Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 31, 2020, 12:06:59 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 31, 2020, 11:44:48 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 31, 2020, 11:28:12 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 31, 2020, 11:17:07 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51323053

And so it continues.
Sweet Jesus
What continues?

Nepotism.
She will become unemployed today. Employed again tomorrow. At one time her husband was a non elected SPAD on 90k. She is now set to become a non elected MLA.

Raymond was sorted with second home in Donegal and wee nest egg in last few years. There will be an unofficial pension there for him anyhow.

Is this not just standard Co-opting that all parties including the SDLP use?

It does happen across a lot of parties. But I think SF are senior hurling in this respect. They have Derry City tied up in terms of funded jobs etc. But still cant win the seat. That tells you what people here think of their approach.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: AFM on January 31, 2020, 02:11:36 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 31, 2020, 01:55:33 PM
f**k me you'd have thought someone would have the foresight to shuffle her off when the chance was there.

f**king dickhead of the highest order there is no way she helps things in Stormont!!

;D

Agreed. Like a Banshee. Her "Tiocfaidh ár lá" and "You can shove" stuff was not only cringe worthy but most counterproductive in terms of getting an UI in which we can all be happy with

trueblue1234

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 31, 2020, 02:11:48 PM

And so it continues.
Sweet Jesus
What continues?

Nepotism.
She will become unemployed today. Employed again tomorrow. At one time her husband was a non elected SPAD on 90k. She is now set to become a non elected MLA.

Raymond was sorted with second home in Donegal and wee nest egg in last few years. There will be an unofficial pension there for him anyhow.

It does happen across a lot of parties. But I think SF are senior hurling in this respect. They have Derry City tied up in terms of funded jobs etc. But still cant win the seat. That tells you what people here think of their approach.

No parties in a position to preach about co-opting.

For what it's worth I completely disagree with co-opting. The seat shouldn't belong to a party, but rather to the candidate. And if the candidate steps down, it should be a re-vote. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 31, 2020, 02:20:28 PM

And so it continues.
Sweet Jesus
What continues?

Nepotism.

For what it's worth I completely disagree with co-opting. The seat shouldn't belong to a party, but rather to the candidate. And if the candidate steps down, it should be a re-vote.

Agreed. In fact we should have had an election for all the seats at Stormont

Evil Genius

Quote from: screenexile on January 31, 2020, 01:55:33 PM
there is no way she helps things in Stormont!!

Now, now, screenexile. Have you forgotten all the great work she did (still does?) as SF's "Unionist Outreach Officer" (or whatever the title was)?

I mean, no better person for bringing Unionists round to SF's vision of a future Ireland, and our place in it:

https://irishpeaceprocess.blog/2019/05/20/martina-anderson-the-ira-and-her-disappeared-victims/
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Aye, that'll be his War Pension.

Only question is, which one, his IRA pension, or his British one?
https://irishpeaceprocess.blog/2020/01/29/raymond-mccartney-eamonn-macdermott-the-murder-of-detective-constable-patrick-mcnulty/

Or maybe he was "doing the double"?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

RedHand88

Very very interesting poll released at midnight there by the Times. SF in second place.
Will they regret not running more candidates?

armaghniac

The polls will overstate SF. The type of voter who believes that someone else should pay for everything also tend to think that someone else should go out and vote.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

Quote from: armaghniac on February 01, 2020, 01:24:30 AM
The polls will overstate SF. The type of voter who believes that someone else should pay for everything also tend to think that someone else should go out and vote.

I think it'lll be an interesting election - FF wrecked the country and FG had their chance but a lot of people seem to be thinking that they've done nothing nothing about the homeless criss, health service and lack of house building. 

Problem is there's quite a few left wing parties and smaller leaning left wing independents.  Some of the voting papers will have 15 or 16 names on them.  SF are always overstated in polls but coming form where they were at 6mths ago, they'll be happy.

Will they get the transfers for the finals seats though to add to their numbers?  That's the big question.

I wouldn't be taking any lectures from the economic policies of FF and FG - look at the homless crisis and health service.  Look at their 'abilty' to manage the new children's hospital..lol...great bit of economics there!  The overspend would build some houses or cut the number of people on hospital trolleys.

The country bailed out the banks but the banks pay very little back to what they should in terms of their profits.  A f***ing to people who has had austerity forced on them since the crash.  Make the banks pay what they should - do you disagree with this?

Should the big corporate outfits pay more also?  Or should it be just the ordinary 5/8ths who should have to pay tax and the draconian USC? 

Applesisapples

Martina Anderson grates with me. she is the type of republican that puts me off SF at times. I can't stand the jingoist nonsense. Bizarrely on the are occasion she has made cogent arguments they have resonated. unfortunately though she could well be the death knell of SF in Derry.

marty34

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 01, 2020, 01:32:33 PM
Martina Anderson grates with me. she is the type of republican that puts me off SF at times. I can't stand the jingoist nonsense. Bizarrely on the are occasion she has made cogent arguments they have resonated. unfortunately though she could well be the death knell of SF in Derry.

Yeah, poor candidate. Did ok in Europe but seriously hard to listen to.  Drops too many clangers.

trailer

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 31, 2020, 02:20:28 PM

And so it continues.
Sweet Jesus
What continues?

Nepotism.

How do you do this in multi seat constituencies?
It's by no means ideal but it is the only way. Although I think people have an issue as it's used to reintroduce candidates who have lost their seat in another election and can be seen as jobs for the loyal boys and girls.

five points

Quote from: trailer on February 03, 2020, 01:07:40 PM

It's by no means ideal but it is the only way. Although I think people have an issue as it's used to reintroduce candidates who have lost their seat in another election and can be seen as jobs for the loyal boys and girls.

If a TD dies, steps down, or moves on, even a multi seat constituency, there is a by-election to fill the vacancy.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: five points on February 03, 2020, 02:23:30 PM

If a TD dies, steps down, or moves on, even a multi seat constituency, there is a by-election to fill the vacancy.

Rightly so. Martina Anderson would not have got her seat in Derry if there was an election in the last month

LeoMc

Quote from: five points on February 03, 2020, 02:23:30 PM

In practice how would that work? Are all other seats automatically vacated as well?
For example, if we had a 4 seat constituency where FG got 2 seats (49.5%), FF got 1 seat (27.2%), SF got 1 seat (16.2%) and Labour 0 seats (7.1%) and the SF member had to step down or resign how would a new election work, highest vote share (FG) or would all 4 seats need to be re-filled?