Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on June 01, 2022, 08:51:54 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 01, 2022, 08:16:07 AM
The two provincial finals and the McDonagh Cup up for grabs this weekend.

Whilst I think Galway are the better team only a fool would write Kilkenny off in a Leinster final and with a semi-final berth at stake I'm divided on this one....

Kilkenny by an Eoin Cody goal.

Limerick and the wee neighbours Clare go at it again on Sunday, Limerick will believe that with a fuller deck of players they'll pull away but Clare have proven they're a resilient team and will give LM their fill of it any which way they want it.

I'd like to see Clare win it and they'll need goals from Duggan and Co but it's hard to look by a seasoned Limerick whose discipline will be very much tested and under the spotlight this weekend.

Antrim v Kerry in the Joe McDonagh, the Down lads i talked to very much fancy Antrim to win well but Kerry seem to be improving every game, so won't or shouldn't be underestimated, but Antrim I'd go with.
Galway have been improving. I think they have more kick in them than KK.
Muster final very interesting. Are Limerick in decline or can they turn on the afterburners? Clare look like the coming team unless they get an unmerciful hammering.

Antrim should be good enough to win.

I'd agree with that in general but even poor Kilkenny teams have a knack of winning Leinster titles and Galway you're never too sure if they'll turn up.

Limerick aren't on the wane, they're still unbeaten with injuries to big players throughout that time and will probably get stronger post Sunday with Lynch due back, but Clare have been building, lets not forget they really should have beaten Cork in the Quarter final last year only for Tony Kelly of all people to hit a poor shot at Patrick Collins right at the death and with O'Donnell and Duggan adding a lot more bite in their forwards. Clare will probably get beat on Sunday but their summer is far from over IMO.

clonadmad

Quote from: johnnycool on June 01, 2022, 10:18:52 AM

Whilst I think Galway are the better team only a fool would write Kilkenny off in a Leinster final and with a semi-final berth at stake I'm divided on this one....

Limerick and the wee neighbours Clare go at it again on Sunday, Limerick will believe that with a fuller deck of players they'll pull away but Clare have proven they're a resilient team and will give LM their fill of it any which way they want it.

I'd like to see Clare win it and they'll need goals from Duggan and Co but it's hard to look by a seasoned Limerick whose discipline will be very much tested and under the spotlight this weekend.

Antrim v Kerry in the Joe McDonagh, the Down lads i talked to very much fancy Antrim to win well but Kerry seem to be improving every game, so won't or shouldn't be underestimated, but Antrim I'd go with.
Muster final very interesting. Are Limerick in decline or can they turn on the afterburners? Clare look like the coming team unless they get an unmerciful hammering.

I'd agree with that in general but even poor Kilkenny teams have a knack of winning Leinster titles and Galway you're never too sure if they'll turn up.

Limerick aren't on the wane, they're still unbeaten with injuries to big players throughout that time and will probably get stronger post Sunday with Lynch due back, but Clare have been building, lets not forget they really should have beaten Cork in the Quarter final last year only for Tony Kelly of all people to hit a poor shot at Patrick Collins right at the death and with O'Donnell and Duggan adding a lot more bite in their forwards. Clare will probably get beat on Sunday but their summer is far from over IMO.

Cian Lynch won't be back as per statement from Limerick CB

"On Saturday evening last Cian sustained a hamstring injury and will now undergo a period of rehabilitation under the supervision of our medical team. As a result, Cian will not have any further involvement in this year's Munster hurling championship.

"No further comment will be made regarding Cian's injury at this time. We wish Cian a very speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him back playing again in the very near future."

marty34

Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2022, 11:01:46 AM

"On Saturday evening last Cian sustained a hamstring injury and will now undergo a period of rehabilitation under the supervision of our medical team. As a result, Cian will not have any further involvement in this year's Munster hurling championship.

"No further comment will be made regarding Cian's injury at this time. We wish Cian a very speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him back playing again in the very near future."

I think JC said 'post Sunday' i.e. the next game.

Galway V KK will be interesting. All the media focus will be on the side-line.  KK need to get better into Eoin Cody if they are to stand a chance.  I'm not 100% convinced about their puckouts and what they're trying to do.

I was in Salthill and they stuck to their short passing game, even though Deegan and Murphy got caught out a few times. I liked the way they stuck at it but against Wexford the last time out, the route one was used time and time again. So I'm not convinced on what their game plan is.

Galway are going well - Tom Monaghan really a good find in mid-field. Whealan still the go to man and Cooney gets through a lot of work.  What's the chances of Fintan Burke hitting a few scores from sidelines in Croker?

Clare have impressed me this year.  Took it easy in the league but have surprised a lot of people in the championship. Give TK a free role and let him roam. Shane O'Donnell really good in the loose at half-forward. He can win any sort of ball.  The out ball with Duggan is always on so it'll be interesting.

It'll be interesting to see if Limerick get any cards and will Clare thunder into Hegarty and Gillane.  Calre can't give any frees away with Byrnes in POTY form at the minute. Fancy Limerick - hard to look past them.

Antrim should lift the Joe Mc Donagh but I wouldn't write off Kerry. Fionán Mackessy is one to look out for - a gifted hurler who'll cause Antrim problems from, I presume, half-back.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on June 01, 2022, 01:41:10 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2022, 11:01:46 AM

I think JC said 'post Sunday' i.e. the next game.

Galway V KK will be interesting. All the media focus will be on the side-line.  KK need to get better into Eoin Cody if they are to stand a chance.  I'm not 100% convinced about their puckouts and what they're trying to do.

I was in Salthill and they stuck to their short passing game, even though Deegan and Murphy got caught out a few times. I liked the way they stuck at it but against Wexford the last time out, the route one was used time and time again. So I'm not convinced on what their game plan is.

Galway are going well - Tom Monaghan really a good find in mid-field. Whealan still the go to man and Cooney gets through a lot of work.  What's the chances of Fintan Burke hitting a few scores from sidelines in Croker?

Clare have impressed me this year.  Took it easy in the league but have surprised a lot of people in the championship. Give TK a free role and let him roam. Shane O'Donnell really good in the loose at half-forward. He can win any sort of ball.  The out ball with Duggan is always on so it'll be interesting.

It'll be interesting to see if Limerick get any cards and will Clare thunder into Hegarty and Gillane.  Calre can't give any frees away with Byrnes in POTY form at the minute. Fancy Limerick - hard to look past them.

Antrim should lift the Joe Mc Donagh but I wouldn't write off Kerry. Fionán Mackessy is one to look out for - a gifted hurler who'll cause Antrim problems from, I presume, half-back.

I certainly did as if Limerick win on Sunday they've a three week break till their next outing.

Wexford backs and sweeper/deep lying midfielder ate up that high ball in on top of Wally and TJ, McInerney and Burke will need to do the same and make KK play that uncomfortable "through the lines" stuff and turn them over. Lawlor is a fine fullback but did struggle with the introduction of Whelan in Salthill, I'm not so sure about their centre back though, think it was Richie Reid vrs Wexford, not a dominant player, will do a job, Deegans looks a fine bull of a man, but striking looks laboured for this level.
Midfield was won by Galway the last day out, but it was still a 1 point game. It'll be interesting with the losing team possibly looking at Cork (no offence to Antrim or Kerry) in a quarterfinal.. Much at stake.

Milltown Row2

Galway with a bit to spare 4 points
Limerick will get over the line, just 1 point
Antrim by 4 and if they lose it's on purpose  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 01, 2022, 09:13:50 PM

Getting a bit of holiday money gathered up?  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on June 02, 2022, 03:25:41 PM

I'd say on who'd they prefer to play!!

It's a tough game for both teams after this playing Cork or Wexford... who would you choose?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2022, 04:55:16 PM

It's a tough game for both teams after this playing Cork or Wexford... who would you choose?

Not sure why people think Wexford would be mush easier, drew with Galway & beat Kilkenny.

imtommygunn

Tbh I doubt it matters. Beating Kerry is the only thing that matters.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on June 02, 2022, 09:25:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2022, 04:55:16 PM

Not sure why people think Wexford would be mush easier, drew with Galway & beat Kilkenny.

I said it be tough either team... we've played well against Wexford, I can't remember the last game we played well against Cork..

Blowitupref

Cody still winning Leinster titles, 3rd in a row and 18 in total as manager. Poor quality final Galway never looked like winning it.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

Galway hugely disappointing. Kilkenny just fight for absolutely everything. If you're not up for the fight you stand no chance ability or not.

From the Bunker

Shefflin still waiting at the dugout for a handshake from Coady!

didlyi

Poor game. When will players learn that spare hand pulling and dragging for all to see results in a free. Galway gave Tj every chance to win the game for KK.

GaillimhIarthair

Shocking Galway "performance".  Out fought and out thought through-out the game.  Got increasingly aimless the more the game wore on.  Cant see either of those teams troubling Limerick and possibly 1 or 2 others.