Tom Cunniffe speaks...

Started by Jinxy, December 07, 2016, 09:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

ballinaman

You've got to admire the bravery of Tom, dig from New York 12 months after the fact.
Nonsense.

Jinxy

What was so bad about the Holmes & Connelly regime though?
I think it's reasonable enough for Cunniffe to suggest that maybe the issues could have been worked out without going straight for the nuclear option.

Tubberman

Quote from: Jinxy on December 07, 2016, 10:37:08 AM
I think it's reasonable enough for Cunniffe to suggest that maybe the issues could have been worked out without going straight for the nuclear option.

None of us were inside the camp so we don't know.
The players made their decision (including Tom Cunniffe), and I would trust their judgement on that one - they did it out of a desire to better their chances of winning the AI. It's done and dusted for the past year, the best that can be said is at least Cunniffe said it in December during the off-season.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jinxy

Were the team better in 2015 or 2016 in your opinion?
Or did the change in management have a negligible effect.

gammysolo

if Leroy stuck ball over when 5 points up they were on way to victory. Having said that Rochford is a way better manager

Tubberman

Quote from: Jinxy on December 07, 2016, 10:56:52 AM

Tactically better in 2016 anyway, although they didn't seem to be playing any better individually (which could be a worry).
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

seafoid

They don't have anyone that can kick a point off the weak foot.
They should work on that.

Barney McAleenan talking to Mickey Linden about 4 mins 30 in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM05noFIJ1g 

Mickey scored a point off his weak side when they put Meath to the sword in 1991.

If this was fixed years ago Mayo might have won a few all Irelands recently
The Dubs are only marginally better than them
Ochón agus ochón ó

sid waddell

As an outsider looking in, my view is that for the vast majority of 2016, Mayo weren't a better team than they were in 2015 and were probably worse.

The difference is that in 2016 they got a handier draw and built up momentum in the back door. They got Tipperary in the semi-final in 2016 which was far easier than having to play Dublin at that stage in 2015.

The only really comparable pre-All-Ireland final games were the quarter-finals against Donegal in 2015 and Tyrone in 2016. Mayo made light work of Donegal but probably should have lost to Tyrone, for once they got lucky in a big game.

Holmes and Connelly were the ones to introduce a sweeper, not Rochford. My recollection is that Barry Moran played that role against Donegal in 2015 and David Drake played the role against Dublin in the 2015 draw.

Of course you can also compare how Mayo did against Dublin in the two 2015 semi-finals as against the two 2016 finals.

Here there isn't as much of a difference as people think. Mayo could easily have won any of those four games, but didn't win any.

The stats from the 2015 draw show Mayo had the chances to win it. Some may say they had to mount a spectacular late comeback to draw, but Dublin being seven points up in the first place was a false scoreline. Dublin got a penalty which shouldn't have been awarded (the foul was outside the penalty area) and Mayo threw away a load of chances in the third quarter when they gap was a very narrow one. And really they should have pushed on and killed Dublin off when they got level, but seemed happier to just not lose the game rather than go balls out for the win.

A similar story to when they got level with seven minutes to go in the 2016 drawn final, really.

In the 2015 replay they were four points up with 15 minutes of normal time left. That's a winning position and a better one than any they've ever had against a Jim Gavin-managed Dublin team. And then the red mist descended on them. One hates to blame personal errors, but personal errors by the same player had a huge impact on both the 2015 and 2016 replay results.

One would also have to say that the 2015 Dublin team were better than the 2016 version.

So I don't see a huge difference in Mayo's performances against Dublin in 2016 compared to what they produced in 2015, really.

The main difference is that the sweeper system seemed a bit more rehearsed and a bit more effective this year. But it still didn't stop Cormac Costello scoring all those points.

Jinxy

Quote from: Tubberman on December 07, 2016, 11:21:58 AM

Tactically better in 2016 anyway, although they didn't seem to be playing any better individually (which could be a worry).

I've heard this a lot and I'm not sure what evidence there is to support the claim.
As was said above re the handy draw, getting Tipp in a semi-final is as close to a bye into the final you're going to get in this day and age.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: gammysolo on December 07, 2016, 11:10:55 AM

if Leroy stuck ball over when 5 points up they were on way to victory. Having said that Rochford is a way better manager

That was at the start of the second half, not the turning point despite the common refrain.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on December 07, 2016, 11:39:21 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 07, 2016, 11:21:58 AM

I've heard this a lot and I'm not sure what evidence there is to support the claim.
As was said above re the handy draw, getting Tipp in a semi-final is as close to a bye into the final you're going to get in this day and age.
Unbelievable arrogance.
Mayo had no choice once they lost to Galway.

I would say a lot of people in the county were ready to give up after that match. The lads here were already emotionally exhausted in 2014.

gammysolo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 07, 2016, 11:56:37 AM
Quote from: gammysolo on December 07, 2016, 11:10:55 AM

That was at the start of the second half, not the turning point despite the common refrain.

Was a good 10-15 minutes into second half. Physiologically it would have lifted Mayo even more. James McCarthy scored a minute later which was the turning point in game. Hennelly not tying his laces didnt help either for first goal. If Mayo got to final and lost would they still called for H&C to step down?

mayo.mick

Is this "interview" just a rehash (by that hack) of things said last year
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Jinxy

"I would never do anything to upset things but I just want to be fair to Pat and Noel. They went through a lot in the last year and they shouldn't have had to," said Cunniffe.