NFL Div 4 2020

Started by sligoman2, January 21, 2020, 12:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Well what can I say.  I'm fairly sure we will win a few games in 2020 unlike last year.  We are missing a few top players this year but hopefully will be in with a chance of promotion.  Crucial to get an away win in London to get the ball rolling.  Galvin seems to be making waves and enemies in Wexford so that should be interesting.  I have no idea how this division will play out, it's uncharted waters for us but I am hoping it will be a short visit.  4 away games does not help.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

bannside

London away is a bit of a banana skin for every team in this division....gone are the days of the 8am flight over, most counties treating that fixture with a bit more respect these days! We (Antrim) host Galvins Wexford on Sunday and a good start is important so heres hoping. Should be a good division this year, I'd be surprised if any county goes through unbeaten.

Give and Go

Davy Burke has made a great impact in Wicklow and they fancy their chances of promotion. Bit of a row over senior manager over ruling Kevin O Brien to prevent U20 players playing v Clare last week. Strong feeling this u20 team can take Dublin...
Galvin made a shrewd move to involve Cian Deely and with anyoiubg squad they can definitely create a big improvement on their 2019 form.
These south east neighbours to surprise during 2020.

bannside

Of all the teams in this division I'd say Limerick has made the biggest impression pre season. Three wins out of three in the Mc Grath cup, and putting 20 points on Cork in the final is particularly noteworthy. Newcastlewest no pretty place to be either on a wet and windy February day.

sligoman2

Quote from: bannside on January 22, 2020, 06:54:43 AM
Of all the teams in this division I'd say Limerick has made the biggest impression pre season. Three wins out of three in the Mc Grath cup, and putting 20 points on Cork in the final is particularly noteworthy. Newcastlewest no pretty place to be either on a wet and windy February day.

Yeah they could be a surprise packet alright.  We play them in the last game at home and I'm hoping there is something at stake at that point.

magpie seanie

magpie seanie

Anyway - good luck to Paul Taylor and the lads for Sunday and the season ahead. I'm cautiously optimistic taking into account the big losses of the two lads mentioned earlier.

sligoman2

Well we have already won more games this year than we did in all of last year.  2 lucky goals for O'connor And 2 goals for Pat Hughes in a minute kind of sums up the game. Banana skin avoided, next we welcome the boys from the glens.

bannside

Indeed Sligoman2, we keep meeting up every couple of years. This one could go either way. Niall Murphy retired?? Class act I thought any time he played against us.

Catch and Kick

Antrim always have fine ballers. Fancy them. and limerick.

magpie seanie

Quote from: bannside on January 26, 2020, 08:43:49 PM
Indeed Sligoman2, we keep meeting up every couple of years. This one could go either way. Niall Murphy retired?? Class act I thought any time he played against us.

Niall's taking a year out, not retired. He'll be back in white and black for next season.

Job done over in London and a better result than we'd have hoped for. Really big game next week in Markievicz. Hopefully we can get a good crowd to it. 4 Sligo lads started for London against us with another in their panel.

sligoman2

Good game so far in Markievicz, half time, sligo up by a point 9 to 8.  Great to see so many scores by the younger players O'Connor, Gaughan and Red Og.  Should be a good second half.

sligoman2

A one point win for us, came down to the wire as expected.  Patrick O'Connor man of the match, good choice for Captain and certainly justified the selection.  We are a young team and seem to be headed in the right direction.  Cunningham the standout player for Antrim. Tough result for Antrim, I think we deserved the win but need to reduce the amount of wides and easy turnovers.

Next we are off to Wickla...

sligoman

Quote from: sligoman2 on February 02, 2020, 03:40:45 PM
A one point win for us, came down to the wire as expected.  Patrick O'Connor man of the match, good choice for Captain and certainly justified the selection.  We are a young team and seem to be headed in the right direction.  Cunningham the standout player for Antrim. Tough result for Antrim, I think we deserved the win but need to reduce the amount of wides and easy turnovers.

Next we are off to Wickla...

Great result and fair play to the lads as we must have the youngest team in the country right now. I think Cawley and Ewing were the only outfield players over the age of 24.

Division 4 is probably the best thing for these lads at the minute, I said last year that relegation was probably a blessing to allow these lads get some confidence back and find their level given the inexperience they have.

We've about 4/5 players who I believe would be certain starters and probably our main men if available - Murphy, McDonnell, McIntyre, Kelly and Cian Breheny but for various reasons aren't available or in a position to commit.

Wicklow away next will be tough, every game is going to be a grind for us this year, there's no standout team but two from two is all we could ask for and we've now put ourselves in a good position.

Great to see two clean sheets as well after the cricket scores we let in last year.

bannside

Impressed with Sligo today, I had head that you were in a bit of disarray, but today you looked well organised hungry and have plenty of athleticism. We missed a pure sitter midway through the first half that might have settled us down, but to give you credit, you didnt allow us to settle. We are disappointed, we have never travelled particularly well, but still hopeful of keeping on track.  We will need to be better than today though if we are going be any real threat.