Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 24, 2013, 02:10:28 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 23, 2013, 10:53:58 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 23, 2013, 09:23:15 PM
Btw my usage of 'state' is about 'an area'/entity/body of land.

Qed it doesn't have to refer to politics.
Really? What dictionary definition are you using? My understanding is that the word state in the context of an area or land has to be in relation to politics / government.

There are of course other uses of the word, but in the context of territory, it's political.
I'll repost again

State can mean and be used in many things
Eg
State of mind
State of play
In an awful state

I think you are misinterpreting my context. thats all.
I don't know why you're reposting it. And i'm not misinterpreting your context at all - if the context is territory, then 'state' is a political term. It's that simple. State can indeed mean many things, but in terms of territory, it's political.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 24, 2013, 06:03:56 PM

Really? What dictionary definition are you using? My understanding is that the word state in the context of an area or land has to be in relation to politics / government.

There are of course other uses of the word, but in the context of territory, it's political.
I'll repost again

Eg
State of mind
State of play
In an awful state

I don't know why you're reposting it. And i'm not misinterpreting your context at all - if the context is territory, then 'state' is a political term. It's that simple. State can indeed mean many things, but in terms of territory, it's political.
i'm afraid we will disagree on that one Lord Litchfield!
context and all that.
it can be used to describe an area!

in the very least ,artistic license and all that- I'd have thought youd appreciate that!
Ciao baby!
;)

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 24, 2013, 08:16:08 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 24, 2013, 06:03:56 PM

I'll repost again

Eg
State of mind
State of play
In an awful state

i'm afraid we will disagree on that one Lord Litchfield!
context and all that.
it can be used to describe an area!

in the very least ,artistic license and all that- I'd have thought youd appreciate that!
Ciao baby!
;)
Of course it can. When it's in reference to a political unit.
Bye.

lynchbhoy

so when folk refer to the bog of allen state or south east counties state they are referring to political affiliations!
interesting.

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 24, 2013, 09:13:10 PM
so when folk refer to the bog of allen state or south east counties state they are referring to political affiliations!
interesting.
Elaborate on how they would use that reference.

lynchbhoy

Have you never heard people referring to areas using the word state?
Eg
The sperrins state
North western state
North eastern state
Allen state ( abrieviated version of big of Allen state) etc

You may not like the use age of the word as you obv believe that it can only be utilized to identify a political area, but it is used in a different context , hence my original usage.

Irrespective, I don't think anyone can dictate on how to use words or terminology either!
I thought that you with your arty leanings and knowledge of artistic licence would be the last person to get all nazi fascist on that!
Chill out man!

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 24, 2013, 10:22:20 PM
Eg
The sperrins state
North western state
North eastern state

You may not like the use age of the word as you obv believe that it can only be utilized to identify a political area, but it is used in a different context , hence my original usage.

Irrespective, I don't think anyone can dictate on how to use words or terminology either!
I thought that you with your arty leanings and knowledge of artistic licence would be the last person to get all nazi fascist on that!
Chill out man!
I've never heard of any of those. And neither has google apparently - go on, give it a go.

In terms of 'dictating' how words and terminology is used - well if it wasn't defined then language wouldn't work.

And at last, an appearance from Godwin.

lynchbhoy

Grand , I'll leave it up to you to travel around the country and stop the natives from using dialet words and phrases etc that are not in google!!
Ffs

Seems that dialect has been working well for centuries in this country.
So nope, you can't dictate what and how to say things to people.
Jeez yer turning into a bullying nordie - yer too long up there!!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 24, 2013, 10:39:29 PM
Eg
The sperrins state
North western state
North eastern state

Chill out man!
I've never heard of any of those. And neither has google apparently - go on, give it a go.

In terms of 'dictating' how words and terminology is used - well if it wasn't defined then language wouldn't work.

And at last, an appearance from Godwin.

I have never heard the word used in that context.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 24, 2013, 11:08:36 PM
Grand , I'll leave it up to you to travel around the country and stop the natives from using dialet words and phrases etc that are not in google!!
Ffs

Seems that dialect has been working well for centuries in this country.
So nope, you can't dictate what and how to say things to people.
Jeez yer turning into a bullying nordie - yer too long up there!!
Stick to the ball. My point with google is that if the words were used like that, they'd appear in a search. Surely you could find some example of their use.

Of course if it's just a handful of people using the wrong word in the wrong place...

lynchbhoy

The ball- holy Daniel its not me that's refusing dialect usaeg and being illogical- I mean using google to look up irish words to determine their usage- are you serious?!?!

I'll get onto google and tell them that they are missing at least a few hundred words in common use in Ireland - such as fisic, cutty, yok etc etc

... Yes, people in you opinion are using the wrong word in the wrong place. I only hope you are saying that in jest !

deiseach

interesting.

I'm curious as well as to why would anyone say "the Bog of Allen state". It'd be like saying "the United States state".

lynchbhoy

Quote from: deiseach on April 25, 2013, 09:08:48 AM
interesting.

I'm curious as well as to why would anyone say "the Bog of Allen state". It'd be like saying "the United States state".
lads I knew in college would refer to 'the allen state' the area .
I was on a 7 a side team in the college that were called 'Allen state' and only people that were living adjacent to the area (the bog of Allen) were let play on it.
I was on the side as where I lived was just about on the periphery of it.
Why - they just do - it does encompass multi counties so I can see why.

I'd only ever heard people up in the north Derry /Sperrin region using this termiology before that, but have heard wexfordians utter it since.

Hardy

Eg
The sperrins state
North western state
North eastern state

In a word, no.

deiseach

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 25, 2013, 10:47:48 AM
Quote from: deiseach on April 25, 2013, 09:08:48 AM
interesting.

lads I knew in college would refer to 'the allen state' the area .
I was on a 7 a side team in the college that were called 'Allen state' and only people that were living adjacent to the area (the bog of Allen) were let play on it.
I was on the side as where I lived was just about on the periphery of it.
Why - they just do - it does encompass multi counties so I can see why.

I'd only ever heard people up in the north Derry /Sperrin region using this termiology before that, but have heard wexfordians utter it since.

Okay. I don't know why they'd use such redundant terms, but there's nowt as queer as folk.