Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Gerry Kelly suing over Police Land Rover incident

Sinn Féin's Gerry Kelly is taking legal action against the chief constable over an incident where he was carried on the bonnet of a police Land Rover.

The incident in Carrick Hill last June followed the loyalist Tour of the North parade in Belfast

Sinn Féin said: "Gerry Kelly, in common with any other citizen, is entitled to access the courts when he believes he has been wronged."

Mr Kelly is taking a civil case against Matt Baggott.

A police officer has accepted a formal reprimand for his part in the incident.

In January, the MLA received the same sanction for clinging to the vehicle while attempting to stop it.

A person refusing to accept the "informed warning" can be prosecuted.

The Police Federation said the officer's warning was "unjustified".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26328299

I don't know what he hopes to achieve from this.

orangeman

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 24, 2014, 07:38:27 PM

Sinn Féin's Gerry Kelly is taking legal action against the chief constable over an incident where he was carried on the bonnet of a police Land Rover.

The incident in Carrick Hill last June followed the loyalist Tour of the North parade in Belfast

Sinn Féin said: "Gerry Kelly, in common with any other citizen, is entitled to access the courts when he believes he has been wronged."

In January, the MLA received the same sanction for clinging to the vehicle while attempting to stop it.

Maybe get a few quid out of it or whatever.

Worth a try. He'd legal aid too seeing as he is on minimum wage despite the perks.

give her dixie

Gerry is just looking for an excuse to get to meet up with his fellow policing board members ......................
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

glens abu

Quote from: give her dixie on February 25, 2014, 12:42:36 AM
Gerry is just looking for an excuse to get to meet up with his fellow policing board members ......................

;D ;D Everyone a gem Dixie,did it take you long to think that one up or is that the latest big joke going around the Cappagh area.Wise up

Maguire01

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2014, 12:32:49 AM

Worth a try. He'd legal aid too seeing as he is on minimum wage despite the perks.
£45K isn't minimum wage, so we're unlikely to be paying for his legal representation. But we'll be footing the bill if he's successful,

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 26, 2014, 07:18:54 AM
Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2014, 12:32:49 AM

£45K isn't minimum wage, so we're unlikely to be paying for his legal representation. But we'll be footing the bill if he's successful,
No sh*t. He's exercising his rights.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Absolutely, and i'd defend his right to do so. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Rights and responsibilities and all that.

glens abu

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 26, 2014, 09:17:57 AM
Absolutely, and i'd defend his right to do so. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Rights and responsibilities and all that.

dont rock the boat is the stoops way of thinking,but he is entitled to sue and so he should.

Nally Stand

Maybe it is the right thing to do. That's not for you to decide.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 26, 2014, 09:38:29 AM
Maybe it is the right thing to do. That's not for you to decide.
I didn't present my post as fact. It's a subjective point, surely?

Maguire01

Does anyone actually know the reason why he's suing? I'm no legal expert, so correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the point of taking civil action to seek redress? If so, redress for what? Was there an injury? A financial loss?

Maguire01

Quote from: glens abu on February 26, 2014, 09:21:09 AM

dont rock the boat is the stoops way of thinking,but he is entitled to sue and so he should.
Some things are worth rocking the boat for. It may well be academic now as it's quite possible the boat is about to capsize.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: glens abu on February 26, 2014, 09:21:09 AM

Sue for what? I nearly got clipped crossing the road a few weeks ago. Can I claim off the driver for nearly being injured?

Maguire01

So, apparently Gerry Kelly has dropped his civil action.

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once