The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Who will be blindside if Ferris does not make it? Quinlan is option number 1 I think, after that Jennings, Sean O'Brien. What about Neil Best still playing pretty well for Northampton I think. I would preferr best or Quinlan.  I do not think Mclaughlin is good enough at this point???

Cullen has to go, ok against the Italians. The lads were bieng very nice about him maybe keeping his place for the French game and will make Declan Kidney out to be a big meanie for dropping him if O'Callaghan is fit, but ye cannae change the laws of Physics Capatain.

Donnellys Hollow

Quinny wasn't even among the 11 players called up today so that rules him out. Best seems to have fallen off the radar since the Churchill Cup too.

McLaughlin did ok on Saturday. Not sure I'd go with him in Paris though. O'Brien played at 6 against Souh Africa after Ferris went off injured and didn't look out of place. He's also a more dynamic ball-carrier than any of the other options. That will be needed to tie in Dusatoir and Harinordoquy who are capable of doing all sorts of damage if they're let loose. I must admit I've never been a fan of Jennings. He's a talented openside but I don't think he has the temperament needed. Always likely to give away a stupid penalty at the wrong time (think Welford Road when ROG kicked a last minute penalty to beat Leicester from half way).

Cullen had a great day at the lineout on Saturday but he isn't as prominent around the pitch as DOC. The Irish pack are going to have to carry ball and tie in the French back-row on Saturday to have any chance. With this in mind, I'd give DOC the nod if fit.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

GaillimhIarthair

IRELAND Team & Replacements (v France, RBS 6 Nations
Championship, Stade de France, February 13, kick-off
16:30 gmt):

15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
9 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)

1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
3 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
4 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
6 - A.N.Other
7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)

muppet

O'Callaghan obviously isn't fit as he would definitely have started against the French. Other than that Earls for Trimble doesn't weaken anything, it probably improves the team actually.
MWWSI 2017

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2010, 02:05:33 PM
O'Callaghan obviously isn't fit as he would definitely have started against the French. Other than that Earls for Trimble doesn't weaken anything, it probably improves the team actually.
Be careful I was near crucified last week for suggesting Trimble didn't have it at this level.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Capt Pat

O'Callaghan didn't get fit on time so the irish pack willl have its work cut out for them. Cullen will get tossed around the place. At least Earls might add a bit of creativity and penetration to the backline. I thought he might have given Shane Horgan a place in the squad instead of Trimble.

What is with the 9 replacements, does everybody get a game and we are all winners or is this not a serious competition.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 09, 2010, 06:23:01 PM
O'Callaghan didn't get fit on time so the irish pack willl have its work cut out for them. Cullen will get tossed around the place. At least Earls might add a bit of creativity and penetration to the backline. I thought he might have given Shane Horgan a place in the squad instead of Trimble.

What is with the 9 replacements, does everybody get a game and we are all winners or is this not a serious competition.

2 of the replacements will be taken out one way or another closer to the game.... but yes Declan Kidney just wants everyone to go out and enjoy themselves on Saturday with rugby being the real winner at the end of the day ::) ::)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Bord na Mona man

Confirmation of Ferris fitness expected today

Stephen Ferris is expected to be deemed fit to play in Ireland's crucial RBS 6 Nations match against France later today.

The Ulster flanker has been out of action since 23 January, when he injured his knee during his province's away victory against Bath in the Heineken Cup.

The injury meant Ferris was advised to be 'non-weight bearing' by medical staff for a week, but such is his importance to Declan Kidney's side that he has been given extra time to recover for Ireland's clash with France at the Stade de France on Saturday.

And a space in Declan Kidney's starting line-up was kept for Ferris when the Ireland team was announced on Tuesday. Ferris has been training with the squad this week and with no adverse developments yet reported, he is expected to be confirmed in the Ireland starting line-up at around 12.30pm today.

The final stage in Jonathan Sexton's recovery is also expected to be confirmed today. The Leinster out-half continued his recovery from a minor leg muscle tear by returning to goal kicking on Wednesday.

Sexton is in line to take a place on the bench for Ireland's trip to Paris although two substitutes will have to be taken out of the current line-up as nine, not including Ferris, have been named.

Of the backs, either Sexton, Paddy Wallace or Andrew Trimble will probably have to be taken out of the squad.

A decision will also have to be taken on the composition of the bench in the forwards. Kevin McLaughlin, who started against Italy, Sean O'Brien and Donnacha Ryan are the current lock and back-row cover but again, that will be probably add up to one too many.

Ryan is almost certain to be retained as he is the second row back-up and McLaughlin could be the man who finds himself left out if Ferris makes the starting line-up.

Ireland are due to fly out to Paris this afternoon.

Bord na Mona man

Good news about Ferris, so long as he isn't off the pace.
If Sexton is fit, a good test of his ability would be to come on in the last 20 minutes and try and get the backs moving with a running game.

I think Earls could be the secret attacking weapon. Still relatively unknown at international level, if he gets the ball to stick, he can cause problems. His defensive abilities will be tested by Clerc though.

Not gifting the French the traditional 20 or 30 point head start would be a help.  ;)

ha ha derry

If Ferris is fit to start it,s a very formidable back row. I,ll go for an Ireland win.

lynchbhoy

actually neil best is prob the only other decent exp replacement for ferris.
McLaughlin will prb be good , O'Brien better as an attacker than a defender, Jennings is good but hasnt got to the level where people thought he would get to (yet at least).
So strange that neil best is out in the wilderness. Prob because of the emergence of ferris.

I dont like a few selections in that team.
Against france they could be shown up.

i'd replace darcy, oleary,flannery and cullen
with
wallace , redden, best and ryan (though for a change we dont have much option at second row). Cullen is too indiciplined and could cost a win through kickable penalties.
As the french are not as good in second row or kicking prowess he might get away with not being as good as we usually have in our second row department.

If france dont self explode , I cant see us beating them with darcy's selfishness, olearys stupid box kicking and not feeding the backs, flannerys anonimity in the game and cullen giving away penalties.
I hope I am wrong though.

muppet

How about reversing the habit of decades and really attacking them in the 1st couple of scrums.

In the past they have done it to us and their early dominance in those games stemed from that. It is only later on after a period of damage limitation that we realise there is nothing to fear and then we start to play ourselves.

So this time 'front up' or whatever the rugby speak is right from the off.
MWWSI 2017

Celt_Man

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 11, 2010, 10:05:30 AM
actually neil best is prob the only other decent exp replacement for ferris.
McLaughlin will prb be good , O'Brien better as an attacker than a defender, Jennings is good but hasnt got to the level where people thought he would get to (yet at least).
So strange that neil best is out in the wilderness. Prob because of the emergence of ferris.

I dont like a few selections in that team.
Against france they could be shown up.

i'd replace darcy, oleary,flannery and cullen
with
wallace , redden, best and ryan (though for a change we dont have much option at second row). Cullen is too indiciplined and could cost a win through kickable penalties.
As the french are not as good in second row or kicking prowess he might get away with not being as good as we usually have in our second row department.

If france dont self explode , I cant see us beating them with darcy's selfishness, olearys stupid box kicking and not feeding the backs, flannerys anonimity in the game and cullen giving away penalties.
I hope I am wrong though.

Jaysus I think Cullen is grand with his discipline if anything an improvement - discipline wise - on O'Callaghan who can be wild at times

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 11, 2010, 02:05:04 PM
Jaysus I think Cullen is grand with his discipline if anything an improvement - discipline wise - on O'Callaghan who can be wild at times
OCallaghan used to be a disaster in terms of giving away penalties etc, but in the last two seasons has stopped that - imo at least.
Cullen last sat was poor in th discipline stakes. A few petulent actions around rucks and that pushing in the lineout would give away penalties and possibly even a yellow card if he does it again on sat.

Celt_Man

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 11, 2010, 02:49:09 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 11, 2010, 02:05:04 PM
OCallaghan used to be a disaster in terms of giving away penalties etc, but in the last two seasons has stopped that - imo at least.
Cullen last sat was poor in th discipline stakes. A few petulent actions around rucks and that pushing in the lineout would give away penalties and possibly even a yellow card if he does it again on sat.

Well I didn't see the game on Saturday but heard Shane Byrne on the radio saying he was very impressed with Cullen as he got into the faces of the Italians whenever he could - which is exactly what was needed.

O'Callaghan has improved a fair bit in the last while but one dopey penalty sticks out from the match in Cardiff from last year... patting one of the Welsh boys on the head after they gave away a penalty and the ref immediately reversed his decision... it was funny though looking back at it now