Restaurants in Belfast?

Started by The Gs Man, January 13, 2009, 01:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

girt_giggler

Red Panda, Great Victoria Street....yum yum

Onion Bag

Quote from: Declan on April 23, 2009, 11:42:18 AM
Right folks - Got some great pointers re hotels earlier in the year and am heading up there in a couple of weeks for a wedding anniversary weekend - Any recommendations for a nice restaurant on a Sat night in Belfast?

What are you after Declan, Chinese, Italian, steak???
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Declan

Italian wouldn't be top choice - other half isn't a huge pasta fan so a decent restaurant with good menu choice really

supersarsfields

Hi Declan,

There's a few places that are decent but depends what you want.

Quick bite - Ryan's up on Lisburn Road do some really nice feeds and generally very reasonable.

Good restaurant - Some might argue but I have to say I used to enjoy the Kings head upstairs for a feed. Also For something different you could try the Morning star ( Haven't been in a while so I'm assuming it's still going) It does some lovely meals mixed with a few exotic. From what I remember wasn't overly expensive.

Again some people think it's over rated but I love Deanes in belfast and while it is expensive does a great feed with good service.

Chinese - Red Panda or the Water margin are my two favorites.

Also for something less formal Esperanzo's or Villa iltalia are decent eateries aswell.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Declan on April 23, 2009, 12:09:48 PM
Italian wouldn't be top choice - other half isn't a huge pasta fan so a decent restaurant with good menu choice really

Villa Italia up beside Queens University
Tbc....

nifan

Quote from: supersarsfields on April 23, 2009, 12:18:16 PM
Again some people think it's over rated but I love Deanes in belfast and while it is expensive does a great feed with good service.

Deanes at queens is good for a cheaper, more informal atmosphere.

Im a a big fan of the ginger bistro, off great victoria street

SidelineKick

Not overly upmarket or anything but I can't get enough of Spur (Victoria Sq and Newry).  Their steaks and burgers are unbelievable, very good staff as well, have never encountered ignorant staff, always polite and friendly.  Nice place for a cheaper bite to eat.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Onion Bag

Have to say i love Scallinis on botanic Avenue, been in it loads of times and not one complaint can be made about it
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

gawa316

What about For Cod and Ulster for a wee bite? ;)

Passed it the other day for the first time, the outside of it is hilarious

Donagh

Declan for a decent restaurant in Saturday evenings you will have to book beforehand. As nifan says Deanes@Queen's is very good choice with a less formal atmosphere than the main restaurant in the city centre. Another consideration on that line is Deanes Deli which has a more Asian fusion type menu but still the quality of all the Deanes outlets.

There's loads to choose from in Belfast so you are better first deciding on the area. In the city centre there are loads. James Street South is always consistently good. The Great Room Restaurant (Merchant Hotel) is a luxurious treat. Mourne Seafood Bar can't be beaten for fresh seafood but it can be noisy and crowded. No 27 (Talbot Street) is a personal favourite of mine but can be a little pricey. La Boca  on Fountain Street (beside Royal Ave) is an Argentinian place (not a steakhouse) that has a great atmosphere - high ceilings, wood interiors etc with very tasty food but the menu can be a little limited. The new trendy one a the minute is behind the Northern Bank. Can remember the name but remember Rois mentioning being in it.

Off the beaten track, if you want a romantic location and you are driving or prepared to pay for a taxi, you could try Belfast Castle. Food is usually top class and very good value though the menu is limited.

Rois

I agree with everything Donagh says - I'd follow his advice rather than Supersarsfields (sorry!) if you're treating yourself.  Have never been to La Boca - walk past it a lot, must get a wee evening in it some time.

You're bound to be having a cheap wkend with the euro etc so head to Deane's or the Merchant.  My sister ate in the Fitzwilliam a couple of wks ago and said it was lovely but very empty due to its newness.  It might be different at the weekend though. 

On another note, I ate in Cafe Vaudeville last Fri night - wasn't overly impressed but the setting was lovely as it was early.  If you're going for an afternoon drink, I'd hit there, lots of light and palm trees.

Declan

Thanks for the tips folks seems there are a good number of choices so will investigate online and then decide 

supersarsfields

You could be right Rois I'm more of a Esperantos than Esperanzo!!  :D
But I reckon if you go for one of the Deanes you'll not go far wrong.

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ardmhachaabu

Donagh, my Mrs and I were in La Boca not so long ago and honestly, the food was awful
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something