Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on March 04, 2018, 11:44:27 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2018, 11:40:46 AM

Having opinions and being human is all well and good, but dealing with him being bigot and not referring to others (like the prodestant clergy at Holy Cross) to look at as some sort of excuse would be better!

So much for the turning the other cheek and love thy neighbour!

I also respect David McKeown's view, but I will not cast Bishop McAreavy as a bigot until David's view has been triangulated. What I am saying is that they clearly must tend to their own flock.

I've no problem with tending to their own flock, but if as David has said is true, then he'd be a bigot and apologist for a rapist
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2018, 11:52:48 AM
Quote from: Orior on March 04, 2018, 11:44:27 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2018, 11:40:46 AM

Having opinions and being human is all well and good, but dealing with him being bigot and not referring to others (like the prodestant clergy at Holy Cross) to look at as some sort of excuse would be better!

So much for the turning the other cheek and love thy neighbour!

I also respect David McKeown's view, but I will not cast Bishop McAreavy as a bigot until David's view has been triangulated. What I am saying is that they clearly must tend to their own flock.

I've no problem with tending to their own flock, but if as David has said is true, then he'd be a bigot and apologist for a rapist

If.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

David McKeown

Absolutely if is the key word. Really only people who were there and heard the comments know the truth provided they remember. I was there and know what was said. I remember the blazing row I had with the bishop over it on the last occasion and I remember my mothers involvement in the aftermath. I though am an almost anonymous name on a message board (yes I do use my real name to ensure there's never a temptation to say something I wouldn't say in real life) and therefore wouldn't expect anyone to believe what I say. For me though I believe what I say because I was there, I lost what was left of my faith and respect for the Catholic Church after my last meeting with the Bishop and I doubt I will ever change my mind about him.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Orior

dec

Quote from: Orior on March 04, 2018, 11:25:32 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 03, 2018, 07:27:17 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 03, 2018, 06:54:56 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 03, 2018, 02:30:49 PM
I don't know the full background of the abuse and Bishop McAreavey's role but on a personal level I am glad the bishop has now resigned. My personal experience with the man is that he was a sectarian bigot who should not have had the role he had. Now I haven't spoken to him in 15 years and things may have changed in the interim but I don't think he even deserved the time of the day.

That is untypical and very strong input from you David and given that it is from you it carries considerable weight and casts another light on the bishop.

As I say it's from personal experience of a number of meetings with the man in the early noughties and a number of references he made about it being us against them which when I questioned him he confirmed meant Catholics against protestants. He made plenty of other comments in a similar vein. I had/have very little time for the man.

That is interesting. We always hear about clergy working together but of course they are humans like ourselves and can have opinions. For example, I thought the protestant clergy could have done a lot more during the Holy Cross trouble. But then, perhaps clergy have to look after their own flock first.

Glad to hear that Fr Stevenston has been asked to step in.

That would be the same Father Stevenson that was a teacher at St Colman's for almost all the time the Finnegan was there.

Orior

Quote from: dec on March 04, 2018, 01:39:51 PM
I don't know the full background of the abuse and Bishop McAreavey's role but on a personal level I am glad the bishop has now resigned. My personal experience with the man is that he was a sectarian bigot who should not have had the role he had. Now I haven't spoken to him in 15 years and things may have changed in the interim but I don't think he even deserved the time of the day.

That is untypical and very strong input from you David and given that it is from you it carries considerable weight and casts another light on the bishop.

As I say it's from personal experience of a number of meetings with the man in the early noughties and a number of references he made about it being us against them which when I questioned him he confirmed meant Catholics against protestants. He made plenty of other comments in a similar vein. I had/have very little time for the man.

That is interesting. We always hear about clergy working together but of course they are humans like ourselves and can have opinions. For example, I thought the protestant clergy could have done a lot more during the Holy Cross trouble. But then, perhaps clergy have to look after their own flock first.

That would be the same Father Stevenson that was a teacher at St Colman's for almost all the time the Finnegan was there.

Yes, "Stiffy", and his brother played corner back for Armagh. In my day there was:

Fr Cushnahen - "the wee cush" - big on discipline, loved the cane and had a reputation for beating the hell out of borders
Fr Stevenson - "Stiffy"
Fr Boyle - "wee boyle"
Fr Cunningham - "cuddly bum"

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Orior on March 04, 2018, 02:07:17 PM

Yes, "Stiffy", and his brother played corner back for Armagh. In my day there was:

Fr Cushnahen - "the wee cush" - big on discipline, loved the cane and had a reputation for beating the hell out of borders
Fr Stevenson - "Stiffy"
Fr Boyle - "wee boyle"

Holy sweet f**k... I'd say there's more to come out of this yet just in these nicknames!!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 04, 2018, 02:26:19 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 04, 2018, 02:07:17 PM

Fr Stevenson - "Stiffy"
Fr Boyle - "wee boyle"

Holy sweet f**k... I'd say there's more to come out of this yet just in these nicknames!!!
LOL yes Stiffy and Cuddly Bum aren't helpful nicknames for priests.

Targetman

Wait till Nolan hears this!!

quit yo jibbajabba

"And their nicknames were.......... cuddly bum..... aaaaaand............ 10minute pause.......STIFFY!!!!

Targetman

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 04, 2018, 04:13:55 PM
"And their nicknames were.......... cuddly bum..... aaaaaand............ 10minute pause.......STIFFY!!!!
Shouldn't laugh but ffs can't do anything else, over to you Mandy Mc Auley!

Dougal Maguire

Fr Boyle was 'The wee Billy' Fr Cushnehan was 'The wee skut'. Cunningham was just a complete sadistic cnut
Careful now

Owen Brannigan

From John McAreavey on Twitter:

longballin

John would have been better to say nothing. He got torn apart on Twitter.

seafoid

Quote from: longballin on March 04, 2018, 09:15:26 PM
John would have been better to say nothing. He got torn apart on Twitter.
I don't think he understood how visceral the feeling about the church and child rape is.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU