Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunsilly King

I have watched the three Antrim games. All v important wins. And agree with all to see us having the ability to win tight games is a brilliant quality to be developing. Two things that sit out for me. We still have a few players who are not good enough, repeated errors and not good enough footballers. I know there a few players not 100% ready yet and that will improve that issue hopefully. The second and its massive for me. Our kickout strategy is not good enough yet. Niall Mc Keever has won some ball on kickouts, last Sunday and against Sligo.  When he went off on Sunday were were really struggling for possession. Sorry for saying this but our management almost blew that result on Sunday. Put on too many players and an number let themselves down. However is saying all of that its a very welcome change from the past few seasons of drivel.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunsilly King on June 03, 2021, 01:10:57 PM
I have watched the three Antrim games. All v important wins. And agree with all to see us having the ability to win tight games is a brilliant quality to be developing. Two things that sit out for me. We still have a few players who are not good enough, repeated errors and not good enough footballers. I know there a few players not 100% ready yet and that will improve that issue hopefully. The second and its massive for me. Our kickout strategy is not good enough yet. Niall Mc Keever has won some ball on kickouts, last Sunday and against Sligo.  When he went off on Sunday were were really struggling for possession. Sorry for saying this but our management almost blew that result on Sunday. Put on too many players and an number let themselves down. However is saying all of that its a very welcome change from the past few seasons of drivel.

Going forward that will be a lesson for management that the game is not won until the final whistle! I'm sure with the panel we have its about seeing who's playing well but for Antrim, but every game we play in Div4 is like championship, we need to go in with that attitude and win the game first before giving game time to players.

We are judged on results not letting wee johnny on for a run out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

We will be judged on getting out of division 4. Must win game... Anything that happens in the Armagh game is a bonus as it's division 4 against division 1 so is a big ask. (Though I think it is a decent enough draw for us)

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: groundlie on June 03, 2021, 11:14:32 AM
They lost the director of the project and two development officers. All in a number of months. I've heard the Co ordinator is gone too. Something not sounding quite right for what was to be our great white hope.
I been criticised before for having a go at Gaelfast but surley even the yes men in this board must be wondering wha the hell is going on?
Chief goes / Indians going / No plan / No leadership from COunty board AAAgh
Our big chance wasted >:(

NAG1

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on June 03, 2021, 02:50:07 PM
Quote from: groundlie on June 03, 2021, 11:14:32 AM
They lost the director of the project and two development officers. All in a number of months. I've heard the Co ordinator is gone too. Something not sounding quite right for what was to be our great white hope.
I been criticised before for having a go at Gaelfast but surley even the yes men in this board must be wondering wha the hell is going on?
Chief goes / Indians going / No plan / No leadership from COunty board AAAgh
Our big chance wasted >:(

This was the issue you were having a go.

I think the question now needs to be asked, why the person head hunted for the post left to begin with?

I don't there is too much explanation needed for that one when you sit back a take a look at it.

JimStynes

Quote from: groundlie on June 03, 2021, 04:18:39 PM
Director Donnelly leaves then  a development officer leaves shortly after now a long term staff member who is a development officer has left. I've also heard the project manager is refusing to return. Big chance missed. Same old Antrim.

Maybe this is the time for Croke Park to step in and go outside the county for this.

groundlie

It's a sorry state of affairs. Shocking that our leadership in the county just let another project by the wayside again, losing great people. Its all well and good having big outside names taking our senior squads but losing our grassroots people is very disappointing. Who came first in Dublin? Jim Gavin and all Irelands or the coaching and development at grassroots? Chicken before the egg in antrim yet again.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: groundlie on June 03, 2021, 05:28:33 PM
It's a sorry state of affairs. Shocking that our leadership in the county just let another project by the wayside again, losing great people. Its all well and good having big outside names taking our senior squads but losing our grassroots people is very disappointing. Who came first in Dublin? Jim Gavin and all Irelands or the coaching and development at grassroots? Chicken before the egg in antrim yet again.
Groundie you are not allowed to have a go a gaelfast on this board - do you not know the rules? MR2 or ironside will say you are negative and theu are doing their best in difficult times bla bla bla

bannside

Ironside lol. I don't have an inside track on Gaelfast at all, you probably know more than me. The last time I got involved in this was just to say it's hardly a good thing for the county to have all our problems hashed out here in full view of the country. Apart from that I agree totally that the county board have a responsibility to (a) inform club delegates of all relevant matters in this regard, and (b) be proactive about getting the programme back on track.

Gaelfast is one of the most important initiatives we have ever had, and it's a priority to do whatever is necessary to redress the problems internally without delay.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on June 03, 2021, 10:49:12 PM
Quote from: groundlie on June 03, 2021, 05:28:33 PM
Groundie you are not allowed to have a go a gaelfast on this board - do you not know the rules? MR2 or ironside will say you are negative and theu are doing their best in difficult times bla bla bla

So tell me what happened? I'm out of the loop, an initiative ran by Croke park, organised and managed by Croke!

Did people leave because they were offered better jobs?

Not knowing anything about this I firmly believe if the those who were entrusted with carrying out their duties and without the problems of lockdown we'd have had a brilliant boost to the inner city Gaels.

Hopefully this gets a kick start all over again
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whatwillbwillb

Political Involvement within the Trojan Horse of the "Cultural Revolution" vote once and vote often!!!!!!!! Who's gonna grasp that nettle!!! Same old mantra, create chaos then step in and take control.

johnnycool

I remember listening to Sambo McNaughton talking on RTE radio about the woes of Antrim and Ulster hurling and his most telling and accurate statement was; "we don't need a Brian Cody, we need a Ned Quinn".

Ned Quinn look up the role of Vice Chair in Kilkenny in 1994, the year after Down had beaten Kilkenny in Nowlan Park to relegate them to Div2 and that was when there were two 6 team divisions in Div1, so they were ranked 13th at best in the hurling world, an all time low.

Before the days of GDO's and the likes he went to the doors of dozens of ex intercounty hurlers and asked them to give a few hours a week to coach in clubs, schools and county teams and they built from there to go on and dominate hurling for most of the 00's and beyond. He became chairman of Kilkenny and was in that role up until 2017 and not doubt he rubbed some people and clubs up the wrong way in the process.

Get your Ned Quinn and stick with him or her.. You might not agree with everything they set out to do but chopping and changing and infighting and undermining the process is only going to lead to one outcome and that's the funding being pulled.

johnnycool

https://ulster.gaa.ie/council/jobs/

Get the CV's brushed up there lads and lassies.

Belfast GAA man

and Back to the start we go!! Gaelfast = casement = craggy island
well done to the hurlers today great game

asaffgael

Both a disgrace and embarrassment, nothing else can be said. Could still be playing on Casement to this day!