The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: trileacman on November 30, 2009, 11:35:30 AM
Quote from: screenexile on November 30, 2009, 11:31:26 AM
Kearney lapped up everything that was thrown at him. He has a real chance to establish himself as the best full back in the world with Byrne out. In fairness I think he is better than Byrne anyway but the next few months will confirm this.

He's a poorer attacker than Byrne and scores alot less tries. As much as I want Kearny to be the best full back in the world I dont think he is as good as everyone makes out.

Can't agree with that. Ireland on the whole score less tries than Wales did when they won their 2 Grand Slams. In proportion I would say Kearney will score just as many.

As for his attacking while Kearney wouldn't have the same pace as Byrne I think he's a great broken field runner on the counter attack and his finishing skills will improve immensely over the next few years. Remember Byrne has 6 years on him and didn't make his Wales debut until he was 25 and Kearney already has 2 International seasons behind him at 23. I firmly believe Kearney will establish himself this year!

muppet

Kearney lapped up everything that was thrown at him. He has a real chance to establish himself as the best full back in the world with Byrne out. In fairness I think he is better than Byrne anyway but the next few months will confirm this.

He's a poorer attacker than Byrne and scores alot less tries. As much as I want Kearny to be the best full back in the world I dont think he is as good as everyone makes out.

Byrne is a better attacker but Kearney is as good a defender and there is no one better under the high ball which is sadly a huge part of today's game. Kearney is also 5 or 6 years younger.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

absolutely spot on at last someone has it right. How dumb is de villers. After seeing kearney catch everything under the sun in the Lions tour he uses the same gameplan last saturday. I mean dense or what?

The aussies showed how to limit kearney- don't kick to him. Now he's still a very fine rugby player and one of our best but he not the world's best FB.
That is an insult to Lee Byrne and Muliana who gave a display last saturday night against France that was sublime. Kearney hasn't the gas or outside break to be the worlds best. He's about 3rd best which is no shame whatsoever.
The only Irish players who are the world's best are BOD and POC. And thats a fact. When they go we will then realise how good they were.

orangeman

Odds on the Six Nations :

France 7/4 fav
Ireland 3/1
Wales 4/1
England 9/2
Scotland 20/1
Italy - any price you want.

johnneycool

Good win for Ireland but major concerns about how easy the scrum was overwhelmed when South Africa got going especially when bull Hayes is on the way out. Young Healy will improve and probably got a good education on saturday which will stand by him. Is there no other young props out there who need a bit of game time?

Dan Carter gave a master class in Marseille and was probably closest to giving his colleague and captain Richie McCaw a run for IRB player of the year. Pity big Popie didn't get him signed for St Mary's a few year back  ;D

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: trileacman on November 30, 2009, 01:07:17 AM
Whilst Im aware of the other two's GAA background is that one about Earls true? Didnt realise he had much of a GAA background? ???

Earls played a bit of hurling and football when he was younger. Heard he played for the South Liberties club (JP McManus' colors), but could be wrong on that.

As for the Kearney/Byrne argument, both are similarish players. Neither are great front up tacklers but both have huge left boots. Kearney is more solid under the high ball and Byrne probably has the edge as a broken field runner. Kearney is six years younger than Byrne though.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

gallsman

Quote from: CountyGK on November 29, 2009, 12:05:20 PM
heard some of the bbc analysts a few weeks back sayin that france would be favourites for the 6 nations, dallilageo said england would win it, others said wales as well, but ireland are surely favourites big time

France definitely favourites.

gallsman

Quote from: deiseach on November 30, 2009, 09:06:35 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 29, 2009, 11:23:34 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 28, 2009, 11:01:19 PM
I'm a total philistine when it comes to the egg chasing lads but O'Driscoll's tackle at the end was unreal. Is he the best in the world in his position??? Every time I watch the team play he comes up with something special
No doubt he's the best 13 in the world .

I'd go so far as to say he is the best centre I've ever seen. I remember against England last year Ireland were camped on their line and needed someone to get the hard yard so they threw the ball to O'Driscoll, shoulder injury and all, and there was only ever going to be one result. Some ladyboy.

Francis (much as I despise him) had a great article in the Tribune last week about the arrival of Pocock and the advent of the crucial "search and destroy" role for modern day flankers. Mentioned, quite rightly that Ireland had one of the best in the world at that particular role, but unfortunately he plays at 13!

gallsman

Quote from: INDIANA on November 30, 2009, 11:55:22 AM

absolutely spot on at last someone has it right. How dumb is de villers. After seeing kearney catch everything under the sun in the Lions tour he uses the same gameplan last saturday. I mean dense or what?

The aussies showed how to limit kearney- don't kick to him. Now he's still a very fine rugby player and one of our best but he not the world's best FB.
That is an insult to Lee Byrne and Muliana who gave a display last saturday night against France that was sublime. Kearney hasn't the gas or outside break to be the worlds best. He's about 3rd best which is no shame whatsoever.
The only Irish players who are the world's best are BOD and POC. And thats a fact. When they go we will then realise how good they were.

Much as I love POC, and even though Matfield was bested on Saturday, I'd still have either he or Chris Jack as the #1

muppet

Do you understand the difference between a fact and an opinion?
MWWSI 2017

Rav67

Quote from: muppet on November 30, 2009, 01:37:48 PM

Course he does.  What INDIANA says is fact and what everyone else says is opinion.

Do you understand the difference between a fact and an opinion?

Course he does. What INDIANA says is fact and what everyone else says is opinion.

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on November 30, 2009, 11:50:53 AM

Byrne is a better attacker but Kearney is as good a defender and there is no one better under the high ball which is sadly a huge part of today's game. Kearney is also 5 or 6 years younger.
Don't really see how this is a major point. Yes it gives him time to develop into the worlds FB but doesnt aid the argument that now he is a better player. Agreed scoring alot less tries is a poor argument against Kearny but he is not as threatening an broken field runner as Byrne or Muiliana. Comparatively his open field running is probably not much higher a quality than Daiman Traille. He just looks better than him because he runs more porpuseful lines but in terms of outcome of these runs both would produce a very similar field position.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on November 30, 2009, 11:50:53 AM

Byrne is noticeably a much better attacker than Kearney, much the same standard of defender, similar kicking lengths and only slightly less capable under the high ball compared to Kearney. It would not be considered a weak point in his repetoire. Overall (and i have absolutely no love for the Welsh) i would rate Byrne higher, but that's not to say Kearney cant make good on his promise. Kearney is also hamstrung by Kidneys tactics. Payne or Hurley were not attacking FB's and Kidney is shaping Kearney the same.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

GalwayBayBoy

Actually many of the SH posters on the rugby sites rate Kearney ahead of Byrne and even Muliaina. Kearney has more often than not saved his best displays for the SH teams (Ireland's 2008 Summer tour, 2009 Lions tour, 2009 Autumn internationals) . Byrne hasn't to the same degree. And Muliaina despite finishing off a great score the last night hasn't been playing that well this year by his own high standards. Not saying Kearney is the best but he is very highly thought off in rugby circles down south.

They probably rate Kearney higher than they do POC to be honest. Mainly again because he tends to nearly always play well against the SH sides whereas POC has mixed the very good (the last day for example) with the not so good (2005 Lions tour). As great a player as he has been for Ireland I doubt you would find many SH rugby fans who rate him as the world's best in his position. They would say he's up there but behind the likes of Matfield, Botha, Thorn, etc.

INDIANA

Just look at his international strike rate compared to Muliana. I mean how deluded are we in this country? He's an excellent player without an outside break in my opinion.

That can't make you the worlds best. He's not suddenly going to get pace that he doesn't have. If he had Keith Earls pace he'd be the best because he'd be able to break the line. But he rarely ever hits the line for Ireland or Leinster. Granted he kicks better than muliana and byrne but the best fullbacks are about strike-rate and hitting the line- that what distinguises the great from the very good.

Its like people saying Ciaran mc donald was the best forward of the modern era despite having only one foot.