Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quite easily. The odd big shot and blistering combo looks good but doesnt beat a steady scoring fighter. You see it different.  That's your call.

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 30, 2014, 12:19:29 AM
Quote from: ONeill on November 30, 2014, 12:17:09 AM
How the feck did one give it 3 rounds to Eubank?

Was thinking that myself.

Eubank was very frustrating, had he done anything in the opening 5 rounds he'd have won that relatively easily!

You had Saunders by 2. I had him by 3...not a huge difference

Christmas Lights

Hoping for another entertaining Tyson Fury fight here  ;D

ONeill

Chisora looking like a loyalist rioter.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

Quote from: JoG2 on November 30, 2014, 12:22:09 AM

Eubank was very frustrating, had he done anything in the opening 5 rounds he'd have won that relatively easily!

Yes, but one of the judges had Eubank by 3.
That was never a square ball!!

ONeill

Quote from: JoG2 on November 30, 2014, 12:19:46 AM
Quite easily. The odd big shot and blistering combo looks good but doesnt beat a steady scoring fighter. You see it different.  That's your call.

You on the glue?

ONeill

Fury/Chisora...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BennyHarp

Quote from: ONeill on November 30, 2014, 12:58:58 AM
Fury/Chisora...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Brutal, it's shows how bad the heavyweights has become that this is an eliminator for a world title shot.
That was never a square ball!!

quit yo jibbajabba

cheers oneill. good link. woeful fight. stayin up to watch that dung...

Mickey Linden

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 30, 2014, 12:30:46 AM

This is what I don't get about boxing. Granted I'm no expert but I find it really strange that there can be so much variation in how professional judges see the fight. For one judge to score the fight to eubank by 3 rounds is baffling. Am I missing something? How does the scoring actually work?

AZOffaly

Did ye see Mickey Rourke boxing professionally at 62 or 63 years of age? Apparently he won a fixed fight against some lad that had a 1-9 record previously, a 29 year old. Looks dodgy alright, but not as dodgy as Mickey Rourke himself. Holy shit, what happened him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IScF_C_rJDg

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 01, 2014, 02:06:37 PM
Did ye see Mickey Rourke boxing professionally at 62 or 63 years of age? Apparently he won a fixed fight against some lad that had a 1-9 record previously, a 29 year old. Looks dodgy alright, but not as dodgy as Mickey Rourke himself. Holy shit, what happened him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IScF_C_rJDg

Just had a quick look at it there. . . jaysus have you ever seen anything as blatant!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Mickey Linden on November 30, 2014, 10:01:16 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on November 30, 2014, 12:30:46 AM

This is what I don't get about boxing. Granted I'm no expert but I find it really strange that there can be so much variation in how professional judges see the fight. For one judge to score the fight to eubank by 3 rounds is baffling. Am I missing something? How does the scoring actually work?
Lots of factors in scoring:

Nationality
Which fighter is at home
How thick the envelope in your dressing room is
Who gave you said envelope.

Atticus_Finch

Woke up like a kid at Christmas this morning hearing the news of Mayweather saying "yes" to a Pacquiao fight and even setting a date of May 2nd.

Mayweather has 2 more fights left of his 6 fight tv deal with Showtime and assuming he won those fights he would be 49-0. I always felt he might try angle the Pacquiao fight for his 50th fight when he would be a free agent and get the chance to earn those few more dollars that he desperately needs, possibly eclipsing Rocky Marciano's 49-0 record in the process. However, Mayweather and his adviser Al Haymon are not so slow at getting out the watering can and making the green on offer grow as much as possible. They may well decide the time for the fight is now between the top 2 pound for pound fighters*  The marketability of the fight was not what it once was with Pacquiao having sustained losses in recent years and Father Time gradually catching up with both fighters. Following Pacquiao's impressive win over Chris Algieri this could be the time to make the fight for Mayweather with Pacquiao prepared to accept the "poor man's" portion of the fight purse and also agreeing to all drug testing which had been a previous stumbling block. Bob Arum (Pacquiao's promoter) may be prepared to play his part for once as he also realises the time is now to tap the lucrative new market of China for potential massive PPV numbers.

It could well just happen this time round but I'm just not quite as believing as the kid at Christmas and will be keeping my free cancellation policy for the MGM Grand on the weekend of May 2nd very handy !

In other news, Andy Lee may have the best chance he ever will of winning a world title as he fights Matt Korobov for the vacant WBO middleweight belt on the undercard of the Tim Bradley vs Diego Chaves fight in Vegas tonight. Korobov was a great amateur but he hasn't shared the ring with that illustrious company as of late, while Andy Lee has gained some valuable experience particularly against Chavez Jnr and seems to be developing well under Adam Booth. Korobov deserves to be favourite and while I know I'll have a natural bias towards any Irish fighter I can't help but feel that Lee is value, with some bookmakers offering odds as big as 3/1 on his chances of winning tonight.

*due to the lack of competition in the heavyweight division I just can't have Klitschko as number 2 in the P4P list
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

bennydorano

What do you think of Khan v Alexander Af?