Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: illdecide on November 10, 2019, 03:39:55 PM
Well like i said yesterday, I know nothing about politics only that the DUP are bigoted and corrupt as they come, I always used to vote SF but haven't voted the last few elections but this one def is as important as they'll ever be. I know it's my decision who i vote for but it just seems like i'm voting just for the sake of it and that no party deserves it, just cycling home this morning and seen election posters up around Craigavon from Alliance and i swear some young fella's face is on the poster and he looks about 17 ffs. Assuming he's older than that what the hell is that young fella going to know about it... ::)

Vote for someone who you think will bring a positive change to NI politics or society. Voting for the Shinners because you don't like the DUP is like watching rugby for the sole reason being that you don't like soccer.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

imtommygunn

There are some people on here who seem to watch rugby because they don't like rugby ;D

Yes vote for who you think will benefit you and if you think none of them then vote for the least worst...

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: trileacman on November 10, 2019, 05:28:20 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 10, 2019, 04:07:05 PM
Well like i said yesterday, I know nothing about politics only that the DUP are bigoted and corrupt as they come, I always used to vote SF but haven't voted the last few elections but this one def is as important as they'll ever be. I know it's my decision who i vote for but it just seems like i'm voting just for the sake of it and that no party deserves it, just cycling home this morning and seen election posters up around Craigavon from Alliance and i swear some young fella's face is on the poster and he looks about 17 ffs. Assuming he's older than that what the hell is that young fella going to know about it... ::)

As long as he's inoffensive, that's fine. Good old Alliance....let's not upset anybody & we will take a hit for team NI, when our arses get too sore, from sitting on the fence. No pacts here!

Who you voting for? I assume it's not SF given their long history of arse sitting on the fence whilst important decisions are taken at Westminster without them.

I haven't voted since the referendum on the GFA, because of the woeful state of politics here - believe me, I see them all in action close up every day & it's, shall we say, pretty unedifying. However, since I have given off so much about the antics of the gun runner's daughter, I will be voting Claire Hanna on 12 December. Hopefully that's your question answered.

Rossfan

As it's an undemocratic 1st past the post election -  in Nationalist majority constituencies vote for the Nationalist candidate with the best chance of taking the seat.
In others vote for whoever has a chance of unseating the DUPUDA candidate.
Depressing maybe but in the circumstances what else can ye do?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

6th sam

Quote from: trileacman on November 10, 2019, 05:33:05 PM

Vote for someone who you think will bring a positive change to NI politics or society. Voting for the Shinners because you don't like the DUP is like watching rugby for the sole reason being that you don't like soccer.

In the opinion of Colum Eastwood, no
Less- Voting for someone because you don't  like the DUP, is a perfectly reasonable position to take. I think a lot of "moderate" unionists and nationalists need to take a long look at themselves. The DUP have a 50 year unrepentant history ( in positions of power and influence) of lining their pockets, shafting others, discrimination, links with paramilitarism . There's now an opportunity to stand up to them and knock them off some of their positions of influence . Only ~20% of the population vote for them but that's enough to put them in positions of power to perpetuate  their dinosaur stance. Of that 20% , several softer unionists vote for them simply because they are the largest unionist party and are viewed as the best way of maintaining the union( understandable but over simplistic analysis). The reality is that probably <10% of the population here hold staunch DUP Views but we continue to allow them the upper hand. What really annoys me is the insulting analysis that being anti-DUP is being sectarian when in actual fact it is  the exact opposite

6th sam

Quote from: Rossfan on November 10, 2019, 06:00:32 PM
As it's an undemocratic 1st past the post election -  in Nationalist majority constituencies vote for the Nationalist candidate with the best chance of taking the seat.
In others vote for whoever has a chance of unseating the DUPUDA candidate.
Depressing maybe but in the circumstances what else can ye do?

In a nutshell , if you're a genuine "nationalist" that's the only position that makes sense . However many are "Nationalist" in name only and instead will stick to their historic party political loyalties.
The Alliance stance in this election has disappointed me, I can accept the rationale behind standing in all constituencies but whereas before the campaign they were clearly positively engaging with anti brexit parties , now they are putting party political gain before brexit and getting the boot into the SDLP rather than the DUP.

I fear this may be an election or two too early to completely crush the DUP, but we certainly have an opportunity to strike a significant blow on them. I hope the electorate are intelligent and motivated enough to take this opportunity .

smelmoth

On the DUP they are the incumbent in 10 seats. The chances of them losing any of East Derry, North Antrim, East Antrim, Lagan Valley, Upper Bann or Strangford is Zero. So for a start they are not going to get chinned in this election. Talk of this being 1 election too early doesn't address the fact that these seats are not under threat in the foreseeable. Disheartening though that is. For DUP to be under challenge in these constituencies you need at least 1 of the following to happen:
1. Political unionism to get its shit together and provide an alternative. Does anybody see any signs of this?
2. The sensible unionists move to Alliance in sufficient numbers. Possible.
3. A significant number of unionists move beyond constitutional based voting in a way that a majority of nationalists on this site say that they are not prepared to do. Anybody expecting this to happen?

In South Antrim and East Belfast a lot has to go right for DUP to be ousted. North and South Belfast are on a knife edge and North Down is a potential gain for DUP and their preferred candidate could well win FST. We get the politicians we deserve boys and girls.

smelmoth

In SinnFeins party political broadcast will they be setting out the achievements of Mickey Brady, Órfhlaith Begley (she is the MP for West Tyrone), Francine Molloy (also an MP apparently), Paul Maskey (you might know his brother Alex), Michelle Gildernew, Chris Hazzard or Elisha McCallion?

JPGJOHNNYG

South belfast isnt on a knife edge. Even without the UUP pengelly is toast. Upper bann could be in play for SF in a cycle or 2. In SA people should vote for Kinahan a liberal remainer. The talk of Alliance taking this seat from nowhere is horse shit

illdecide

Having posted here and starting to take an interest I had a conversation there in my sisters house and the census there was "you're wasting your time voting anyway as we don't matter a shite"(referring to the overall English vote etc). Maybe that's true to a point but the DUP done enough a few weeks ago to have a say on Boris...

On the issue of who i vote for...some of the comments/advice have made me more indecisive than ever. Of course i want the DUP out but as i see it it's like this...the people in this Country that come from the big massive housing estates that don't know any better and have probably never ventured far from their own doors will vote SF/DUP depending on the estate which leaves me with..."I really want to change this place but we're pissing into the wind"
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: illdecide on November 10, 2019, 07:56:01 PM
Having posted here and starting to take an interest I had a conversation there in my sisters house and the census there was "you're wasting your time voting anyway as we don't matter a shite"(referring to the overall English vote etc). Maybe that's true to a point but the DUP done enough a few weeks ago to have a say on Boris...

On the issue of who i vote for...some of the comments/advice have made me more indecisive than ever. Of course i want the DUP out but as i see it it's like this...the people in this Country that come from the big massive housing estates that don't know any better and have probably never ventured far from their own doors will vote SF/DUP depending on the estate which leaves me with..."I really want to change this place but we're pissing into the wind"

Which constituency are you in?

imtommygunn

Quote from: seafoid on November 10, 2019, 02:33:05 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 10, 2019, 12:42:35 PM
Sf I still don't think you understand the voting demographic in ni. In at least five or six constituencies the dup can do whatever they want. They can do anything. They aren't Sinn Fein. That is all it takes.

They will still do ok in certain areas but Brexit will hurt them. We just don't know yet.
Nigel Dodds was demonstrating against a Brexit deal that the DUP did so much to support. That shows the state they are in.

It's irrelevant. They can do whatever they want and will win at least 6 seats at a canter. Look at the odds.

illdecide

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 10, 2019, 09:30:21 PM

Upper Bann
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: illdecide on November 10, 2019, 09:40:32 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 10, 2019, 09:30:21 PM

Upper Bann

Well it should be a safe DUP seat. You never know though if Beatie can get some votes back or if there is a differential turnout then ODowd may have a chance but as I said earlier it's a long shot

Ed Ricketts

It's important to vote, even if you know your candidate has little chance of success. Voting isn't always about instant gratification - it can take two, three, four attempts before your man or women gets over the line. Very often when a constituency flips you can track the momentum of new representative through several earlier elections - but that momentum needs people to get out and vote.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.