BBC - 2 weeks on

Started by bloody mary, November 19, 2007, 07:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloody mary

Has anything changed... Let's see... Ulster Club semis on Sunday at Clones and Omagh. 7000 at Clones, something similar at Omagh. Radio Ulster coverage – no preview, no commentary, no programme. But over the weekend, they had commentary from France on Friday on the ulster rugby, a full afternoon of sport on Saturday and commentary on Saturday night from Windsor park. So that's rugby on Friday, soccer on Saturday and damn all on Sunday. Sounds familiar Paddy Heaney? Did they not think after the outcry that it might be an idea to have better coverage of the semis or would that be admitting they were wrong, which of course they would never do cos they never think they are.

What about tv... there has never been as clear a case of tokenism as there was on Friday. Right at the end of the sports news, there was about 10 seconds of Paddy Bradely. It was so obvious this was them trying to give it a mention but it was so short and tagged on that it only highlighted their effort at trying to give it a mention, if you know what I mean. In short, they don't really want to do it and they don't know how to do it.

Tonight, Monday, they had loads on NI (fair play), a live interview with has-been Wayne McCullough about him maybe being stupid enough to get in the ring again. That's obviously more important to them than the gaelic report cos it was given twice as much time. maybe its because Watson is his mate.

I've made a few enquiries in the last week or so and it appears that the bbc head of sport was a surprise appointment last year. He was a news reporter and still beat off candidates from the sports office, including some from a gaelic background. Who appointed him? Well, his boss is Mike Edgar, then Peter Johnson (never heard of him) is the overall boss. Imagine if the top layers of the bbc were all from a catholic background and they dropped the Irish League coverage...

raisins

Before we Beeb bash look at UTV tonight. "This year's Ulster Club final will be a clash between Antrim and Tyrone." Jesus! Did Crossmaglen suddenly become the Tyrone Champions? What a feckin error!

Rossfan

Why dont all GAA clubs,members and followers across the 6 counties send in bucket loads of complaining emails every Monday/Tuesday until they get the message.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orior

To be fair, the BBC NI website is the only news website north or south where I can get guaranteed final scores on a Sunday afternoon.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

never kickt a ball

Did I hear UTV say the Ulster Club senior final will be between teams' from Antrim and Tyrone?  ???

Bogball XV

Quote from: Orior on November 19, 2007, 07:41:52 PM
To be fair, the BBC NI website is the only news website north or south where I can get guaranteed final scores on a Sunday afternoon.
agree, but only for ulster results.

KIDDO

Jerome Quinn had a match reportfrom Clones , after the 6pmradio  news on sunday night.

Orior

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 19, 2007, 11:10:29 PM
If it is too expensive to run a radio commentary or TV from games, there is a viable alternative used on the BBC website for both soccer and rugby.  There would be no problem for the BBC to have someone either on the phone or uploading via broadband from the match to its site.  The live update page for soccer and rugby automatically updates every two minutes.  Minimal cost.  Allegedly, the former board member, Goals Will Come, moved to the web based section of BBC sport after his appearance in Windsor Park in his Tyrone jersey and away from frontline sports reporting.  Perhaps he could examine the possibility of live update for football matches.  The detail on the live updates for soccer and rugby can be very good in the absence of a radio broadcast.

Tell us more.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: never kickt a ball on November 19, 2007, 07:53:09 PM
Did I hear UTV say the Ulster Club senior final will be between teams' from Antrim and Tyrone?  ???

Heard that myself...but at least Clarie McCollum is very easy on the eye... so we can forgive her!  ;)

QuoteI'm replying to your recent complaint about the BBC's coverage of Gaelic games.

Our programming in this area, whilst extensive, is also affected by the cost/availability of broadcast rights and wider budgetary constraints within the BBC. GAA fixtures are an important element of our sports output however, and we are aware of their popularity with local audiences.  Our current GAA coverage extends across radio, television and online and includes Ulster Championship matches, the McCrory Cup, the National Football and Hurling Leagues, the Sigerson Cup and the All Ireland Championship (when Ulster teams are involved). TG4 holds the television rights for live club fixtures, but we do show club highlights on BBC Newsline. Contractual issues mean that we can only cover games involving the Ulster teams at All Ireland stage on BBC radio. We do however, provide live radio match commentaries from National League fixtures and our dedicated coverage of Gaelic games on Sunday Sportsound is complemented by results and match analysis as part BBC Radio Ulster's 18.00 news bulletin on Sunday afternoons and within the following day's Good Morning Ulster.
GAA fixtures, stories and personalities are also featured within other aspects of BBCNI's output, including Season Ticket on local television, BBC Newsline, Final Score, Saturday Sportsound and as an element of our online sports offering.

BBCNI wants to maximise the reach, impact and relevance of its sports programming. We are currently involved in detailed negotiations with the GAA's Central Council in relation to broadcast rights for Gaelic games over the next 3yrs. If our application is successful we would hope to significantly increase the volume of live Gaelic Football coverage on BBCNI television from 08/09 onwards.

Funding constraints have affected all our sports programming on local radio (including soccer, motorcycling and rugby) and BBC output in this area will always involve difficult editorial decisions about priorities (both scheduling and financial) and the need to balance/reflect different sporting interests and activities. In all of this we will wish to take careful account of audience feedback and research. The cost of rights for sporting events can present a real challenge however, and the marketplace has become (and will likely remain) intensely competitive. Despite such difficulties, we continue to take pride in the volume, range and quality of our GAA coverage. BBCNI's commitments in this area compare favourably with its programming about other sports, including soccer and rugby, and we remain hopeful that our GAA coverage on local television might be enhanced over time subject to the successful conclusion of discussions with the Central Council.

I'm grateful for your interest in our sports output and have shared your concerns with relevant management colleagues within BBCNI.

Yours sincerely

Shane Glynn
Executive Producer Sport - BBCNI

Sandy Hill

If it is too expensive to run a radio commentary or TV from games, there is a viable alternative used on the BBC website for both soccer and rugby.  There would be no problem for the BBC to have someone either on the phone or uploading via broadband from the match to its site.  The live update page for soccer and rugby automatically updates every two minutes.  Minimal cost.  Allegedly, the former board member, Goals Will Come, moved to the web based section of BBC sport after his appearance in Windsor Park in his Tyrone jersey and away from frontline sports reporting.  Perhaps he could examine the possibility of live update for football matches.  The detail on the live updates for soccer and rugby can be very good in the absence of a radio broadcast.

I accept what you are saying TYP, but the main problem may be the lack of willingness of the BBC.
"Stercus accidit"

scalder

Most organisations work on the basis that the hue and cry will abate – as it has done here, I really hope Brolly and co do go down the legal route as this might force their hands. Why are the Ulster council so quiet?

zoyler

Its probably all about budgets whisch are now set for the immediate future.  Money was set aside to cover the soccer and rugby but the GAA was ignored except maybe for the final.  When they were setting the budgets theirnatural inclination to look after their own came to the fore.

When the row started they then sought to shift the agenda to television which is a totally different area.  We are talking small money for radio coverage and they are not prepared to spend it.  

The only way to change this is to strat screaming and keep screaming.  WE should complain not just to BBC Belfst but London as well.  We should have the matter raised in Stormont & Westminister.  Its not about covering soccer and rugby and not covering GAA - its about parity of esteem and giving all sports a fair crack of the whip.  The evidence is that this is not happening - it could not be more clear cut andwe just have to keep shouting about it and telling them that their response to date is just not acceptable.

orangeman

2 weeks on - they're still bigots !

Bogball XV

I don't know if it's cost that's the problem, the radio link to the bourgoin rugby game was down for most of the first half of the game - but we then got coverage direct from Jim Neilly's mobile phone (roaming charges from france etc....) - quality wasn't bad at all - actually, they could just do that for us - get one of them cheap mobile deals with 3 or whoever, you know 1800 mins a month for £30 or whatever, then send a lok of boys round the auld club grounds and let them phone in commentary.  There you have it - gaa broadcasting costing next to nothing!!

red hander

'but at least Clarie McCollum is very easy on the eye'

Aye, Lawrie Sanchez thought so too