Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: stephenite on February 24, 2013, 11:00:11 AM
What does this mean?

All contemporary opinions will be irrelevant in time, and the more uninformed an opinion is the quicker it will be irrelevant.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 24, 2013, 08:43:26 AM
But if you want to dedicate a day to "all those who fought for Irish freedom", where do you draw the line? Surely that's the point. If SF want to include those in the PIRA, on what basis can they exclude the dissidents, who also consider themselves as fighting for 'Irish freedom'?

Yes, it would be fraught to be sure, but to continuously misascribe re the Omagh bombers, etc., does nothing to shed any light.

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 24, 2013, 01:15:58 PM
But if you want to dedicate a day to "all those who fought for Irish freedom", where do you draw the line? Surely that's the point. If SF want to include those in the PIRA, on what basis can they exclude the dissidents, who also consider themselves as fighting for 'Irish freedom'?

Yes, it would be fraught to be sure, but to continuously misascribe re the Omagh bombers, etc., does nothing to shed any light.
Omagh is a red herring - there are plenty of relevant examples.

muppet

Quote from: Itchy on February 24, 2013, 10:39:53 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 24, 2013, 02:00:01 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on February 23, 2013, 03:00:34 PM
I don't care who/what you bring up from 1916, the War of Independence, the Civil War, 1798, the Cromwellian times, anything.
I wasn't around in those times, I don't have any great knowledge or opinion on what happened then...

Indeed, your ignorance of your own history is blissful, and precisely why your opinion will count for diddly-squat in a decade or two.

Incidentally, enlighten me please as to the last time SF extolled the Republican virtues of the Omagh bombers, or such, that you incessantly bleat on about.

Where does every other country draw the line? Anyway, was listening to a SF rep on the last word and idea was a bit more than remembering those who fought for Irish freedom. It was about celebrating the republic, the ideals of a republic an remembering those who fought for it. Nothing wrong with that unless of course you are looking for problems. Might be best to wait till there are 32 counties in the republic though.

Why remember the murderers of McCabe and Morley while forgetting Davitt and O'Connell simply because they didn't shoot enough people? Are the only Irish worth remembering the killers? Is that who we are?
MWWSI 2017

Itchy

What about Dan Breen, the atrocities of 1798 etc. Does that mean we can't remember. Its typical blue shirt shite yet spouting lads and selective history is their speciality.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 24, 2013, 04:03:45 PM
Omagh is a red herring - there are plenty of relevant examples.

All the more reason not to be crassly inaccurate about it then.

muppet

Quote from: Itchy on February 24, 2013, 04:20:11 PM
What about Dan Breen, the atrocities of 1798 etc. Does that mean we can't remember. Its typical blue shirt shite yet spouting lads and selective history is their speciality.

Why the need for British style celebration of war?

Do we need to imitate Poppy Day?

'Croppy Day' anyone?
MWWSI 2017

Itchy

Quote from: muppet on February 24, 2013, 04:25:58 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 24, 2013, 04:20:11 PM

Why the need for British style celebration of war?

Do we need to imitate Poppy Day?

'Croppy Day' anyone?

We are celebrating Ireland you idiot, not war. I don't foresee people being forced to celebrate it either so nothing like poppy day. Are you ashamed if Ireland Muppet?

Rossfan

Did SF came up with this idea as a result of their slide in the opinion polls?  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Itchy on February 24, 2013, 04:45:30 PM
We are celebrating Ireland you idiot, not war. I don't foresee people being forced to celebrate it either so nothing like poppy day. Are you ashamed if Ireland Muppet?

Ad hominem.

Stage one as usual masking the complete lack of an argument.

MWWSI 2017

Itchy

Quote from: muppet on February 24, 2013, 04:58:18 PM

Ad hominem.

Away with your auld bullshit about stage 1. You can't answer a question so you try to put some sort of derogatory classification on the questioner.

muppet

Quote from: Itchy on February 24, 2013, 05:18:49 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 24, 2013, 04:58:18 PM

Ad hominem.

Away with your auld bullshit about stage 1. You can't answer a question so you try to put some sort of derogatory classification on the questioner.

Your question isn't meant to be answered. It is simply an insult along with the rest of your post.

SF are losing in the polls to Fianna Fáil. Gerry is simply flying a political kite to fool supporters into thinking he is doing something.

You took the bait and went off fighting the world on the net instead of asking why SF are slipping.
MWWSI 2017

Itchy

I never voted sf before. But I have pride in my country and where we came from and I think the idea has merit. You brought up extreme examples of people being killed as some sort of reason that this is a bad idea while our history, and the history of every country is riddled with events like this. You would be supporting this if fg came up with it I wager. Its not the idea you don't like rather the source of the idea. By the way, sf were doing ok in polls until today's one so that's bullshit as well.

muppet

Quote from: Itchy on February 24, 2013, 05:29:58 PM
I never voted sf before. But I have pride in my country and where we came from and I think the idea has merit. You brought up extreme examples of people being killed as some sort of reason that this is a bad idea while our history, and the history of every country is riddled with events like this. You would be supporting this if fg came up with it I wager. Its not the idea you don't like rather the source of the idea. By the way, sf were doing ok in polls until today's one so that's bullshit as well.

Firstly I do not support FG.

Secondly it is not a real idea. He isn't serious. FG, FF, Labour, Independants, PDs and gay teddies will not support it because of the McCabe murder, Morley murder etc. so it has zero chance of flying in the 26.

It is a weak political stunt but it seems the usual suspects blindly buy it.

MWWSI 2017

Ball DeBeaver

Exactly how is Omagh different from :-

Enniskillen
Darkley
Shankill
Tullyvallen
La Mon
Bloody Friday
Kingsmills
Teebane

Which of these deserve to be described as heroic acts for Irish freedom?
ani ohevet et Yisrael.
אני אוהבת את ישראל