GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: skeog on September 22, 2020, 06:08:26 PM
County looking unlikely imo.

There was never going to be an Inter-county Championship over the winter.  The GAA would never be able to fund such a venture.

armaghniac

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2020, 08:08:55 PM

There was never going to be an Inter-county Championship over the winter.  The GAA would never be able to fund such a venture.

The government are giving them some money to keep going, the Dublin government that is, I expect the 6 counties will give them sfa.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Quote from: armaghniac on September 22, 2020, 09:04:39 PM

The government are giving them some money to keep going, the Dublin government that is, I expect the 6 counties will give them sfa.

Would some money be enough?

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2020, 09:45:15 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 22, 2020, 09:04:39 PM

Would some money be enough?
€40m I believe
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Noted for future reference

armaghniac

Some sporting bodies don't mess around
In the N.F.L., which so far has avoided cancelling any games, three head coaches have been fined for not wearing masks on the sidelines during games on Sunday, a league source, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed.

Pete Carroll of the Seattle Seahawks, Vic Fangio of the Denver Broncos and Kyle Shanahan of the San Francisco 49ers were each fined $100,000, with an additional $250,000 fine levied against their respective teams.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: armaghniac on September 23, 2020, 01:56:07 AM
In the N.F.L., which so far has avoided cancelling any games, three head coaches have been fined for not wearing masks on the sidelines during games on Sunday, a league source, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed.

Pete Carroll of the Seattle Seahawks, Vic Fangio of the Denver Broncos and Kyle Shanahan of the San Francisco 49ers were each fined $100,000, with an additional $250,000 fine levied against their respective teams.

AFL taking a similar stance. Due to the outbreak in Victoria, the AFL has received concessions for the teams to live in Queesnland in hubs or bubbles. This requires them to isolate from the general public, although I believe they are allowed some limited contact (shop for essential groceries, go for a walk etc but no hanging around).

Breaches have been met with fines of up to $100k, which is pretty severe given the relative paucity of the AFL compared to NFL

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-31/coronavirus-afl-fines-four-clubs-for-protocol-breaches/12513618
https://www.afl.com.au/news/495991/kicked-out-of-queensland-10-match-ban-for-tiger-pair-asked-to-pay-huge-fine
Hasta la victoria siempre

Eire90

Breaking News Donegal County Final Postponed

armaghniac

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 23, 2020, 08:52:24 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 23, 2020, 01:56:07 AM

AFL taking a similar stance. Due to the outbreak in Victoria, the AFL has received concessions for the teams to live in Queesnland in hubs or bubbles. This requires them to isolate from the general public, although I believe they are allowed some limited contact (shop for essential groceries, go for a walk etc but no hanging around).

Breaches have been met with fines of up to $100k, which is pretty severe given the relative paucity of the AFL compared to NFL

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-31/coronavirus-afl-fines-four-clubs-for-protocol-breaches/12513618
https://www.afl.com.au/news/495991/kicked-out-of-queensland-10-match-ban-for-tiger-pair-asked-to-pay-huge-fine

But one of the articles you linked stated that the AFL Players Association has said the club can't penalise the duo beyond the League's 10-game ban, under the terms agreed between the AFL and the players' union. So the club gets fined and the players get a few weeks off.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

How expensive is running 40 games in smaller grounds?

I do not for a second accept that the FAI, who are broke, can run the LoI with no crowds and still pay players but a knockout cup is beyond the GAA.

johnnycool

I could never see the point in playing the intercounty games behind closed doors in the first place which made me think that the reason the clubs were promoted first was that there was a hope that this would all be over or controlled in time for the IC season to take place in October.

That's not going to be the case so (apart from the risk to the players and officials) is there a chance that we could see the IC season happen behind closed doors but with a PPV option for fans?

Is this too big of a step for some, but considering the relative success of the club games being made available online is this an option?

thewobbler

Why not Johnny?

Of course it won't have the same atmosphere, but it still provides the competition that elite players yearn for.

And I'd expect that with a whitewash TV and streaming service, and a truncated schedule (why not play Weds / Sun, and put an end to weeks of mid-season training?),  it wouldn't be much worse off than cost neutral.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on September 23, 2020, 12:35:37 PM
Why not Johnny?

Of course it won't have the same atmosphere, but it still provides the competition that elite players yearn for.

And I'd expect that with a whitewash TV and streaming service, and a truncated schedule (why not play Weds / Sun, and put an end to weeks of mid-season training?),  it wouldn't be much worse off than cost neutral.

I'd be all on for it, but considering the furore by those for their own particular reasons gurning about Bridie and Hughie in the wiles of Connemara not having access when Sky Sports put some games behind a paywall would Croke Park be a bit retiscent?

Baile Brigín 2

Think about the implications of not playing the championship. Think of the implications of not playing it to save a few quid.