Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 06, 2020, 04:06:24 PM
Huge result for Bredagh in the SHC, beating Ballycran 2-17 to 0-17. Bredagh will still finish bottom of the group but it is their first ever senior championship win over an Ards club. It will take a pretty mature poster to confirm the last time any non Ards team won a championship match - it might be Kilclief but it must be many decades ago.

It's the first in my lifetime, I'd say you'd need to go back to the sixties and maybe before for the last non ards winner.

Bredagh had strong minor teams for the last few years and always had quality hurlers coming through the ranks before that.

We drew in normal time with them and managed the point victory in extra time two weeks ago, so they knew they had it in them.

Hope they stick at senior level as it's a far more interesting championship with them in it.

Alas we couldn't avail of the opportunity to take advantage of Ballycrans demise and they still go through to the final against hot favourites Portaferry who beat us yesterday evening. Our lads have only their lack of discipline to blame.

upandwin

What a game last night...don't know if t's due to the coverage and the amount of games we are all getting to watch but I've thoroughly enjoyed the championship this year...

As a neutral I couldn't have asked for better value for £6...PaircTV must be commended on the sterling job they're doing atm, what a brilliant service this has been during a pretty s**t year all in all.

Clonduff will be sick, had another massive opportunity to beat CPN after going 7/8pts up at one point. Even in the second half, they were alays 4/5pts up until the last ten mins. Absolutely crazy that they can't see these games out...I feel for them because they're good lads with real heart and desire and fear absolutely no one...Thought Darren O'Hagan was spectacular throughout but Barry was far far too Wasteful, not like him at all. Big Arthur is always a handful and kicked some lovely scores and took his goal chance really well...some leap. They have to think though it wasn't last night that was their undoing because they were underdogs going in to that game but more so the Bryansford game that they threw away...I don't know what the problem is but they seem to go ahead and then retreat which you don't see the other big teams doing, you wouldn't see Burren or Kilcoo do that too often and it seems a common theme for the yellows. They should have beaten Kilcoo in the semi final last year and never believed they could win it that night. Kilcoo were there for the taking but Clonduff didn't put the foot down after their second goal, would like to see them take it to the next level but can't put my finger on what they need to do to achieve that.

On Warrenpoint, they were far from their best and look a different team with John Boyle not playing...some lift for them and the crowd when he came on...just marshalled the whole defence and made things tick for the point and controlled the tempo of the last 15mins (His score in extra time was unreal). I've seen so much of Warrenpoint last few years and he's been the standout performer for me. That being said, last night won't be good enough to beat the Magpies again but maybe a hard game like that will stand by them. One thing I will say is they have serious metal which couldn't be said about a lot of point teams in the past, they never know when they are beaten and showed serious character again last night so fair play to them.

Penalty shootouts are getting mixed reactions across the country but have to say I really enjoy them, think they're a class way to decide a game for the neutral. Maybe not good for the nerves for both sets of supporters last night but from where I was sitting, I could've watched a shootout all night lol

Ford to win by 4/ tonight I think. Anyone know what's happening with RGU? Are they refusing to play relegation play off?

elk

Kilcoo in total control thought the score line flattered Rostrevor. Some posters blaming the ref, clonduff have no one to blame but themselves that point defence was wide open for more goals and they stopped pushing forward when they had 3 goals. Kilcoo will be quite happy with what they saw last night and be confident of retaining the cup.

befair

Bryansford totally imploding tonight. Clonduff hammer Carryduff, Bryansford beat Clonduff, Carryduff hammer Bryansford; makes sense?

SHEEDY

Warrenpoint v kilcoo. ballyholland v carryduff in semis.
nil satis nisi optimum

thebar

Carryduff look like they could become a decent outfit over the next few years...they are young and if they stick at it with a few additions will give most there fill of it. Totally deserved to win that match tonight and I like the fact they love a goal..would have been nice to see the 70m effort roll into the net when Reid was playing out the field instead of doing his job (not blaming the goalkeeper - stupid tactic I don't like bring the goalie into the middle of the park). Bryansford were poor all over and very disappointing - 1 player missing for them was David McKibben? injured? Wouldn't have won it with him but would have helped. Congrats Carryduff - potential Championship Final with Ballyholland now in semi final.

Smurfy123

Clonduff completely outplayed Bryansford for 45 minutes. The Ford have went back a lot over the years and are a pale shadow of the teams they used to have.
Some draws tonight. One of the big 2 going out. Some twists yet I would say
Where does Poacher and co go from here?

PTC

Quote from: thebar on September 07, 2020, 09:31:24 PM
Carryduff look like they could become a decent outfit over the next few years...they are young and if they stick at it with a few additions will give most there fill of it. Totally deserved to win that match tonight and I like the fact they love a goal..would have been nice to see the 70m effort roll into the net when Reid was playing out the field instead of doing his job (not blaming the goalkeeper - stupid tactic I don't like bring the goalie into the middle of the park). Bryansford were poor all over and very disappointing - 1 player missing for them was David McKibben? injured? Wouldn't have won it with him but would have helped. Congrats Carryduff - potential Championship Final with Ballyholland now in semi final.
Mckibben doesn't get on with the management team. heard he was training with the stone

thebar

Quote from: PTC on September 07, 2020, 09:51:38 PM
Quote from: thebar on September 07, 2020, 09:31:24 PM
Mckibben doesn't get on with the management team. heard he was training with the stone
Didn't realise that some miss. I think it about time someone went up to the stone and looked him back!

upandwin

Think if you asked most decent lads to play for that management team they'd struggle...can't for the life of me understand The Ford selling their soul to bring those coaches on board...ford were in my opinion of the few pure footballing teams left in Down, it's a pity now that all teams seem to be happy doing whatever it takes as long as it means winning matches, even if that meant grinding out a 0-4 to 0-03 win.

Ballyholland to beat Carryduff for me but that'll be a seriously tight game...CPN-Kilcoo to go to penalties :)

Sandstorm

Downjim, any truth in the rumour that 4 Burren players got suspended for their behaviour after their exit from the championship?

Mourne Red

Quote from: Sandstorm on September 08, 2020, 12:02:19 PM
Downjim, any truth in the rumour that 4 Burren players got suspended for their behaviour after their exit from the championship?

If that's the case then why haven't Kilcoo players been suspended all caught on camera.

Is the season over for clubs after exiting Championship? Seems to be a few clubs have broke off for the season - I know there is a league game or 2 remaining but there just friendlies for clubs with no chance of winning the league

Frankie123

I see Leitrim have Covid 19 cases and wish them speedy recovery.  They do not have to isolate and can play their semifinal this weekend .  How does this differ from the RGU position  earlier when the RGU were forced out of the championship?   Good luck to Liatroim but could someone explain please?

Frankie123

Apologies for misnaming Liatroim as it's Liatroim Gaels.  I still ask the question though, how can this club continue as usual?

lfdown2

Quote from: Frankie123 on September 08, 2020, 02:27:17 PM
Apologies for misnaming Liatroim as it's Liatroim Gaels.  I still ask the question though, how can this club continue as usual?

Some clown. For clarity, this is not related to Liatroim Fontenoys, but a club in county Leitrim.

I would say your query would be best directed to Connacht GAA.