Restaurants in Belfast?

Started by The Gs Man, January 13, 2009, 01:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 23, 2009, 02:19:28 PM
Donagh, my Mrs and I were in La Boca not so long ago and honestly, the food was awful

Suppose it depends what you are into. It is a speciality restaurant/bistro which is why I pointed out that although it's Argentinian, it's not a steakhouse as one might expect when they hear that. Not the type of place you'd order the Irish standards but if like me you've a bit of a gra for the Latin American cuisine, or want to be adventurous it can be very good. The interior of the restaurant is also very appealing, IMO.

delboy

Don't know if its already been mentioned but 'mollys yard' at the back of queens is lovely.

Old Bill

Quote from: SidelineKick on April 23, 2009, 12:25:47 PM
Not overly upmarket or anything but I can't get enough of Spur (Victoria Sq and Newry).  Their steaks and burgers are unbelievable, very good staff as well, have never encountered ignorant staff, always polite and friendly.  Nice place for a cheaper bite to eat.
really?

where is la boca?

Puckoon

Quote from: Rois on April 23, 2009, 01:16:58 PM
lots of light and palm trees.

Palm trees? Are we still talking about belfast here?

SidelineKick

Quote from: Old Bill on April 23, 2009, 03:33:12 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on April 23, 2009, 12:25:47 PM
Not overly upmarket or anything but I can't get enough of Spur (Victoria Sq and Newry).  Their steaks and burgers are unbelievable, very good staff as well, have never encountered ignorant staff, always polite and friendly.  Nice place for a cheaper bite to eat.
really?

where is la boca?

Was that meant for me? Anyway:

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Donagh on April 23, 2009, 02:32:59 PM
Donagh, my Mrs and I were in La Boca not so long ago and honestly, the food was awful

Suppose it depends what you are into. It is a speciality restaurant/bistro which is why I pointed out that although it's Argentinian, it's not a steakhouse as one might expect when they hear that. Not the type of place you'd order the Irish standards but if like me you've a bit of a gra for the Latin American cuisine, or want to be adventurous it can be very good. The interior of the restaurant is also very appealing, IMO.
I like all sorts of food, as does my Mrs... maybe it was an off night for them.  It was a Friday evening, the place wasn't packed or anywhere close to it though.  The food was a long time coming, when it did it was over-cooked to the point of being hard to eat.  Never again.

Spur in Victoria Centre is great though
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

SidelineKick

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 23, 2009, 04:58:44 PM
Quote from: Donagh on April 23, 2009, 02:32:59 PM

I like all sorts of food, as does my Mrs... maybe it was an off night for them.  It was a Friday evening, the place wasn't packed or anywhere close to it though.  The food was a long time coming, when it did it was over-cooked to the point of being hard to eat.  Never again.

Spur in Victoria Centre is great though

Yup, I said that earlier, totally agree.  Real good portions for reasonable price and absolutely lovely food.  As I also mentioned earlier, and something I think is important, the staff, especially in the one in Newry are very very friendly and helpful.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Our Nail Loney

Got a lovely feed there earlier in the Vintage in Lurgan, top grub and cheap as chips compared to other places mentioned here...

ardmhachaabu

Pizza Express in Victoria Centre
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Archie Mitchell

Had the best steak ever in La Boca. Bit of a limited choice, but the quality of the steak makes up for it.

Victoria Square has alot of places for good reasonably priced food. Have tried Nando's, Spur, Frankie and Benny's, Chilli's. There are loads more and the chinese all you can eat recently opened and is supposed to be good and cheap enough.

Other nice places would be Tony Roma's and Bourbon. A bit expensive but worth it.

girt_giggler

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on April 23, 2009, 05:33:46 PM
Had the best steak ever in La Boca. Bit of a limited choice, but the quality of the steak makes up for it.

Victoria Square has alot of places for good reasonably priced food. Have tried Nando's, Spur, Frankie and Benny's, Chilli's. There are loads more and the chinese all you can eat recently opened and is supposed to be good and cheap enough.

Other nice places would be Tony Roma's and Bourbon. A bit expensive but worth it.

Seriously? is it upstairs where all the rest of the food places are? was up the other day but didnt notice it.  Was in one in Newcastle the other week, in 'The Gate'.  Fecking huge it was,  would of easily seated 500 folk if not more (although beer goggles were on).  Top quality grub (again beer kicked in) & all for £6.99

Archie Mitchell

Yeah, it's between Frankie & Bennys and Chilli's. Think it's £6.80 between 12pm - 5pm and a few quid dearer after that. Heading today at lunchtime so will let use know what it's like later on.

Hoopeddefender

Don't go to Belfast ever you will get robbed or stabbed by the locals.
'I don't want an apology, I want a locked back door.'

balladmaker

Anyone been in the restaurant of the new Fitzwilliam Hotel yet?  If so, any good?

Declan

QuoteAnyone been in the restaurant of the new Fitzwilliam Hotel yet?  If so, any good?

That's where I'm staying balladmaker - booked the restaurant for the friday night as we'll only be arriving then so looking forward to it.