Started by The Gs Man, January 13, 2009, 01:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

hatfield, free bbq on a wed...

The mexican place in victoria square aint bad
AMPM aswell isnt too pricey, but good service

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Joxer on January 13, 2009, 02:50:26 PM
Are any of these near the odyssey lads? Going to a concert there next week now and looking for somewhere tasty.  I was told about that Scallinis, What is it like?

Only one place to go to pre Odyssey - Tedfords - next to Donegall Quay Car Park and a five minute walk to the Odyssey. Exceptional Food.

goal and a point

Tonys Romis next door to Villa Italia / opposite hte globe if you like the steaks and the platter of ribs ect. american size portions and farely reasonabley priced.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: goal and a point on January 13, 2009, 05:04:33 PM
Tonys Romis next door to Villa Italia / opposite hte globe if you like the steaks and the platter of ribs ect. american size portions and farely reasonabley priced.

Tony Romas i a good spot, though the chips are american style as well, those dopey wee fries!!

Have to say Villa Italia was probably the best spot I ate in Belfast, great food and the service was excellent, plus the food was the quickest I have ever got! Both times I went...

Honourable mentions to Conor on Stranmillis and Scallinis (same ppl own that as Villa Italia)

Rois

Quote from: under the bar on January 13, 2009, 03:10:38 PM

Quirky food but lacking in quality.  Like pub food but at 2-3 times the price.   Your mum could make it!

Totally disagree.  Sure you could say a chinese restaurant is like a takeaway only twice/3 times the price!  I can't believe you'd diss Made in Belfast yet recommend Bourbon.  Was there two weeks ago and had a very average dinner.

Puckoon

Bourbon is still on the go then - it was a great spot back in the early 2000's.

Benedicts used to do great food back then too.

Square Ball

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 13, 2009, 02:06:06 PM
Quote from: Rois on January 13, 2009, 01:50:08 PM
For something different, try Made in Belfast, down the street beside the Northern Bank.  It's quirky and the food is lovely - they serve chips in tin cups and burgers on Belfast Baps.  Not too dear either.

Or Zen chinese on Adelaide Street, which was my favourite restaurant until Made in Belfast came along.

Is Zen not Japanese?

Best Chinese is Macau on the Ormeau Road.

Always liked L'Etoile also. Not sure if it is still there.

Yip

its still there SS2
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on January 13, 2009, 05:32:20 PM

Quirky food but lacking in quality.  Like pub food but at 2-3 times the price.   Your mum could make it!

Totally disagree.  Sure you could say a chinese restaurant is like a takeaway only twice/3 times the price!  I can't believe you'd diss Made in Belfast yet recommend Bourbon.  Was there two weeks ago and had a very average dinner.

I'm suspicious of "quirky" as I'd say most on here are. I'd rather have good food cooked well without resorting to "twists" like putting chips in tin cups! Are bowls very 2008 in Belfast?!

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 13, 2009, 08:13:04 PM
Quote from: Rois on January 13, 2009, 05:32:20 PM

I'm suspicious of "quirky" as I'd say most on here are. I'd rather have good food cooked well without resorting to "twists" like putting chips in tin cups! Are bowls very 2008 in Belfast?!

Aye i would tread carefully if someone decribed a reataurant as "quirky", in fact i think i would make a point of not going to it. I think a restaurant should primarily be judged on the quality of its food, not what "wacky" object they serve it in.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

under the bar

QuoteQuirky food but lacking in quality.  Like pub food but at 2-3 times the price.   Your mum could make it!

A burger is still a burger even if you put it in a mouldy belfast bap and charge £10 for it.   As I said, pub food with a bit of retro decor.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on January 13, 2009, 09:31:56 PM
You'd need to have a jaw like....Jaws to eat a 'Belfast bap burger'. Sounds shite.
The Great White Shark or him from Bond that bit through the cable car cable? Richard Kiel I think he was called.

Rois

Right, fair enough, I was just saying!   :'(

Bourbon's one of those places Gordon Ramsey would tear to shreds in "Kitchen Nightmares" - about 30 things on the menu for main course (including a burger for £10.95 UTB, if you take a look!).

I work in the city centre and eat out a fair bit in different places around there - Made in Belfast is a welcome addition and at the top of my list.  Dinner in a restaurant is about more than just the food - and MIB is nice for somewhere different.  

Just because McDonalds say you should eat a burger with your hands, doesn't mean you have to!  A knife and fork is perfectly adequate for tackling the Belfast Bap - am sure you've had a steak baguette before, it's along those lines.

under the bar

QuoteRight, fair enough, I was just saying!   Cry

Bourbon's one of those places Gordon Ramsey would tear to shreds in "Kitchen Nightmares" - about 30 things on the menu for main course (including a burger for £10.95 UTB, if you take a look!).

I work in the city centre and eat out a fair bit in different places around there - Made in Belfast is a welcome addition and at the top of my list.  Dinner in a restaurant is about more than just the food - and MIB is nice for somewhere different. 

OK Rois MIB is a bit different, however the OP was looking for somewhere to take his wife for her b'day and my personal opinion is that Bourbon or the the Sqaure would be more suitable for such an occasion.  MIB would be more suited to a casual night out with friends.

stpauls

i took the missus to Frankie and Benny's on saturday afternoon, a new york style restaurant on the top floor of Victoria Square.
£40 for 2 starters, 2 mains, a garlic bread and a round of drinks. pretty tasty food too!

corn02