League of Ireland-Dublin Teams

Started by whitey, May 20, 2024, 05:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Can someone enlighten me as to the nuances/differences between all the different LOI Clubs in the Dublin area

Are their allegiances specific to particular professions or geographical areas?

We're there fewer clubs at one time that subsequently split?

Are some clubs more working class than others?

Is there crossover between Rugby/GAA and particular clubs

What are the biggest rivalries?

That sort of thing

Thanks

jcpen

Used to follow Shels when I lived in Dublin,lived beside Tolka Park so went to games.
Bohs/Shamrock Rovers probably biggest rivals both on and off the pitch.
NEUTRAL

J70

I remember the "Keep Rovers at Milltown" movement in the late 80s when the owners sold the stadium out from under the club to property developers. They floated around for years after that before they ended up in Tallaght.

I think Shelbourne were originally out in Ringsend, but moved to Tolka Park after Home Farm absorbed Drumcondra and eventually left Tolka before finally going back to amateur and youth football.

bennydorano

I'd be interested to find some of this out myself. I've a mate from Ballymun who is a big Bohemians fan and their (or his anyway) mortal enemy / derby is St Patrick's Athletic. Looking at Google maps that's  slightly northside v inchinore.

Edit, reading a bit seems Bohs v Rovers is 'the" derby.

red hander

Bohs are membership owned club, which is closed at moment I believe as it's fully subscribed, which is brilliant, but future growth depends on expanding Dalymount. If membership reopened, would be interested in checking that out. Very community centred and supportive of Palestine and refugees. Produced third shirt last year to raise money for kids in Gaza and was happy to buy it direct from club. Be my favourite LoI club, though season ticket holder at Cliftonville, which has closer fan links with Rovers.