Club Championships Jan-Mar 2019

Started by Ball Hopper, December 10, 2018, 01:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Quote from: seafoid on February 18, 2019, 12:58:52 PM
Quote from: Rudi on February 18, 2019, 11:16:55 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 18, 2019, 10:00:06 AM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on February 17, 2019, 09:03:21 PM
No matter how much hurling and football is played in 12 months it's always 4 familiar names on 17th march
Fair play -  on paper it should be 2 cracking games
The football final has the potential of making us believe in the big ball game once more !!

Club is much more open than county

Teams from Carlow, Antrim, Roscommon and Wicklow have won the football

Teams from Antrim and Dublin have won the hurling

Even teams from Galway have won it, hardly a hot spot of the GAA :)

Brigids was great.
I was in Athlone the month after and all the posters were still up

The players had a few pints too. Where was Davy Brady?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rudi on February 18, 2019, 02:05:17 PM
No matter how much hurling and football is played in 12 months it's always 4 familiar names on 17th march
The football final has the potential of making us believe in the big ball game once more !!

Brigids was great.

Was an attention seeking response from this balloon..

Amateur sportsmen celebrating winning an Ulster championship.... If they had have stayed off the booze right from the start of the season there would have been no guarantees they'd have won their own title never mind the Ulster title..Corofin more than likely would have won the game, thats why the bookies had them favs not because they heard that the Donegal men were still on the sauce.

The Corofin lads after winning their title would have also had a few drinks, but they are a different animal, they've been there before and have been conditioned to expect to be chasing the major prize every season, Cassidy team has enough in their locker to be back next year, as do the teams they bate to get there..

They'll be able to take stock and see where they can improve next time, but it won't be down to having some drinks
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 18, 2019, 11:21:04 AM
I tihnk I make it 14 out of the 15 starters for Corofin on Saturday have played either FBD, League or Championship for Galway with Dylan McHugh who played in an All Ireland U21 final the only player not to do so. There's another few on the bench too, such a strong panel which only Crokes can match.

Gavin Burke looked good when he came on, he's Ian's younger brother. Think he's got got 2 more years left at U20 level for Galway.
Could be wrong but I don't remember Jason Leonard or Martin Farragher playing FBD for Galway?

Blowitupref

I tihnk I make it 14 out of the 15 starters for Corofin on Saturday have played either FBD, League or Championship for Galway with Dylan McHugh who played in an All Ireland U21 final the only player not to do so. There's another few on the bench too, such a strong panel which only Crokes can match.

Gavin Burke looked good when he came on, he's Ian's younger brother. Think he's got got 2 more years left at U20 level for Galway.
It's a strong panel alright although of that starting team on Saturday only Fitzgerald,Sice who was and Burke,Silke currently is can be called established Galway senior county footballers, so i think Corofin are more about how well managed they are and the system,game plan they play and that's the challenge Crokes face on March 17th they have a panel to match Corofin but are they as good off the field as on it? 

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 18, 2019, 02:19:19 PM
Quote from: Rudi on February 18, 2019, 02:05:17 PM

Brigids was great.

Was an attention seeking response from this balloon..

Amateur sportsmen celebrating winning an Ulster championship.... If they had have stayed off the booze right from the start of the season there would have been no guarantees they'd have won their own title never mind the Ulster title..Corofin more than likely would have won the game, thats why the bookies had them favs not because they heard that the Donegal men were still on the sauce.

The Corofin lads after winning their title would have also had a few drinks, but they are a different animal, they've been there before and have been conditioned to expect to be chasing the major prize every season, Cassidy team has enough in their locker to be back next year, as do the teams they bate to get there..

They'll be able to take stock and see where they can improve next time, but it won't be down to having some drinks
No guarantees for Gaoth Dobhair. No Donegal club has dominated in recent years.

Plus, its unlikely Kilcar will be lining out for the championship without Patrick McBrearty and Ryan McHugh again.

That said, I would expect to see both in the final four, at least, draw depending.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: galwayman on February 18, 2019, 02:21:06 PM

Could be wrong but I don't remember Jason Leonard or Martin Farragher playing FBD for Galway?

I thought Leonard played against Mayo in the FBD this year? Perhaps he was an unused sub likewise thought Martin Farragher had played FBD a few years ago.

They've some panel though when you look at that bench and it show no signs of letting up; There's been plenty of Corofin lads who've impressed playing underage for Galway in recent years. I forget his name now but the corner forward who played in last years minor final has a lot of talent, very light but was kicking scores from either feet effortlessly.

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 19, 2019, 10:26:23 AM

I thought Leonard played against Mayo in the FBD this year? Perhaps he was an unused sub likewise thought Martin Farragher had played FBD a few years ago.

They've some panel though when you look at that bench and it show no signs of letting up; There's been plenty of Corofin lads who've impressed playing underage for Galway in recent years. I forget his name now but the corner forward who played in last years minor final has a lot of talent, very light but was kicking scores from either feet effortlessly.
Matthew Cooley was the minor corner forward.
I was even more impressed by the centre back Tony Gill on that minor team - another Corofin man.

Never beat the deeler

Was hoping to watch the club semi finals but can't find them on the TG4 player - highlights only.

Does anyone know if the full games are available? And are they available overseas?

TIA
Hasta la victoria siempre

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on February 20, 2019, 07:06:41 AM
Was hoping to watch the club semi finals but can't find them on the TG4 player - highlights only.

Does anyone know if the full games are available? And are they available overseas?

TIA

On GAAGO

Maroon Manc

Quote from: galwayman on February 19, 2019, 10:54:34 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 19, 2019, 10:26:23 AM

Matthew Cooley was the minor corner forward.
I was even more impressed by the centre back Tony Gill on that minor team - another Corofin man.

Gill was very good, interested to see how many of them can force their way onto the u20 team this year, If I had to pick one it would be Cathal Sweeney.

Ball Hopper

All done...

Senior Football

16 Feb: Corofin (Galway) 2-13 Gaoth Dobhair (Donegal) 1-12
16 Feb: Dr. Crokes (Kerry) 0-18 Mullinalaghta (Longford) 2-7

March 17: Final Corofin (Galway) 2-16 Dr. Crokes (Kerry) 0-10

Intermediate Football

20 Jan: St. Enda's (Antrim) 3-9 An Spidéal (Galway) 0-11
20 Jan: Kilcummin (Kerry) 0-11 Two Mile House (Kildare) 0-10

Feb 9: Final Kilcummin (Kerry) 5-13 St. Enda's (Antrim) 2-9

Junior Football

20 Jan: Easkey (Sligo) 1-8 Red Hugh's (Donegal) 0-9
20 Jan: Beaufort (Kerry) 0-12 Young Ireland's (Louth) 0-10

Feb 9: Final Beaufort (Kerry) 3-17 Easkey (Sligo) 0-5

Senior Hurling

9 Feb: St. Thomas's (Galway) 0-18 Ruairí Óg, Cushendall (Antrim) 2-11
9 Feb: Ballyhale Shamrocks (Kilkenny) 1-15 Ballygunner (Waterford) 0-13

March 17: Final Ballyhale Shamrocks (Kilkenny) 2-28 St. Thomas's (Galway) 2-11

Intermediate Hurling

19 Jan: Charleville (Cork) 1-15 Graigue-Ballycallan (Kilkenny) 1-13
20 Jan: Oramor-Marree (Galway) 1-13 St. Galls (Antrim) 2-4

Feb 10: Final Oramor-Marree (Galway) 2-18 Charleville (Cork) 1-15

Junior Hurling

20 Jan: Castleblayney Faughs (Monaghan) 1-8 St. Mary's Kiltoghert (Leitrim) 0-10
20 Jan: Dunnamaggin (Kilkenny) 0-23 Cloughduv (Cork) 2-16

Feb 10: Final Dunnamaggin (Kilkenny) 1-17 Castleblayney Faughs (Monaghan) 1-13