Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: general_lee on December 21, 2015, 02:02:41 PM
To be honest, I'd be more concerned about the environmental impact than any monetary loss to the taxman, so on that basis yes.

The monetary loss to the taxman has to be made up by the other taxpayers, you realise that?
It's not "the taxman" that is being ripped off, it's the rest of us taxpayers.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

general_lee

Quote from: Tubberman on December 21, 2015, 02:08:10 PM
To be honest, I'd be more concerned about the environmental impact than any monetary loss to the taxman, so on that basis yes.

The monetary loss to the taxman has to be made up by the other taxpayers, you realise that?
Have you any idea how much fuel is taxed to start off with?

Tubberman

Quote from: general_lee on December 21, 2015, 02:10:06 PM

I have an idea alright. I don't see how that changes my point above.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

general_lee

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 21, 2015, 02:07:32 PM

I'm more concerned about the societal impact that common criminals being the face of the Republican movement and their apparent free hand has.
Well there is also that, free hand though? Sure the Don has just been found guilty before a jury-less court.

general_lee

Quote from: Tubberman on December 21, 2015, 02:13:27 PM
Quote from: general_lee on December 21, 2015, 02:10:06 PM

I have an idea alright. I don't see how that changes my point above.
I would respectfully suggest that the activities of fuel launderers along the irish border does not impact tax imposed on fuel in the UK. Or Ireland.

Rossfan

The decent people would either get better public services or have to pay less tax if the border scumbags were put out of business.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

general_lee

Quote from: Rossfan on December 21, 2015, 05:14:38 PM
The decent people would either get better public services or have to pay less tax if the border scumbags were put out of business.
If you'd ever set foot anywhere near the border you'd know that it's economically desolate on both sides. And that isn't anything to do with a few cowboys selling dodgy diesel either.

Rossfan

An awful lot of Co Roscommon and other parts of Connacht are economically desolate but we didn't turn to crime.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on December 21, 2015, 07:12:45 PM

An awful lot of Co Roscommon and other parts of Connacht are economically desolate but we didn't turn to crime.

Why are you called sheep stealers so.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on December 21, 2015, 07:25:39 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 21, 2015, 07:12:45 PM

Why are you called sheep stealers so.
Have no idea as naturally enough we didn't invent that name.
Some say it was from famine times. Some herrin chokers say that when they'd be walking sheep to the fair in Ros town some of the sheep would "vanish" in the dark.

Anyway I see there was a "Task Force" launched in Farmleigh today to target crime in the Border badlands.
Meanwhile statistics on Cards injuries shows Roscommon is the safest Garda Division.

Orior

The best thing that could happen Sinn Fein is for Gerry to retire.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laceer

Quote from: Orior on December 21, 2015, 09:43:46 PM
The best thing that could happen Sinn Fein is for Gerry to retire.

Politics on this island will not progress until all politicians who lived through and "participated" in the troubles retire. Too much bitterness and resentment is harboured on all sides.

Applesisapples

It's hard to know where to start answering some of the points made, but in no particular order:
Slab Murphy has been found guilty of tax evasion and must pay the price imo. Adams and McGuinness are entitled to laude his contribution to the peace process but that does not take away from his illegal activity. They would be best to say nothing again imo.
I never fail to be taken aback by the hypocrisy of some posters who view the IRA campaign of the '70's and '80's as some how different from the activities of the old IRA in the early years of the last century. There is no difference. Catholics were discriminated against in the North, left in poverty denied houses and jobs some took up protest and were brutalised by the Unionist Government and the RUC some took up arms. Now you can debate the rights and wrongs of this situation but if you do so you must apply some balance. Rossfan's arguments are lost in the vehemence of his totally anti SF agenda and whitewashing of history. As with all conflicts bad things were done and not just by the Provos and not just in the '70's and '80's. I recommend you read Bonfires on the Hillsides by the late James Kelly, it will open some eyes here that are welded shut. If Slab rightly goes down so to must the assorted bankers and charlatans who collapsed the Irish economy with there brown bags and gombeenism. 

Rossfan

Where exactly did I "whitewash history" ????
The war ended formally with the referendum in 1998.
Ex participants in the war should have become law abiding citizens then.
That includes Slab, Northern Bank robbers etc.SF should have made it clear internally that such behaviour was not on instead of praising the criminals.
Until they do they can forget about ruling in the 26 Cos.

heffo

Jesus it's been a bad week for the Shinners.