The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: gallsman on March 22, 2023, 11:13:19 AM
Find that ruling infuriating tbh. Rugby player picks up rugby ball is not something players can't anticipate, so completely disagree that Keenan's action mitigates things.

The cries from the English have been about how he was trying to get out of the tackle and out of Keenan's way. He turned his shoulder and jumped into him, hitting him square in the head with his elbow. How is there any evidence he was trying to get out of his way?!
Nail on the head, no pun intended! Keen failed his HIA, players need protected.

Tony Baloney

trileacman

Quote from: gallsman on March 22, 2023, 11:13:19 AM
Find that ruling infuriating tbh. Rugby player picks up rugby ball is not something players can't anticipate, so completely disagree that Keenan's action mitigates things.

The cries from the English have been about how he was trying to get out of the tackle and out of Keenan's way. He turned his shoulder and jumped into him, hitting him square in the head with his elbow. How is there any evidence he was trying to get out of his way?!

Completely wrong reading of it. If the oval ball had bounced away from Keenan and to steward then Keenan would have been red carded. The bounce of the ball literally decided which of them was going to have a head collision.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

Bad weekend for Ulster and Munster who are way behind Leinster. Is this what the IRFU want?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Scarlet

I'd ask what do the IRFU overall...

This is something from the Abglo Celt in Cavan. It's a response to an otginal artcile that was slated by #TeamOfUs bandwagon heads.

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2023/03/30/emerging-from-the-scrum-battered-but-not-broken/?fbclid=IwAR10MU0wYW3nOcrd1YS16bBO5c5-ilwjcdptx02JFrFcAWGf_czoW3m--OM

Lads at local club level will be honest and say it's not in good shape as the Mens National Team is the focus. Look at the state of the Women's Team now too.

Once the sess heads are filling the stands all is well...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

GRMA . Re the women the IRFU were the last union to get organised.
Leinster's dominance is not good. Especially if they lose another final.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Apart from Leinster, Irish rugby, club wise, is poor at the minute.

Munster  haven't won a cup in a long time, Ulster the same.  Connacht are punching above their weight and won the league a few ago under Lam, iirc, which was some achievement.  A while back Bundee Aki couldn't make the Connacht team but was on the Irish panel.

National team papeeing over the cracks.

thewobbler

Quote from: marty34 on April 03, 2023, 10:18:00 PM

Munster  haven't won a cup in a long time, Ulster the same.  Connacht are punching above their weight and won the league a few ago under Lam, iirc, which was some achievement.  A while back Bundee Aki couldn't make the Connacht team but was on the Irish panel.

Would it perhaps be a little overexpectant to think Ireland should be doing better than this at club level?

marty34

Quote from: thewobbler on April 03, 2023, 10:20:30 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 03, 2023, 10:18:00 PM

Would it perhaps be a little overexpectant to think Ireland should be doing better than this at club level?

I'd like to think so, especially Munster.

They should be at the top table, reaching semi-finals on a regular basi I'd have thought.

In saying that, some of the top French teams, traditionally, are now in the Challenge Cup with the likes of Connacht. Some big hitters, who are normally in the top competition, have dropped off.

Maybe that's a changing of the guard?

Walter Cronc

Munster simply took their eye off the ball at underage and weren't getting the players through. This is evident from their low numbers in Irish underage teams. In fairness there does appear to be an upturn this past few years which hopefully bodes well for both club and country.

We've won back to back grand slams at u20 and 3 in the last 4 years which is superb. For me the likes of Murray, O'Mahony etc should be let go post RWC and those younger players fast tracked. The French do it. Why can't we.

Sam Prendergast looks the most natural 10 I've seen in a long time
Uncanny resemblance to Sexton. However he'll have to join the queue at Leinster. Personally I'd like that bluffer Billy Burns sent back to England and Ulster to sign Prendergast!

marty34

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 03, 2023, 10:35:53 PM
Munster simply took their eye off the ball at underage and weren't getting the players through. This is evident from their low numbers in Irish underage teams. In fairness there does appear to be an upturn this past few years which hopefully bodes well for both club and country.

We've won back to back grand slams at u20 and 3 in the last 4 years which is superb. For me the likes of Murray, O'Mahony etc should be let go post RWC and those younger players fast tracked. The French do it. Why can't we.

Sam Prendergast looks the most natural 10 I've seen in a long time
Uncanny resemblance to Sexton. However he'll have to join the queue at Leinster. Personally I'd like that bluffer Billy Burns sent back to England and Ulster to sign Prendergast!

I wonder would Limerick hurling have taken the gloss off Munster this past 5 or 6 years?

Would more young lads be inclined to play hurling now, instead of the ruggers in Limerick?

Walter Cronc

Aw I don't think so. Think McManus pumped serious money into underage structures within Limerick and a freak crop of players came along - bit like Dublin under Gavin.