaghan for their dirty tactics I'll never know.

Armagh looked lost at times, they did well in the first half and thought we could win it having come back from 4-1 down but the second half was disastrous.

Midfield we got cleaned out, ball going into the forwards was slow and was constantly played out to the wings, this style of football needs knocked on the head, not only sh*te to watch but its not even effective anymore. Need to be more attacking minded, simple as that.

Best for Armagh for me was either Andy Mallon or Brendy Donaghy

Funny I thought Andy Mallon had a good game myself, apart from a couple of needless frees whereas I was up at the club there tonight and the few people I was talked to rubished my suggestion that he'd had a good game. They did the same for Brian Mallon who I thought was involved in everything goood we did in the first half. Though I see someone on this thread thought he was the worst player on the pitch! Amazing how differently people can analyse the same match.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maguire01

Quote from: Zulu on July 04, 2009, 10:20:10 PM
QuoteThis was a typical first round qualifier, I didn't expect anything more. There is always the remote control if the standard on offer is beneath you.

Typical head in the sand response from some Ulster posters, we all deserve better than what was served up today.

"We deserve better"
:D
Monaghan and Armagh went out to win, not to entertain the neutrals.

corn02

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 05, 2009, 12:47:47 AM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on July 05, 2009, 12:00:34 AM
Without dwelling on it too much ref had a huge bearing on the result. Atrocious is not the word, picky c*nt, blind, how he failed to punish Monaghan for their dirty tactics I'll never know.

Armagh looked lost at times, they did well in the first half and thought we could win it having come back from 4-1 down but the second half was disastrous.

Midfield we got cleaned out, ball going into the forwards was slow and was constantly played out to the wings, this style of football needs knocked on the head, not only sh*te to watch but its not even effective anymore. Need to be more attacking minded, simple as that.

Best for Armagh for me was either Andy Mallon or Brendy Donaghy

Funny I thought Andy Mallon had a good game myself, apart from a couple of needless frees whereas I was up at the club there tonight and the few people I was talked to rubished my suggestion that he'd had a good game. They did the same for Brian Mallon who I thought was involved in everything goood we did in the first half. Though I see someone on this thread thought he was the worst player on the pitch! Amazing how differently people can analyse the same match.

Exactly.

I thought Brian had one of his better games of recent years and Andy was second only behind that fabulosu performance from Donaghy.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 12:48:48 AM
QuoteThis was a typical first round qualifier, I didn't expect anything more. There is always the remote control if the standard on offer is beneath you.

Typical head in the sand response from some Ulster posters, we all deserve better than what was served up today.

"We deserve better"
Zulu, all due respect saan but if we didn't have that free state tube refereeing maybe the game would have flowed a bit better!! ;) Watched the first ten mins of game there, he was handing out yellow cards like sweets ffs!

Donaghy was actually outstanding today, my MOTM

Maguire01

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 04, 2009, 11:25:48 PM
Dessie Mone would be a half decent half back - he's poor at corner back and his behaviour is a disgrace.

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 04, 2009, 11:45:23 PM
Schitke Mone is not a great corner back.

McDonnell set up scores and won every ball of him. He's lost a yard of pace and appeared afraid to shoot tonight for some reason. Against Derry Paddy Bradley did likewise and scored two from play. The only reason he only scored two was because every time be beat Mone he'd about two or three others to beat. Not Mone's play I would have said, more that he has people to cover him.

Quote from: JMohan on July 04, 2009, 11:50:55 PM
Moen is a t***p though - you have to admit it, and when he comes out with the ball he's the least comfortable of the players on the ball. All Star my eye.

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 04, 2009, 08:28:08 PM
They're a blight. Dessie Mone goes out from start to finish of a game to get his man sent off. He never won one ball all day and got McDonnell wound up enough to get him sent off. Job done.

Quote from: INDIANA on July 04, 2009, 10:00:29 PM
Think Mc Enaeney has brought football to a new low. I know that offends Monaghan people. But the likes of dessie mone do nothing else but try to get heir man sent off. Sad way to play football.

Looks like Dick gets a week off - Dessie is this week's villain!
A different take on Dessie's game here though:
QuoteDessie Mone was awesome at the back for Monaghan, who were also well served by Paul Finlay and Conor McManus, who between them kicked the two clinching points in the second period of added time.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=114249

Maguire01

Quote from: ONeill on July 04, 2009, 08:34:38 PM
They should just throw both sides out. Two shocking sides.

Quote from: Rossfan on July 04, 2009, 10:09:13 PM
If only Central Council could throw both of them out of the Championship for 2 years till they cop on.

Quote from: Rossfan on July 04, 2009, 10:25:31 PM
Maybe a charge to both Counties of bringing the game into disrepute and ban them for 2010 from Senior competitions.

What a load of crap!

corn02

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 01:00:56 AM
Dessie Mone would be a half decent half back - he's poor at corner back and his behaviour is a disgrace.

McDonnell set up scores and won every ball of him. He's lost a yard of pace and appeared afraid to shoot tonight for some reason. Against Derry Paddy Bradley did likewise and scored two from play. The only reason he only scored two was because every time be beat Mone he'd about two or three others to beat. Not Mone's play I would have said, more that he has people to cover him.

Moen is a t***p though - you have to admit it, and when he comes out with the ball he's the least comfortable of the players on the ball. All Star my eye.

They're a blight. Dessie Mone goes out from start to finish of a game to get his man sent off. He never won one ball all day and got McDonnell wound up enough to get him sent off. Job done.

Think Mc Enaeney has brought football to a new low. I know that offends Monaghan people. But the likes of dessie mone do nothing else but try to get heir man sent off. Sad way to play football.

QuoteDessie Mone was awesome at the back for Monaghan, who were also well served by Paul Finlay and Conor McManus, who between them kicked the two clinching points in the second period of added time.

Hoganstand also called it a thriller.

corn02

Quote from: fitzroyalty on July 05, 2009, 12:59:12 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 12:48:48 AM

"We deserve better"
Zulu, all due respect saan but if we didn't have that free state tube refereeing maybe the game would have flowed a bit better!! ;) Watched the first ten mins of game there, he was handing out yellow cards like sweets ffs!

Donaghy was actually outstanding today, my MOTM

Donaghy was MOTM by quite some distance. The best player on the park by miles. An excellent player.

Maguire01

Quote from: corn02 on July 05, 2009, 01:03:17 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 01:00:56 AM

Hoganstand also called it a thriller.
Some of the standard may have been poor, but it was an exciting enough game to be at, as a fan of one of the teams playing. Calling it a thriller might be pushing it a bit though.

Was there a MOTM award?