Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

My memory must be hazy but I don't recall that great sense of euphoria that people are saying they're experienced at the time, especially from those who were in their teens then.

It was sceptical optimism. We'd already been through a few false dawns.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

HiMucker

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on May 19, 2022, 07:18:36 PM
A nonsense show that only got famous because it is set in the 90's, the writer knew this would work. The young hipster youth love the 90s, they have a romanticised view of it. That is why the show FRIENDS is so big now, because of 90s nostalgia, it is probably bigger now that when it actually aired.
I also notice how the whole of county Derry are buying into the whole 'Derry Girl' thing, for example you would see the Derry ladies teams refer to themselves as Derry Girls on social media. The Eurovision girl from Bellaghy was also called a Derry girl. I don't know about anyone else but as a South Derry native I have little contact with any goings on in Derry City, I haven't even been there in 8 years. The only connection to Derry I have is that the county was named after the town. I am sure people in North Cork for example can relate to this agenda.
;D ;D ;D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on May 19, 2022, 10:27:30 PM
My memory must be hazy but I don't recall that great sense of euphoria that people are saying they're experienced at the time, especially from those who were in their teens then.

Same. I recall more hullabaloo around the ceasefire in 1994.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 19, 2022, 10:37:41 PM

Same. I recall more hullabaloo around the ceasefire in 1994.

As a naive teenager I thought it was a United Ireland!

Was a poignant last show. Made me think there probably would never have been a GFA were those Tories bastards in power. vermin!

Rois

I've seen people comment more on how important it was in hindsight, not specifically that it was as emotional at the time. I got to vote on the very day I turned 18, so it was a big deal for me, but never dreamt that it wouldn't pass, so no big sense of victory at the time. If John Hume thought it was the right thing to do, then that was me sold.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

A nonsense show that only got famous because it is set in the 90's, the writer knew this would work. The young hipster youth love the 90s, they have a romanticised view of it. That is why the show FRIENDS is so big now, because of 90s nostalgia, it is probably bigger now that when it actually aired.
I also notice how the whole of county Derry are buying into the whole 'Derry Girl' thing, for example you would see the Derry ladies teams refer to themselves as Derry Girls on social media. The Eurovision girl from Bellaghy was also called a Derry girl. I don't know about anyone else but as a South Derry native I have little contact with any goings on in Derry City, I haven't even been there in 8 years. The only connection to Derry I have is that the county was named after the town. I am sure people in North Cork for example can relate to this agenda.

I suppose it's a good feel show that people want to be connected with.  Tbh as a city man I'd not have seen county Derry only for playing GAA, never felt like my county, we very rarely ventured over the bridge during troubles and i think i was only in Belfast handful of times before went to uni . Donegal always felt more natural in every way,family names, relations , work,history , holidays etc

Loughshore2022

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 19, 2022, 08:37:10 PM
Jesus. Tough audience.
So, writer writes about something as she knows it will be popular?! Thats one clever lady

My point is that it is popular for the wrong reasons, not because it is particularly funny but people like the nostalgic aspect of it and foreigners like the unusual accents. I've been watching sitcoms since I was 8 years old and the best I've been are Frasier and Two and a half men. They are great because of the comedy, not some nostalgic notion attached to it

Loughshore2022

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 19, 2022, 11:21:34 PM

I suppose it's a good feel show that people want to be connected with.  Tbh as a city man I'd not have seen county Derry only for playing GAA, never felt like my county, we very rarely ventured over the bridge during troubles and i think i was only in Belfast handful of times before went to uni . Donegal always felt more natural in every way,family names, relations , work,history , holidays etc

West of Derry city actually used to be in Donegal during the early years of counties before Londonderry was formed. South Derry was North East Tyrone believe it or not. I would say that modern South Derry has more in common with South Antrim though.
Another interesting thing about history is that Inishowen and North co.Derry was part of Tir Eoghain before modern East Tyrone was. It was in the 'Cenel Eoghain' which was the earliest version of Tyrone. So basically Dungiven was in Tyrone before Dungannon was. Irish history is a complex thing.
If Derry City had stayed in Donegal then County Donegal could have been called Londonderry.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on May 21, 2022, 01:22:35 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 19, 2022, 08:37:10 PM
Jesus. Tough audience.
So, writer writes about something as she knows it will be popular?! Thats one clever lady

My point is that it is popular for the wrong reasons, not because it is particularly funny but people like the nostalgic aspect of it and foreigners like the unusual accents. I've been watching sitcoms since I was 8 years old and the best I've been are Frasier and Two and a half men. They are great because of the comedy, not some nostalgic notion attached to it

Ffs if someone likes it, they like it. Let's not try to delve too deep into it. Sitcom snobbery now!! 😂
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

gallsman

Two and a half Men mentioned in the same breath as Frasier. Jesus wept.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people enjoying the show  because of the nostalgia element or familiarity, think it's all part of it. It's not written as a laugh a minute comedy.

It's not on a par with even some recent Ch 4 stuff like the Inbetweeners from a pure comedy perspective, never mind the classics, but that doesn't mean it's not thoroughly enjoyable in its own right

Loughshore2022

Quote from: gallsman on May 21, 2022, 01:37:51 PM
Two and a half Men mentioned in the same breath as Frasier. Jesus wept.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people enjoying the show  because of the nostalgia element or familiarity, think it's all part of it. It's not written as a laugh a minute comedy.

It's not on a par with even some recent Ch 4 stuff like the Inbetweeners from a pure comedy perspective, never mind the classics, but that doesn't mean it's not thoroughly enjoyable in its own right

Yet you say you like Inbetweeners, ithas similar humour to Two and a half men. Both are filthy shows with mainly sexual jokes but that is why both are good. Two and a half men is actually better than Inbetweeners, Alan and the house keeper Berta are iconic sitcom characters. Another thing is that people usually hated when Ashton Kitchen replaced Charlie Sheen but I actually preferred him.

gallsman

They're completely different shows. The Inbetweeners is a comedy about the, mostly sexual, mishaps of teenage boys and all that that entails. Most men can relate to that awkwardness they felt growing up at that sort of age, horned out of it but nervous around girls, struggling to fit in and find their place. That's where the comedy in it is largely derived from.

Two and Half Men is a comedy with some of the same sort of jokes about grown, nearly middle aged, men. Completely different premise altogether.

laoislad

"Horned out of it"
😂😂
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on May 21, 2022, 01:34:00 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 19, 2022, 11:21:34 PM

West of Derry city actually used to be in Donegal during the early years of counties before Londonderry was formed. South Derry was North East Tyrone believe it or not. I would say that modern South Derry has more in common with South Antrim though.
Another interesting thing about history is that Inishowen and North co.Derry was part of Tir Eoghain before modern East Tyrone was. It was in the 'Cenel Eoghain' which was the earliest version of Tyrone. So basically Dungiven was in Tyrone before Dungannon was. Irish history is a complex thing.
If Derry City had stayed in Donegal then County Donegal could have been called Londonderry.

The old trick pub quiz question was "what is biggest town in Inishowen" , Derry City.

The whole cityside was Inishowen and then part of cityside was separated as ecclesiastical lands. But even then most of cityside remained in Inishowen.
When the Brits were dividing O Dohertys land between them Inishowen and its boundaries were given down to the very streams that demarked the land. Basically the stream that runs down from ballymagroarty and a line that runs west of that to penny burn. Galliagh, Carnhill, Shantallow, Culmore, coshquin, penny burn and anywhere in between those areas are in Inishowen. We are far further north in the peninsula than likes of Burt who are in Inishowen

The Waterside county Derry to me. Cityside just in name, island people hemmed in lol

gallsman

Quote from: laoislad on May 21, 2022, 02:22:50 PM
"Horned out of it"
😂😂

I imagine some of us were worse than others.