Structures

Started by Butch Cassidy, April 16, 2024, 11:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Cassidy

What's people's thoughts on the Leinster championship? It's sad that losing to Offaly can be counted as a blessing buy when you see the 'reward' for winning its hard not to be a small way relieved.

Nothing will top the feeling of winning the  Leinster in 03 but think Leinster championship as it is now is a waste of time. Maybe moving it to the start of the year and replacing the O Byrne cup is the way forward.

Chrimtain

I think you are right. Its now an entirely devalued competition so let it take the place of the O'Byrne Cup at the start of the season.

From the Terrace

Croke park don't seem to want to do anything with our provincial football setup. Leinster & Munster are not competitive, Connacht is mildly competitive, Ulster is a good championship.

Option leave Connacht & Ulster alone. Mix Leinster & Munster Top 8 in one division - bottom 10 in division two type championship both knockout competitions.

Hurling is different for me, i like both championships & would like to see 2 rest weeks instead of 1 atm.

High Fielder

Munster isn't much better. Connacht marginally better than that and Ulster the most competitive but depressing to watch. The bigger question is what does the GAA want for counties like Laois and many like us. All suggestions I have seen throw us in with Leitrim and Wicklow and we play each other until we're blue in the face and eventually, somehow, you go up a level, maybe two. Nobody really cares.

We just can't compete. Forget all the scribes and wafflers who tell us to get our house in order. It just can't be done. They know it can't be done either, but they're happy with the status quo. Personally I think it's rubbish, and by the looks of things so do many other people. They can do what they like with it. Re jig, play in September, replace this with that, whatever. In reality, gaelic games will always be dominated by the same counties and that's just that

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Can anyone work out how Dublin are as good as they are? The template is there so why aren't other leinster counties copying it and competing with them?
My thoughts on it is that it's mostly down to an almost endless supply of money and a very good County board. The obscene amount of money they were granted by the GAA was used very wisely and they are still reaping the rewards of that investment, money is rolling in from sponsorship and things are only getting better for them. So what do other counties do or is it a lost cause.
Thoughts please.....
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

The PRO

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on April 26, 2024, 10:40:12 PMCan anyone work out how Dublin are as good as they are? The template is there so why aren't other leinster counties copying it and competing with them?
My thoughts on it is that it's mostly down to an almost endless supply of money and a very good County board. The obscene amount of money they were granted by the GAA was used very wisely and they are still reaping the rewards of that investment, money is rolling in from sponsorship and things are only getting better for them. So what do other counties do or is it a lost cause.
Thoughts please.....
I'll play devil's advocate!
I think Dublin have hit on an exceptional seam of footballers.
Yeah, the money and good administration helped but I would say they've had a couple of superb managers and a generational group of players.
Their minor and under 20 record isn't all that and they've never really pushed on to the next level in hurling so I think at some point, they will come back to the field.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on April 26, 2024, 10:40:12 PMCan anyone work out how Dublin are as good as they are? The template is there so why aren't other leinster counties copying it and competing with them?
Thoughts please.....

I have entered a token amount of links below. You look at these Dublin clubs, you look at the facilities, you look at the numbers, you look at the money involved, you look at their professional coaches.

All doing great work - but, you can't help but see the advantages.

Bring that onto the next level - Intercounty, and you see how high the bar to be reached is. Home games ALL the time added to this. It's a complete farce. The gas thing is that the Gaelic fraternity are in complete denial or just don't want to deal with this.