The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Just looking at some of the PP schools results from last week and Mountrath CS were beaten by 13 points by Naas CBS in B quarter final. Hurling in Naas is powering on.
Heywood unlucky to be beaten by a point after extra time by Castlecomer CS.

Offaly schools hurling in the A quarter final.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laois man

Offaly team is made up of 95%of last year's minor team that were beating in the All Ireland. Plus its a combination team with 3 or 4 schools involved.

clonadmad

Quote from: redsetanta on January 23, 2023, 03:02:49 PM
Just looking at some of the PP schools results from last week and Mountrath CS were beaten by 13 points by Naas CBS in B quarter final. Hurling in Naas is powering on.

Nothing to stop a Laois schools team from playing in the A either

While individual schools could play in the B and C etc

If the will or interest was there

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on January 23, 2023, 10:37:59 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on January 23, 2023, 03:02:49 PM

Nothing to stop a Laois schools team from playing in the A either

While individual schools could play in the B and C etc

If the will or interest was there

Did we not have combined schools teams in A before? Why were they stopped?

mcwregor

Games Development

As previously stated the role of the coaching and games dept in Laois GAA doesnt appear to be doing a whole pile. You just have to look at Offaly and work going on there is huge in comparison to us. The have an agenda and they are going after that agenda with an ambitious plan to achieve as much as they can in terms of developing their games in order to put them in a position to win hurling and football titles in years to come. It will take time but they certainly are working hard especially since Michael Duignan took the reins there. He got good motivated like minded people around him and started driving all aspects of Offaly GAA forward.

I think there probably is some good work going on in Laois but we dont actually see it. The main reason being we currently dont have a County PRO. We have been lacking in that dept also for the past few years. We actually know very little of whats going on in Laois GAA circles and only for Laois today we wouldnt know anything. There wasnt one update from the walsh cup game on Sunday last on any Laois GAA social media outlets. We know every ball thats struck in Offaly, every initiative thats going on. Fair play to them they have their house in order.

Our games development manager and games promotion officers?

I dont like being too critical but I am quite involved in my own club and i dont see them. I have no idea what any of them actually do. Maybe they are flat out busy and doing great work but i dont see it and dont know where its happening. Leinster GAA have rolled out full time GPOs for clubs to bring on. This is a very positive step and i have no doubt their work will pay off in time to come. But this was brought about by Leinster GAA not Laois GAA, it fell on our lap.

The county development squads and setanta programme

The setanta programme is hugely important. This again is not coming from the county board or games development office as such. It was brought back in by Brendan Phelan (a club member) and Mattie Collier (Hurling board). To be fair i think it went fairly well last year for u10 kids. There was great buy in from kids and parents with over 120 completing the programme last summer. Again it shows the interest and desire for hurling in the county is there but we need leadership from the county board and an ambitious plan to drive things on. The setanta now needs to be upped for all age groups from u10 to u13. I believe that the setanta can be developed into something very special for kids if its supported and properly structured.

The development squads are now being supported by Laois Gaels. Again Laois Gaels are not directly working under the county board and were brought about by another club member Bryan Breen (and others). Fair play to Laois Gaels and hopefully they can be a long term success. After last years minor team success its imperative that a few competitive teams are brought along behind them. The development squads are hugely important. Last year some of the squads were a shambles which has been highlighted here before. Who is responsible for that? I know Niall Handy has a cut at ppl for not getting involved. I think ppl in Laois just think theres no point and that we will never get anywhere. If ppl had an impressive set up to come into I do believe that the will in Laois is there, the interest in hurling in Laois is there, the desire to achieve is there. People want to see a plan, they want to see a future, they want to see something worth working for and then they will come on board and row in.

Minors 2023

After a great year in 2022, what can we expect in 2023? The guts of 18,000 ppl in portlaoise for a Leinster final again highlights the appetite. The whole minor set up for the past couple of years was very impressive. Having someone like Derek McGrath there was invaluable to the players. This team and management was supported by an external source outside of county board. Would that external figure along with a few more external people with a love for laois hurling be brought together to try and help bring success to the county in future years? I hope the minors do well again this year but there seems to be a considerable drop off in terms of management personnel from last year to this year. Regardless I wish the team and management all the best, it will obviously be a hard act to follow.

Portlaoise

There should be two strong hurling clubs in Portlaoise. Currently there isnt one strong hurling club. Was it not part of a plan to create a new club in Portlaoise, what ever happened to that? They have a GPO in there now and while it will take time i think they can turn it around. Again the county board need to have a look at whats going on there, whether its creating a new club or getting kids out to clonad and PRT. There needs to be a long term plan for GAA participation in Portlaoise town. The numbers are huge, One club is not enough.

Schools

Literally no hurling in secondary schools in Portlaoise. Our biggest town by far, a hurling area...how are we ever supposed to improve? Could a combined Portlaoise schools hurling team be entered for starters and try to develop that. Maybe have an East and West Laois schools hurling team entered into the Leinster Schools B competition. The other option that we have tried before in a all of Laois combined schools team. I could be wrong but i think the combined Offaly schools team is only made up of 3 schools. I dont think Birr, Colaiste Cholim Tullamore or Kilcormac are part of that as they are involved in the Leinster Schools B which makes it even more impressive.

Maybe im wrong

Thoughts?

Laois man

Kilcormac have about 8 lads on the combined schools team birr are involved aswell Tullamore ain't. Also there mangerment team is the offaly U20 manager and selectors as all these lads will be offaly U20 players for there cship. Forward thinking by offaly.

clonadmad

Quote from: mcwregor on January 24, 2023, 10:07:18 PM
Games Development

As previously stated the role of the coaching and games dept in Laois GAA doesnt appear to be doing a whole pile. You just have to look at Offaly and work going on there is huge in comparison to us. The have an agenda and they are going after that agenda with an ambitious plan to achieve as much as they can in terms of developing their games in order to put them in a position to win hurling and football titles in years to come. It will take time but they certainly are working hard especially since Michael Duignan took the reins there. He got good motivated like minded people around him and started driving all aspects of Offaly GAA forward.

I think there probably is some good work going on in Laois but we dont actually see it. The main reason being we currently dont have a County PRO. We have been lacking in that dept also for the past few years. We actually know very little of whats going on in Laois GAA circles and only for Laois today we wouldnt know anything. There wasnt one update from the walsh cup game on Sunday last on any Laois GAA social media outlets. We know every ball thats struck in Offaly, every initiative thats going on. Fair play to them they have their house in order.

Our games development manager and games promotion officers?

I dont like being too critical but I am quite involved in my own club and i dont see them. I have no idea what any of them actually do. Maybe they are flat out busy and doing great work but i dont see it and dont know where its happening. Leinster GAA have rolled out full time GPOs for clubs to bring on. This is a very positive step and i have no doubt their work will pay off in time to come. But this was brought about by Leinster GAA not Laois GAA, it fell on our lap.

The county development squads and setanta programme

The setanta programme is hugely important. This again is not coming from the county board or games development office as such. It was brought back in by Brendan Phelan (a club member) and Mattie Collier (Hurling board). To be fair i think it went fairly well last year for u10 kids. There was great buy in from kids and parents with over 120 completing the programme last summer. Again it shows the interest and desire for hurling in the county is there but we need leadership from the county board and an ambitious plan to drive things on. The setanta now needs to be upped for all age groups from u10 to u13. I believe that the setanta can be developed into something very special for kids if its supported and properly structured.

The development squads are now being supported by Laois Gaels. Again Laois Gaels are not directly working under the county board and were brought about by another club member Bryan Breen (and others). Fair play to Laois Gaels and hopefully they can be a long term success. After last years minor team success its imperative that a few competitive teams are brought along behind them. The development squads are hugely important. Last year some of the squads were a shambles which has been highlighted here before. Who is responsible for that? I know Niall Handy has a cut at ppl for not getting involved. I think ppl in Laois just think theres no point and that we will never get anywhere. If ppl had an impressive set up to come into I do believe that the will in Laois is there, the interest in hurling in Laois is there, the desire to achieve is there. People want to see a plan, they want to see a future, they want to see something worth working for and then they will come on board and row in.

Minors 2023

After a great year in 2022, what can we expect in 2023? The guts of 18,000 ppl in portlaoise for a Leinster final again highlights the appetite. The whole minor set up for the past couple of years was very impressive. Having someone like Derek McGrath there was invaluable to the players. This team and management was supported by an external source outside of county board. Would that external figure along with a few more external people with a love for laois hurling be brought together to try and help bring success to the county in future years? I hope the minors do well again this year but there seems to be a considerable drop off in terms of management personnel from last year to this year. Regardless I wish the team and management all the best, it will obviously be a hard act to follow.

Portlaoise

There should be two strong hurling clubs in Portlaoise. Currently there isnt one strong hurling club. Was it not part of a plan to create a new club in Portlaoise, what ever happened to that? They have a GPO in there now and while it will take time i think they can turn it around. Again the county board need to have a look at whats going on there, whether its creating a new club or getting kids out to clonad and PRT. There needs to be a long term plan for GAA participation in Portlaoise town. The numbers are huge, One club is not enough.

Schools

Literally no hurling in secondary schools in Portlaoise. Our biggest town by far, a hurling area...how are we ever supposed to improve? Could a combined Portlaoise schools hurling team be entered for starters and try to develop that. Maybe have an East and West Laois schools hurling team entered into the Leinster Schools B competition. The other option that we have tried before in a all of Laois combined schools team. I could be wrong but i think the combined Offaly schools team is only made up of 3 schools. I dont think Birr, Colaiste Cholim Tullamore or Kilcormac are part of that as they are involved in the Leinster Schools B which makes it even more impressive.

Maybe im wrong

Thoughts?

Excellent Post and nail on the head with everything you said

Kilcormac and Birr lads are hurling Leinster B with their schools and A on the combined Offaly schools,I don't think Colaiste Colm in Tullamore have their lads on the Offaly schools side

But imagine the amount of hurling those lads are getting

I spoke to one father recently who has a son in the cbs in portlaoise

They played 2 hurling games and had 2 hurling training sessions that academic year

Why even bother entering teams if that's the set up,so unfair on the young lads.

Agree with everything you said

It's the adults of Laois letting down the kids of Laois and in both codes

clonadmad

Quote from: Laois man on January 25, 2023, 12:02:43 AM
Kilcormac have about 8 lads on the combined schools team birr are involved aswell Tullamore ain't. Also there mangerment team is the offaly U20 manager and selectors as all these lads will be offaly U20 players for there cship. Forward thinking by offaly.

You see that in most county's,

Joined up thinking

Padraic Maher Thurles CBS coach,Thurles Sars manager,Tipperary Senior Selector

Laois man

clonadmad

No problem filling Leinster Council or Centra Council Positions

But the fact that We can't get anyone to fill arguably the most important position in the county board says it all

Laois GAA Coaching Officer remains vacant
Laois GAA continue to be on the lookout for a Coaching Officer to fill the vacancy following the end of Fergal Byron's five-year term.

The role is a key position on the Laois GAA executive, one that works closely alongside Laois GAA's full-time Games Manager Mike Henchy.

Barrowhouse's Alan Langton was the only nominee for last December's county convention but his withdrawal meant that the position wasn't filled and it carried over to the January county board meeting which had to assume the status of a special convention to fill that role as well as that of PRO.

Former Laois minor football manager, Donncha Phelan from Ballyfin, had been nominated but also withdrew ahead of the meeting last week.

"This is extremely disappointing to find that we have not the personnel interested in our county to promote and work for our county in one of the most important positions on the Laois GAA management team," wrote county board secretary Niall Handy in an email to the clubs this week.

"As a result our February County Committee meeting on Monday, February 27, will now assume the status of Special Convention ... in another effort to elect a Coaching Officer

Zooming around

People like Pat Critchley, Tadhg Doran, Enda Murphy, Elaine Mahony, Lorcan Mahoney, David O'Brien, Mark Peters, Patrick Mullaney, Gary Moore would all do this role well and that's just from the hurling side. I presume all these have been asked.......... at least I hope they have.

clonadmad

Quote from: Zooming around on January 25, 2023, 01:25:17 PM
People like Pat Critchley, Tadhg Doran, Enda Murphy, Elaine Mahony, Lorcan Mahoney, David O'Brien, Mark Peters, Patrick Mullaney, Gary Moore would all do this role well and that's just from the hurling side. I presume all these have been asked.......... at least I hope they have.

Excellent People every last one of them

Laois Rising

Perhaps establish a proper coaching committee or even better two coaching committees, one for hurling and one for football. Commit a serious portion of our surplus money from the last couple of years to these committees and with the right people there you will see results. People are more inclined to get involved when they know others-and especially good people- will be involved too. It is too much to ask one person to spearhead a role like this, especially with our county spread across hurling and football. I wouldn't blame anyone for passing over this position on the county board in its current guise. All you will get is grief, apathy and eventual disillusionment. Why would you put yourself through that.

Giovanni

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the role of the coaching officer?

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi