The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 16, 2010, 10:16:42 PM
Posted earlier on that now is the time to rebuild as well. The WC is winnable imho.

Gavin Duffy is the only remaining full back in the squad, expect him to start. I rue Felix Jone's injury as well.

i said that to someone at the weekend and got laughed out of the place ! it isn't that crazy a suggestion.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Onlooker

Come on lads.  Ireland have 2 chances of winning the World Cup (slim and none) and Slim has gone home.  For the World Cup we are quarter final material.

muppet

Quote from: Onlooker on February 16, 2010, 10:30:13 PM
Come on lads.  Ireland have 2 chances of winning the World Cup (slim and none) and Slim has gone home.  For the World Cup we are quarter final material.

A Mick McMediocrity fan?
MWWSI 2017

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: muppet on February 16, 2010, 10:36:27 PM

A Mick McMediocrity fan?

No a Mayo fan. Same thing i suppose !

Capt Pat

First up, we are still alive in this championship. This woolly thinking inflicted on us by the media that we are completely knocked out is totally false. IF wales beat France with a bit to spare and we beat England and then wales with a bit to spare, we are back in poll position with Scotland to play at home in the final game.

The world cup is winnable and it was the last time as well when we collapsed for an as of yet to be explained reason. we need to go into it positively an with our best experienced players like England had in 2003. Our chances are very good if we hit the ground running and play to the best of our ability while avoiding injuries.

trileacman

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on February 16, 2010, 10:10:05 PM
the next 3 games is the time to experiment definately. we cant defend our crown, so lets build on re-gaining it in 2011, along with winning the world cup (maybe im looking too much am i ? )
Away to England and at home to Wales?
Fcuk no!
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 16, 2010, 09:55:57 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 16, 2010, 07:31:36 PM

The nature of the performance may prove a blessing for Ireland. Kidney now has a mandate to change the team around. He doesn't have to keep any unbeaten run going and Ireland are not contenders for this year's 6 Nations. Building for WC2011 now has to be the main aim. I remember England getting a similar shock in Paris back in 2002 when they reckoned they were they number 1 team in the world. 18 months later, they proved that beyond all doubt.

I agree with nearly all of that post, but I can't understand the highlighted bit. How can one defeat spell the end of a championship bid entirely? Naturally France are favourites, but they are in Cardiff next, and that's not a gimme. They will also struggle with England, because they won't bully the English pack.

Ireland are 3rd favourites at the moment, but I don't think this championship will be won with a grand slam. If Ireland win in Twickenham next up, and Wales do the French in Cardiff, it's game on again with 4 teams with 1 defeat. That's not inconceivable.

Points difference is the biggest problem now.
France would have to do more than lose a game, they'd have to be whupped. Or else Ireland cutting lose and start scoring tries and winning big which is unlikely.
The French have England in Paris too, so really the mis-firing Welsh would be their biggest threat.

Olaf

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 16, 2010, 07:31:36 PM
I had the dubious pleasure of being there on Saturday. The result is a welcome wake up call for Ireland and a reminder of where the team really stands.

I'm not sure how it looked on tv, but the biggest difference to me was the aggression and physicality of the French. The way they smashed Ireland at times reminded me of what they did to South Africa in November. They sufficiently rattled Ireland to induce some of the inexplicable basic errors that lead to the scores.

Another big problem was that Ireland were too often working off slow ball. O'Leary is not the snappiest of passers, but this was worsened by him seemingly waiting for other players to get into formation before delivering. Contrast this to the French mentality - they play off the cuff, take risks, improvise and invent as they go along. Ireland seem too concerned with implementing pre-meditated moves and patterns.

Ireland's lack of aggression at the breakdown doesn't help. Wallace and Heaslip in the back row are decent ball carriers and decent  operators in the loose, but they aren't brutish. That so much stock was placed on Ferris being fit beforehand, shows how Ireland are short in this regard. Ireland really need to do much better in slowing down the opposition ball and speeding up their own re-cycling.

The nature of the performance may prove a blessing for Ireland. Kidney now has a mandate to change the team around. He doesn't have to keep any unbeaten run going and Ireland are not contenders for this year's 6 Nations. Building for WC2011 now has to be the main aim. I remember England getting a similar shock in Paris back in 2002 when they reckoned they were they number 1 team in the world. 18 months later, they proved that beyond all doubt.

At this moment, Ireland's pack is too weak to play 10 man rugby and the team can't move the ball quickly enough and flat enough to play 15 man rugby. Looking at it another way, last year's Grand Slam was a good achievement because it came from grinding out results without playing much good rugby.

Kidney can now give players like Sexton, Ryan, Best, Court, O'Brien and an alternative scrum half a decent run with less pressure to go back to the "old reliables" if they don't perform straight away. As it stands Ireland wouldn't be at the races in the next WC with the 15 that started last weekend. I suspect Kidney probably knew that all along though and had a long term aim to phase certain players out of the team. That aspect of his job should be a bit easier now.

Spot on. It is a pity though that we have to wait for a comprehensive defeat before the management feel that they can move on this.

The evidence in a few positions (paricularly half backs and front row)  has been there for the last 3 years or so.

muppet

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on February 16, 2010, 10:44:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 16, 2010, 10:36:27 PM

A Mick McMediocrity fan?

No a Mayo fan. Same thing i suppose !

Couldn't be a true Mayo fan, we always think it's our year, right up until we wake up some Monday morning in August or September.
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 17, 2010, 12:00:47 AM
First up, we are still alive in this championship. This woolly thinking inflicted on us by the media that we are completely knocked out is totally false. IF wales beat France with a bit to spare and we beat England and then wales with a bit to spare, we are back in poll position with Scotland to play at home in the final game.

Ireland have a chance if they win all their remaining games but it is very much an outside chance. France at most will lose one game and they still have Italy to play in Paris where they will likely rack up the points. And they already have a 37 point advantage over Ireland. That is too big a margin for Ireland to overcome to win the championship IMO.

Celt_Man

The Championship is still in the mix for Ireland definitely... France are the big favourites for it but still have to play Wales at home and England.   I do think Ireland will win their remaining games and Scotland have lost 3 of their starting backs last Saturday so I would be leaning towards a big winning margin there in the final game in Croke Park.  Out of our hands I know but in a sense the pressure will be off as in nothing to lose so I am looking forward to the last few games
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Hoof Hearted

Breaking News - Flannery banned for 6 weeks for kicking

Celt_Man

As expected....  >:(

Flannery misses the rest of the Six Nations

Wednesday, 17 February 2010 13:14

Ireland hooker Jerry Flannery has been banned for six weeks for kicking France winger Alexis Palisson in last Saturday's RBS 6 Nations match in Paris, ruling him out of the remainder of the championship.

Flannery was fortunate only to concede a penalty after his wild swing connected with Palisson after the Montauban winger had picked up the ball.

Referee Wayne Barnes consulted his touch judge Stuart Terheege, who believed the challenge to be a 'shoulder charge', and so Flannery escaped a potential red card.

Best will obviously start now... Will Cronin or Fogarty make the bench now?  Either way it should provide them with good exprience
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

lynchbhoy

imo that will improve the Irish team (best starting at hooker that is)!

however if Best gets inj - could be a disaster for Ireland !

Dinny Breen

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 17, 2010, 01:24:08 PM
imo that will improve the Irish team (best starting at hooker that is)!

however if Best gets inj - could be a disaster for Ireland !

I agree with you there, Flannery just hasn't been as dynamic this year, probably lack of game time. I rate Cronin very highly and think he'll be able to step up without any worries.
#newbridgeornowhere